Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
~landgirl~ said:
Wow I really didn't know that! How on earth do you reduce your hip?

This is what I mentioned in my last post - my corset takes two inches off the hips. I guess it just squishes you down! The you have that tubular look of the 30s.

Also, by hourglass, I meant in a general sense rather than a scientific way! I am 5' 9" tall with measurements of over bust 37", under 30", waist 27" and hips about 38". But I often find I can get into much smaller things than by rights I should be able to??? I haven't figured that out yet!

Being a very awkward bra size I don't think I will ever get a vintage one to fit right.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I guess the vollers corset I had 'temporarily' really wasn't suited to me as it didn't reduce my hips at all.

Miss Sis you have an incredibly small waist - I am envious! My under bust and waist are the same measurement - which is bizarre!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
My cincher could be too big I suppose - it's a 28 and I'm 26-27 with 39" hips! So I was worried that the smaller one would just cut me in half at the hips. I think it probably would actually. Oh wells.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
My cincher could be too big I suppose - it's a 28 and I'm 26-27 with 39" hips! So I was worried that the smaller one would just cut me in half at the hips. I think it probably would actually. Oh wells.

They are cut for vintage hips - I do think you should of got a smaller size. I am starting to think I should have stuck with the 30 inch cincher when I got it, but I struggled to do it up - I didn't realise at the time that you are suppose to struggle :(

Elaina

One Too Many
One thing depending on the corset, you may have to buy slimming pant since the flab gets squished up AND down. Un-corseted I'm 38D, 31, 41, corseted I actually go up 2 bra sizes, go down to a 27 waist and go up to a 45 hip, if I don't wear anything slimming on the top or bottom. (I have a body sleeve that pulls everything in and keeps it taut for different measurements)

Also, one thing no one tells you about is the uni-boob. If you're busty, sometimes there are things that can make them appear less shelf-like then in a standard corset (I'm actually referring to a victorian corset, NOT a 40's-50's merry widow corset).

Each foundation garment gives you different results.

GOK

One Too Many
TOTTIE said:
sorry GOK, I don't usually let anyone photograph me in my undies!

My goodness, Tottie I wasn't suggesting for one minute that we see you in your undies! I was only interested in seeing the stays themselves! lol

Incidentally, I do think that many of the problems people describe are solved in the original designs. I one of those long-line bras with no elastic, and the first time I wore it with a girdle it was SO uncomfortable - the bottom of the bra kept rolling up, and I was getting bulging etc. BUT then I realised that someone had cut off the little straps that should hang down from the bottom of the bra -- which then hook onto the girdle, keeping everything beautifully in place. There are these special flat hooks you can get... all a bit complicated.

And in fact if you are busty, it should deal with the problem of wearing backless dresses (though I haven't quite found the right bra for this yet) - because in the 30s and 40s they marketed bras that worked with halter necks etc that basically clipped onto the back of your girdle - holding the back of the bra down, and out of the way.

Gosh yes, I had completely forgotten about girdle hooks. Please do let us know when you find a bra suitable for wearing with backless and halter neck gowns.

GOK

One Too Many
Elaina said:
Also, one thing no one tells you about is the uni-boob. If you're busty, sometimes there are things that can make them appear less shelf-like then in a standard corset (I'm actually referring to a victorian corset, NOT a 40's-50's merry widow corset).

I do!

I always, always, always advise my clients about this - it's my real big thing! I absolutely hate it! And it comes from wearing corsets that do not fit properly or are the wrong style for one's shape. Victorian style corsets should not give the shelf look at all, whilst Edwardian models are designed to sit just under the nipple to push the bust up into the pigeon or mono-breast because it was considered unseemly to appear to have two breasts! Along with he corset, the Edwardian lady would have worn a bust enhancer, which was a very rudimentary bra type affair and didn't in fact, enhance the bust - it just made one look like one had a pillow tucked into the corset!

Merry widows, BTW are not corsets. Sorry, that's just the corset-fascist in me rearing her ugly head!

Renee

Familiar Face
Secrets in Lace Question

Has anyone ever received a catalog from Secrets in Lace? Does the catalog offer more selections than the website, or is it basically the same thing just in print?

I prefer to "shop" with a catalog and then place an order online, but the Secrets in Lace catalog is pricey and I don't want to spend the money if it's just the website all over again.

Thanks for your help!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Talking of bras - I got my doreen bra through the post today!

It really great on and doesn't give a bad vintage shape either - and the F fitted perfectly so it looks like in that style I could be a size smaller than usual!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Umm..

Here it is!

3f_1_b.JPG

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I think they're the same

Renee,
I think the catalog is the same as the online version. I was on their mailing list for a while after placing an order online a while back. I remember thinking the catalog had the same stuff as online. If you really want a catalog, just place a small order and I'm sure you'll get one with your order as well as be on their mailing list for a while. Their stocking sizes run a little larger than what I usually get. I'm only 5'4" but have kind of long legs and so I'll usually get a 'long' length. I think SIL stocking sizes run S,M,L and I ordered a long and it was way too long for me and I had to exchange it. But it was very easy to exchange. I think the catalog is nice when you want to have a 'hard copy' to look through, but I would never pay for one.

Just my 2 cents....

fleur

One of the Regulars
Correct thread!

Landgirl that looks nice!

I have the image of the doreen bra my great aunt used to wear and it wasnt pretty!

However I am blessed to have the smallest chest size in my family at a 38 D/DD depending on my mood and the make of the bra!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21