Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You can find high waisted open botton girdles and panty girdles with garter tabs on them--I have a few that I found on eBay. You can sew a tab and hook into your bra and girdle so the took clip together. That way you create a nice smooth line without bulges where the two garments meet.

What I would do is see if you can sew an underwire in (make a padded pocket for it), and if that doesn't work, then cut the cups out.

Rosie

One Too Many
Thanks. I'll do that. I decided to wear the bra I want, an open bottom and a waist cincher to smooth any bulges. I just tried it on and though it's a bunch of stuff, it gets the job done. Thanks so much JitterBugDoll. :)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I don't know if you girls have heard of this place or not, but they do have a nice variety of under-things. The prices are good (they are comparable with a department store) and they have free shipping in the U.S. I get my bras from them (Wacoal--I found a certain style that actually flatters my odd shape and Oprah even wears Wacoal). Right now I'm looking at some waist cinchers/girdles and found a girdle in black that is pretty reasonable. (They do carry some Rago styles and Crown styles for those that are more knowledgeable about such things)

Here's the website: http://www.lingerie-direct.com/scripts/default.asp and the website is tastefully done too!

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents since I appreciate all the good links you have given me here on the forum.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
thanks for sharing the website with us Bonnie! and I also want to welcome you to the lounge :D Looking through the site, they look like they have well made products..and what really won me over was their prices!

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Female form & girdles and corsets ???

I have a question no one has ever been able to answer. When ever i look at pictures of woman in the 40's or 50's i always notice there waist and how it has the look as if the girl has on a coset or waist belt all around which looks good but if they are in a bikini how does the waist look cinched in anyway is it because they wore a cincher's or corset so much that it becomes a perminant little waist? I just adore how alot of the woman were not skinny and had very curvy shapes to them even there chest looked different so different compared to woman now. Is it because of what they wore as oposed to they way woman dress now.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
It is partly because they wore foundation garments all the time (and one-piece bathing suits were even constructed a whole lot like a girdle), and partly because women were smaller on the whole. The average waist size in the 1950s was 27"; it has increased to something like 34" now.

When you wear a corset, waist cincher, or girdle for years, your waist eventually molds to the shape. Tight lacers, for example, can reduce their waists by many inches. When they remove their corsets, their waists retain that shape (though if the corsets stay off for awhile, the waist eventually expands back.)

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Corsets

I had a corset custom made fo me which is really lovely in black satin but after an hour i became dizzy and out of breath i couldn't drink or eat at all while in it and just couldn't handle it but maybe i am not use to it at all. I bought one of those waist cinchers from wal-mart which was nice looking but didn't give me the hour glass i was hoping for what would you recommend as far as brand or style Jitterbug for someone wanting to have that type of 1950's looking waist?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
For girdles, I love the Rago Corsolet. It's very comfortable and gives that nice, firm 1940s-50s figure.

For waist cinchers, I recommend one made by Lady Marlene. Also, if you can find a 1950s-60s merry widow, I would pick it up, as they are great.

Make sure you are buying your correct size when it comes to cinchers. I suggest going down one size from you natural waist (order a 24 if your waist measures 26 inches.) Remember, even women who tightlace have to gradually whittle their waists down--they don't put on the smallest size right from the beginning :)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Question about the suspenders at the bottom of the girdle. I just got a 50s, gorgeous yellow underbust girdle with six suspenders, which by happenchance I discovered are to hold the seams in place. ie, the back suspender, allegedly, is placed as near to the seam as possible and hence holds it straight. OK, I understand. But I also have one 40s and 2 early 50s with only four. So how were those seams kept straight? [huh] Now that I see the six version I can't even being to imagine a 4 and straight! Or did everybody just add another at home?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I prefer four straps to six, actually. My seams stay nice and straight, but I have curvier legs that hold them in place well. I have heard that girls with thinner legs find that their stockings shift around more.

Actually, none of my 1940s-60s garter belts or merry widows have six straps (though I do have one 1950s girdle that has six.) Just the luck of the draw, I suppose [huh]

Caledonia

Practically Family
And as luck would have it I've got the skinnier legs - pity the rest of the body doesn't match! :rolleyes: My six is a Marie Rose Lebigot for Lily of France. Haven't managed to get a Merry Widow yet. Missed one last week that was just the right size too! :) And, talk about discomfort. Saw a thread in the main lounge about sock/shirt garters. ie, attach suspender to shirt bottom, then to the top of your socks to keep the tuck of your shirt straight. Result - instant hair removal every time you move. And we ladies thing we have it bad! Sorry, slightly off topic but in sympathy for once with the gents lingerie difficulties!

Caledonia

Practically Family
That sounds gorgeous. My Lily is favourite at the moment (pleated suspenders!) but I have my eye on a Liberty tearose pink satin by Symington (1954) (UK) - 6 again. It's just so expensive! If I don't eat for the rest of the month...

Carolie

I've been toying around with the idea of getting undergarments for my dresses, but I'm still confused with what I should get and what order I should wear things. I've worn a corset once, and it just wasn't for me. [huh] So, aside from an all-in-one/girdle + bra, and stocking, what else is there?? If this was discussed/eplained anywhere else, I'd appreciate a link as I didn't find anything. Thanks!! :D

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Well, an all-in-one girdle is an open bottom girdle and bra combination. You wear it with stockings and that's it. Your other girdle choices, which are worn with a seperate bra, include the panty girdle and the regular open bottom (OB) girdle. OB girdles must be worn with stockings, as they will ride/flip up otherwise. Panty girdles can be worn alone or with stockings, and they work with skirts, dresses, or pants. OB girdles, of course, can't be worn under pants. Panty and OB girdles come in different styles, and can fit at the waist, just above the waist, or as far up as just under your bra.

Waist cinchers can be worn alone or over a girdle if you want more support/control--they fit around the waist to about the hips, and are worn generally one size smaller then your natural waist size. They do have attached/removable garters, so you can wear them with stockings.

A merry widow is a strapless, longline bra, which cinches the waist and is fitted to the hip. They also have attached/removable garters, and can be worn with stockings as well.

Garter belts simply hold your stockings up--they generally offer minimal shaping (though they come in many styles, and some do help shape.)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You're welcome, Carolie!

I forgot to mention that all of these garments were available in a variety of fabrics with varying "firmness", from knit materials (much firmer than one would think), brocades, satins, heavy cottons, and so forth, with or without boning. Some girdles were also offered with corseted backs or fronts as well, for additional shaping.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I love my Rago!

On the recommendation of many of the ladies on the board I bought a Rago long leg body shaper. I've tried several types of briefer but this one is by far the most comfortable, even the clips for the hose don't irritate the way they have on other models. It also took an inch off my hips and waist, always a nice byproduct. I just love it!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hate to ask another question, but I am looking for an all-in-one or at least some sort of girdle to wear with dresses and skirts that will give me the maximum cinching. I was gonna ask this on the waist cinching thread, but it is no more. I have gained a few pounds and can still fit into most of my vintage, but would like it to fit a little better. It would be cheaper for me to tolerate the discomfort of a girdle or corset while I'm losing the weight I gained, verses buying a bunch of new dresses (this is so hard not to do). I don't want to spend the money on a corset if it isn't gonna fit me right. The rago ones I have seen look really nice, but I want to make sure I'm buying the right one. Have any of you used either a girdle or a corset that takes you down at least 2 inches, if not 3? I have been looking around at your suggestions for links but I want to make sure I get the right one.
Also, I have a vintage corset from the 40's that I love. I have yet to wear it, it still has the tags. Got it on ebay for really cheap. My concern: Do any of you have problems with the laces of your corsets showing through a tighter fitting dress? I can't stand when seams from undergaments show through, so the thought of people seeing the laces through a pretty dress is driving me crazy. I can really cinch down in this corset, but I still am looking for more and some specific girdle/corset suggestions.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give,
Daisy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy