Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gin vs Vodka (Martini)

Gin versus Vodka (Martini)?

• Gin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vodka

• Either

• Neither

• Total voters

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Geesie said:
I like martinis, so I have gin in mine.
My wife likes vodka martinis.
One cannot make a martini with vodka. One can make a vodka martini.

Also, vermouth goes in. Otherwise it's cold gin in a fancy glass.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Gin. Vermouth. Twist.

NO olives.:eek:

Ever.

DerMann

Practically Family
Doran said:
All this talk has made me crave a martini. It's 2:51 PM. I must drive at about 5 PM to pick up my daughter.

Is it safe to have one (1) martini right now?

I would have 2 hours to absorb it.

Please advise.

Unless you're drinking the martini on an empty stomach, it won't do much.

Problems only arise after two or three for me, but I'm a big guy. Also, think of all the Manhattan executives and businessmen who would drive about in lunch hour traffic after have thee, four, or five martinis.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As some of the old Martini rhymes go:

One Martini, Two Martinis, Three Martinis, Floor....

Or in the words of the eloquent Miss Dorothy Parker - I like to have a Martini, two at the very most; three, I'm under the table, four I'm under my host!

And if I've posted it once, I've posted it dozens of times - let's all remember that if it's vodka, it's not a Martini. It's technically called a kangaroo according to the old bartending books.

Therefore...a Martini is gin, vermouth, stirred or shaken with ice with olives or twist.

If you want to have pickled onions in it, it becomes a Gibson.

Onions & black olives - it becomes an Althea Gibson. (From my Martini book - she came up with that herself!)

For me - I've been using Bellringer Gin lately and it's really nice and smooth. About 3 oz of that (from the freezer) into a shaker of ice, a little drizzle of vermouth, a couple dashes of orange bitters, and if I'm feeling like it, a little olive brine to make it a little dirty, shaken briskly and poured into my chilled Martini glass (I keep a few in the freezer). Or if I want it crystal clear - no brine, and stirred until frosty cold.

I then add a couple olives, a couple pickled onions and sprawl into the easy chair which already has, close at hand, some nibbly bits. Cheese, crackers, pepperoni, pepperoncinis, marinated mushrooms or olives - whatever's handy and strikes my fancy at the time.

I think tonight I'm going to try tossing in a few capers. I have thought of doing that before and never bothered, but the mention above piqued my curiosity.

A few flicks on the iPhone to fire up iTunes from the other room with some Frank, some Graham Dalby, some Mora's Modern Rhythmists, some old Cole Porter and in a short while, the day's insanity seems to wash away...

RE: iPhone iTunes Remote App - it turns your iPhone into a remote control for any iTunes library shared on your local (home) network. I found that awhile back and wonder how I lived without it.

Dr Doran

Just to see if I still hated it, and because there was no gin in the freezer, I had a vodka martini a few hours ago.

It was horrid.

DerMann

Practically Family
Doran said:
Just to see if I still hated it, and because there was no gin in the freezer, I had a vodka martini a few hours ago.

It was horrid.

Good to hear.

I'm somewhat proud to say that I've never had a vodka martini.

Seems that my peers are always looking to find drinks to mix vodka with, but gin can be sipped on with no or minimal mixing.

Gin is one of the finest liquors on the planet, it's shame that vodka has become so popular these days.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
As some of the old Martini rhymes go:

One Martini, Two Martinis, Three Martinis, Floor....

Or in the words of the eloquent Miss Dorothy Parker - I like to have a Martini, two at the very most; three, I'm under the table, four I'm under my host!

And if I've posted it once, I've posted it dozens of times - let's all remember that if it's vodka, it's not a Martini. It's technically called a kangaroo according to the old bartending books.

Therefore...a Martini is gin, vermouth, stirred or shaken with ice with olives or twist.

If you want to have pickled onions in it, it becomes a Gibson.

Onions & black olives - it becomes an Althea Gibson. (From my Martini book - she came up with that herself!)

For me - I've been using Bellringer Gin lately and it's really nice and smooth. About 3 oz of that (from the freezer) into a shaker of ice, a little drizzle of vermouth, a couple dashes of orange bitters, and if I'm feeling like it, a little olive brine to make it a little dirty, shaken briskly and poured into my chilled Martini glass (I keep a few in the freezer). Or if I want it crystal clear - no brine, and stirred until frosty cold.

I then add a couple olives, a couple pickled onions and sprawl into the easy chair which already has, close at hand, some nibbly bits. Cheese, crackers, pepperoni, pepperoncinis, marinated mushrooms or olives - whatever's handy and strikes my fancy at the time.

I think tonight I'm going to try tossing in a few capers. I have thought of doing that before and never bothered, but the mention above piqued my curiosity.

A few flicks on the iPhone to fire up iTunes from the other room with some Frank, some Graham Dalby, some Mora's Modern Rhythmists, some old Cole Porter and in a short while, the day's insanity seems to wash away...

RE: iPhone iTunes Remote App - it turns your iPhone into a remote control for any iTunes library shared on your local (home) network. I found that awhile back and wonder how I lived without it.

Mike in Seattle,

Your menu sounds exquisite!

I have a variation, which instead of music, I prepare likewise for a classic film. My pairings for the martini are sliced salami, green and black olives, mozzarella.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Wally_Hood said:
My pairings for the martini are sliced salami, green and black olives, mozzarella.

Nice, nice...

A home-tossed (from scratch, not out of a bottle) caesar salad is great with a Martini- GIN Martini. I've never had a vodkatini, so I can't offer an opinion of it's pairing.

stirred.;)

Undertow

Quad-shot of freezer chilled Grey Goose, neat, nestled in a martini glass.

You may wave the vermouth over the bottle, exclaim, "Abracadabra!", and throw olives at the audience if you like, but it's not entirely necessary - I'll enjoy my martini all the same. :p

I would drink a gin martini in a pinch, but since we're not discussing end-of-world scenarios, I'll leave that for another thread. ;)

Dr Doran

rumblefish said:
Nice, nice...

A home-tossed (from scratch, not out of a bottle) caesar salad is great with a Martini- GIN Martini. I've never had a vodkatini, so I can't offer an opinion of it's pairing.

stirred.;)

I love it.

I have been accused on several occasions of making the best Caesar salad that anyone had ever tasted.

Dr Doran

Undertow said:
I would drink a gin martini in a pinch, but since we're not discussing end-of-world scenarios, I'll leave that for another thread. ;)

:eek:fftopic: Great. Zombies are attacking your house, with the flesh of your neighbors hanging in grisly strips from their rotten teeth, and all you can think about is a damn drink. :p

Undertow

Doran said:
:eek:fftopic: Great. Zombies are attacking your house, with the flesh of your neighbors hanging in grisly strips from their rotten teeth, and all you can think about is a damn drink. :p

lol lol

Great scot, man; whatever you do, save the booze for godsake! We can find food and shelter somewhere else!

Bustercat

A-List Customer
No vermouth is bad enough, but no olives? That's a double shot in a fancy glass! :lol:

RE: vodka, I use this in my gibsons:

monopolowa.jpg

More flavor than the far more pricey stuff, and the viscosity (almost a little oily out of the freezer due to the potatos) makes it more interesting. Shake it hard and use good cocktail onions and vermouth and it's great. Even straight, feels like a meal.
Gotta love that label, too.

Now if I can get Trader Joes to carry Pikesville (or any) Rye, I can cut up my bevmo card.

Dr Doran

Bustercat said:
No vermouth is bad enough, but no olives? That's a double shot in a fancy glass! :lol:

RE: vodka, I use this in my gibsons:

monopolowa.jpg

More flavor than the far more pricey stuff, and the viscosity (almost a little oily out of the freezer due to the potatos) makes it more interesting. Shake it hard and use good cocktail onions and vermouth and it's great. Even straight, feels like a meal.
Gotta love that label, too.

Now if I can get Trader Joes to carry Pikesville (or any) Rye, I can cut up my bevmo card.

I'm an old friend to Monopolowa. We served it at my wedding (2003). I think a case of it was present. (My wife is Polish. Enough said.)

Busterkat, you're a hip character. We should hang out some time. Alameda is near me.

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Definitely. We've got some good bars around here. Lately my spot is the Speisekammer, $5-$6 FULL SIZE german draft beers, many choices. Great for summer. Takes me back.
Ever tried the gin? I can't find it anywhere anymore, but it is easy drinking. Very good budget tipple.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
Nice, nice...

stirred.;)

Rumblefish, sir, please share with us your caesar salad receipe.

rumblefish

One Too Many
First the croutons:
Cube last week's french bread or better- sourdough. Crush or finely mince one large clove of garlic into a pan with a tablespoon of butter and two tablespoons of olive oil, S&P. Heat till garlic sizzles and add all the bread cubes- toss around for a minute. Put the pan and all into an oven set at it's lowest (maybe just turn on and off as not to burn or overly toast) and let dehydrate for a few hours.

Salad:
I like to use a large but narrow bottom bowl, makes mixing easier.
Four or five anchovy fillets, one small (even tiny) crushed clove of garlic, S&P go into the bowl and mixed into a paste with a wooden spoon. Then a squeeze of a quarter of a lemon, three dashes of Tabasco, and a tablespoon of brandy get added and mixed in. Add one teaspoon of Dijon mustard and while still mixing, add three tablespoons of olive oil then one tablespoon of red wine vinegar, make sure all emulsifies. Last, mix in one egg yoke, then toss in your torn romaine lettuce leaves. Sprinkle in some fresh-grated Parmesan Reggiano and a handful of croutons.

Then pour your Martini.;)

rumblefish said:
First the croutons:
Cube last week's french bread or better- sourdough. Crush or finely mince one large clove of garlic into a pan with a tablespoon of butter and two tablespoons of olive oil, S&P. Heat till garlic sizzles and add all the bread cubes- toss around for a minute. Put the pan and all into an oven set at it's lowest (maybe just turn on and off as not to burn or overly toast) and let dehydrate for a few hours.

Salad:
I like to use a large but narrow bottom bowl, makes mixing easier.
Four or five anchovy fillets, one small (even tiny) crushed clove of garlic, S&P go into the bowl and mixed into a paste with a wooden spoon. Then a squeeze of a quarter of a lemon, three dashes of Tabasco, and a tablespoon of brandy get added and mixed in. Add one teaspoon of Dijon mustard and while still mixing, add three tablespoons of olive oil then one tablespoon of red wine vinegar, make sure all emulsifies. Last, mix in one egg yoke, then toss in your torn romaine lettuce leaves. Sprinkle in some fresh-grated Parmesan Reggiano and a handful of croutons.

Then pour your Martini.;)

I'll be over after work to taste it. ;) :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points