Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdiepie

New in Town
Rosie said:
I was asking my mom about wool slips not long ago. My commute, by public transport :( will be much longer now and I'm not at all looking forward to those cold days waiting for the bus or train.

I also have a very long commute, with all the walking and waiting around for trains and buses that we do here in nyc, woolens definitely make a huge difference!

The Vermont Country Store carries a nice merino wool slip.

I also like the "Medima" brand angora-wool long underwear that can be found at Sierra Trading Post

birdiepie

New in Town
Rosie said:
Where in NYC are you?
I live in Brooklyn, Flatbush to be more precise, and I commute to Queens. Distance-wise its not so bad, but with the way the trains work, it makes my commute longer that it ought to be.

Whereabouts are you?

I guess I should be counting my lucky stars, lots of folks have commutes that are twice as long.

KatieD

New in Town
Woolly lingerie

We bought up an old lingerie store a couple of years ago and in one of the boxes was a load of woollen all in ones - with open crotch no less! God knows what we're going to do with them. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Katie

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hey gals, I know we've got a lot of new members. Just a reminder to check the Powder Room FAQ and Guildlines! Thank you so much, and carry on :)

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
KatieD said:
We bought up an old lingerie store a couple of years ago and in one of the boxes was a load of woollen all in ones - with open crotch no less! God knows what we're going to do with them. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Katie

Stick them on e-bay! I am sure they will go like hot cakes!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
digging up an old thread...

Hi all~ I was wondering how you obtain the correct size for girdles if you order. I've never had one on. I mean, how to be sure it's tight enough without making you ooz out of it?

Also, is sizing for the pointy cupped bras the same as normal bras?

Nikki

Elaina

One Too Many
The best way is to call the company you plan on oderering them from and asking them. They know their products and can better tell you then anyone guessing.

Like corsets: I designed my own pattern that requires a different measuremenet then one I got from Laughing moon (and I'll plug JoAnn, she's a nice woman), and one I make from Simplicity. The sizing between the 2 comapnies is a difference of 3 sizes (I'm not getting into the one I made. It was designed to hide as a bra, so it doesn't count here) and one I did order was different then all three of those.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
Hi all~ I was wondering how you obtain the correct size for girdles if you order. I've never had one on. I mean, how to be sure it's tight enough without making you ooz out of it?

Also, is sizing for the pointy cupped bras the same as normal bras?

Nikki

I have just ordered a bullet bra from whatkatiedid. She only goes up to an F cup (a that is in one colour I think - black) I am usually a 34FF - so I am hoping, beyond hope, that it is going to fit me!

I was going to purchase the girdlette too, I am a UK14 and a 32 waist, the whatkatiedid girdlette UK14 was sized at a 29 (if I remember) I did ask her about this and she said it is suppose to be tight but without an overhang, so if it didn't fit I could swap it for a 16 - in the end I just went for the knickers - which are also smaller waisted, but I am going to wear them when I am wearing my waist cincher.

I will let you know how I get on with the bra!

fleur

One of the Regulars
Have you telephoned Katie because she is really helpful.

There is a thread on her forum that one of the other girls ordered one that she thought was going to be too small but ended up fitting her perfectly.

I am having a corset made by her as we speak.

With regard to this I am going to be ordering a Rago 1361 girdle in black so would appreciate any input if anyone has one of these... Thanks!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Hi Fleur

I have been e-mailing Katie, she said it should be OK with the matriesse knickers when wearing waist cincher. I have the RAGO one, it holds everything in and gives me a smaller waist and I have to say, it is a God send!

If the bra is a little tight, I don't care - I plan to wearing it of an evening for special occassions so can handle the pain for a night!

I did read on the forums that she doesn't plan to make anymore in the larger cup as they weren't that popular. I am really quite suprised at that, it's a real shame as I would have loved one in another colour!

fleur

One of the Regulars
I think her larger cup sizes were an experiment and they didnt sell well.

Good to hear about the Rago!

I love good foundation wear (even if I wear my corsets as outerwear lol )

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
1940s Bra

Did they always use cup sizes in the 1940s? I am a 34FF so a bit difficult for me as I would like to get a truely vintage set (or very good repro) not necessarily glamourous in anyway - but 'everyday' bra, knicker and girdle/suspender set.

Does anyone have any ideas?

ladyk

Familiar Face
~landgirl~ said:
Did they always use cup sizes in the 1940s? I am a 34FF so a bit difficult for me as I would like to get a truely vintage set (or very good repro) not necessarily glamourous in anyway - but 'everyday' bra, knicker and girdle/suspender set.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm relying on my dodgy memory, so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the notion of cup sizes only started in the late 30's/40's, and ran either A, B, C or A, B, C, D (I saw it in an advert in an old compy of Woman magazine from the 40's, hence my sketchy recollection). I've seen, and own larger (thank you kindly DD chest :( ) but maybe these were more made to measure?

Oh, and Katie, if you do put those woolens up for sale I for one would be very interested... deadstock vintage underwear is one of my great weaknesses!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I'm really lucky to have an natural hour-glass shape without a corset/girdle, but I recently got hold of a long line corset from the 30s. My main problem is finding one in the right size, as the smaller sizes do tend to go for alot.

When I tried it on, I LOVED it! It actually gave me more a straight up and down figure, taking about two inches off my hips but wasn't small enough to take in my waist. I certainly felt very womanly. I plan to just keep it for wearing with vintage outfits, so not for everyday wear.

The funny thing is my boyfriend can't see the allure, even though he loves my vintage clothes, but then, he isn't generally too excited about underwear of any description or era.

Maybe he will learn to like it!

P.S: I have just thought, all my clothes probably won't fit with the corset on!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Miss Sis said:
I'm really lucky to have an natural hour-glass shape without a corset/girdle

What is the definition of a natural hour glass figure.

For example, I am big in the bust making me a 38 - but that is due to cupsize only.. my actual ribcage is a 34. So then I am 38, 32, 41. Is a true hourglass a balance of bust and hip?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
fleur said:
With regard to this I am going to be ordering a Rago 1361 girdle in black so would appreciate any input if anyone has one of these... Thanks!

You can't go wrong with anything from the Rago "Shapette" line. I wear a girdle every day whether I want to or not, because of my lower back problems, and the Ragos give good firm support without pinching or binding.

I generally order two inches smaller than my unencumbered waist size. I have a bit of a belly, and this holds it in just fine.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recommend Rago's 9051. It's a full body briefer and is perfect for everyday wear. The cups give a nice vintage shape to the breast and there aren't any gaps between girdle and bra to worry about!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21