Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
BegintheBeguine said:
Shape-U 123 is the best! The lady who runs it, Patricia, is the best! I got a Rago girdle from her cheaper than anyone, with free shipping and in a couple of days!

Darn! I wish had I known about this place. It's good that I know about it now...thanks for the heads up!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
No show garter clips

I've checked most of the threads so I don't repeat but didn't find anything close to what I am interested in finding out.

Ok, I was watching, of all things, Son of Dracula with Lon Chaney, Jr. the other morning and the leading ladies had the most gorgeous evening gowns on. Bias cut, very flowy. I paid alot of attention to them because I wanted to see if their garter clips showed through the fabric. Well, low and behold they didnt and the assumtion is they were wearing slips of some kind. Now my question is, why? I've asked my mom how they avoided the clips showing and she said that the clothes were not as close fitting back in the 40's so it wasnt' an issue. But, under a bias cut, jersey(?) evening gown? I wore stockings with a garter belt back in the 80's because stockings were still readily available and cheaper should a run occur in one. But under certain garments the clips showed, or at least I thought they did. I would enjoy wearing stockings again, but even with a slip the clips seem to stand out to me. Any opinions or comments?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
With certain panty girdles, the garters are tucked underneath the legs of the girdle, thus minimizing any bumps.

They did also sell Lastex-gartered "hold ups" in the 1930s, and as these were worn without garters, you wouldn't have to deal with other, more noticeable foundation garments.

I generally wear thicker vintage slips, which help to diminish the appearance of my foundation garments. They are always somewhat visible though, even underneath my a-line 40s dresses, but I don’t think that this is a negative thing, as it just shows you are a proper vintage lady. ;)

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
With certain panty girdles, the garters are tucked underneath the legs of the girdle, thus minimizing any bumps.

They did also sell Lastex-gartered "hold ups" in the 1930s, and as these were worn without garters, you wouldn't have to deal with other, more noticeable foundation garments.

I generally wear thicker vintage slips, which help to diminish the appearance of my foundation garments. They are always somewhat visible though, even underneath my a-line 40s dresses, but I don’t think that this is a negative thing, as it just shows you are a proper vintage lady. ;)

JBD,

I knew you'd have an answer. I never thought of the panty girdle. I'm more familiar with the open bottom type. That's what my mom wore. The clips showing isn't a negative, it just makes me alittle uncomfortable. I feel men are looking at me and thinking badly. It's just a "me" thing.

Thank you for your help. And may I say, you are just stunning.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I knew you'd have an answer. I never thought of the panty girdle. I'm more familiar with the open bottom type. That's what my mom wore. The clips showing isn't a negative, it just makes me alittle uncomfortable. I feel men are looking at me and thinking badly. It's just a "me" thing.

Glad I could help!

Panty girdles became more popular later on, though they were available in the 1940s and often worn by the 'young miss' crowd. In the instances of men noticing, they either don't realize what they are looking at (as so few women wear foundation garments on a regular basis anymore) or they find it appealing (though I've never had anyone say anything at all, let alone something inappropriate in regards to it, so I wouldn't worry too much.:))

Thank you for your help. And may I say, you are just stunning.

Thank you--you just made my day! :eek:

Raegan

New in Town
What on Earth?

Wow, I haven't visited this place in a long time. Maybe I should budget some non-study time for a quick read here once in a while. There's been some good topics.

Anyway, I was looking at the Vintage Martini site and found this interesting little thing. http://www.vintagemartini.com/clothing/lingerie/pages/12159.html (I would post the pictures but I'm not quite sure how.) I figured someone here would know why these things had this particular design. They obviously must be panties of some sort, but why are they so bizarre? Anyone have any ideas?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Looks like a menstruation harness (for lack of a better word). The pin holes in the description were prolly for holding the pad in place.

Ah the advances of modern feminine hygiene. :rolleyes:

LD

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I agree. Cos if it's a "chaffer" (whatever that means...I'm guessing to prevent chub rub?), I have no idea why there's a crotch to it. And wouldn't long tap panties prevent chub rub anyway?

Shearer

Practically Family
Wow, I was totally going to agree with Lady Day on that one... I know cloths used to be pinned in place on underwear/belts like she said.

Then I googled "chaffer" and found this link.

It says it's c. 1950 and to prevent chafing between the thighs??? :confused: I dunno... if there's pin holes, I'm still leaning towards a sort of menstruation belt like the previous posters said.

Edit to add: pigeon toe beat me to it on the chub rub idea :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
pigeon toe said:
I agree. Cos if it's a "chaffer" (whatever that means...I'm guessing to prevent chub rub?), I have no idea why there's a crotch to it. And wouldn't long tap panties prevent chub rub anyway?

Well its nice to know Im not the only one with this problem :rolleyes:

'Chub rub' lol

LD

Novella

Practically Family
My vote is for chaffer rather than sanitary belt, unless it was a homemade one (even then, why all the fabric and the elastic around the thighs?). Mostly based on the ads and examples found here.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It could be both -- a sanitary belt and a chafe-protector. A very similar item appears among the other sani-gear in the Fall/Winter 1939-40 Sears catalog, with this description:

"Be Modern! Let Modesty Shields Serve Dual Purpose of Napkin-Holder and Brief!"

"Combined sanitary belt and pantie brief with "no chafe" feature. Rayon taffetta panel with dainty Alencon style lace. Narrow rayon elastic sides. Gum rubber crotch. Twill tape napkin tabs. Tearose color. Sizes, Small, Medium, Large. Each, 45 cents."

There are other variations on this style, but the common feature for a sanitary brief is the ever-so-comfy-I'm-sure gum rubber crotch panel. This one does look home made, so it may be that they left that out.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
RetroModelSari said:
To me it looks like a tiny version of those weird pants that sumo-ringers wear lol
:eek:fftopic: Those "weird pants" that sumo wrestlers wear are actually a very very long (around 6-8m/6.5-9yds long, 45cm/17" wide which is folded in half length-wise and then in half again) and thick loin cloth that is wound round and round (3 times) their lower body. :p
The ones worn by upper class wrestlers during the tournaments are made of silk satin while the ones used for practice are cotton.:rolleyes:
Yup, and I hear they chafe until you get used to it--as a matter of fact, one isn't considered fully initiated into the sumo world until the mawashi as they are called doesn't chafe any more.lol

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Well its nice to know Im not the only one with this problem :rolleyes:

'Chub rub' lol

LD

Hahah! My boyfriend gets chub rub more than I do, at least in the summer (he gets too lazy to do his wash often, so he ends up having to wear his tightey whiteys, hence the unprotected thighs!). I get "stocking squeaks". Whenever I wear stockings you can hear my thighs rubbing together! I hope it's not as loud as I think it is! ;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ha! In my opinion it's just for the chaffing. From fat experience, you have to have something with elastic or whatever to "hold it down"... long tap panties would just ride and bunch up.

When I was huge I had to wear bikershort type things to my thighs wouldn't rub together. I even tried to cut a pair of panty hose about knee length but they rode up too.

I'll never forget the line in Susan Powter's book about the day she lost enough weight that she realized her thighs weren't rubbing together anymore... Halleluiah!!!

BTW, while on the sanitary subject.... I was looking through my 1940 Sears cat. and saw they had tampons back then... I couldn't believe it!!! I thought they came out like in the 70s or something, lol!

Nikki

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
:eek:fftopic: Tampons came out in the mid 30's I believe. I think I posted pictures on a thread around here somewhere of ads...

I think LizzieMaine is correct in what she wrote- what she describes sounds exactly like what it is

Raegan

New in Town
Wow, you guys know so much more about these things than me. Now that I read this, it makes sense when I look at it. It just looked so bizarre to me and I could not for the life of me figure out what it was supposed to be. Thanks girls!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters