Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

r lush

New in Town
some very complicated undies thats for sure. I would have a heck of a time getting in and out of a strapy little number like that!

Elaina

One Too Many
Can I point out that with the type of material used in these, they probably weren't an every day kind of thing.

Look at the bias evening gowns. How were you supposed to wear panties in those things? This would do very nicely to avoid not only "chub rub" but also panty lines.

Renee

Familiar Face
For those who wear "shapewear" daily

I'm wondering if some of you who wear shapewear/girdles daily could share what you wear?

I currently own two Rago long leg high-rise girdles, the 6209 and 6207. They're wonderful for what I wanted them for - good shaping under slim dresses that also allow me to wear stockings - but they're not very bathroom friendly. I'd like something that is good for daily use, but that also doesn't require intensive advance planning just to visit the loo. :eek:

I've been looking, and am just not sure what to get. I looked at a Rago waist cincher, but wonder if something like this shows through clothing? I wear slips under my dresses, and half slips under skirts, but a waist cincher seems like it would show through my tops.

Do you wear girdles/shapewear with slacks?

I'd appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I wear a lot of vintage girdles; my favorite style is the knit variety, as these tend to be quite firm, yet are still very comfortable. For modern foundation garments, I like Rago's corsolet, and I also have one of their open bottom girdles too; both styles are comfortable and easy to wear. Under pants I wear a panty girdle, or something like Spanx, which is nice as this is a seamless option for wear under lighter weight fabrics. I have never had a problem with a waist cincher creating obvious lines under any garments; to a certain extent, all foundation garments show slightly, but under a good slip this is minimized. I do have two waist cinchers; one by Rago and the other my Lady Marlene, and recommend both brands.

G

GoldLeaf

I am clueless about slips, so I just did a quick search, and found this thread about them http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13275

I am going to read it and educate myself, I thought it may pertain to this thread as well :)

JBD, you have mentioned "thick" slips a few times. What are they made of? Most I have seen are very thin.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The workhorses of my underwardrobe are Ragos -- I've got a high-waisted panty girdle I wear when I know I'll have to carry heavy film cans at work (I have bad sciatica, and need the back support), and an open-bottom that I wear most of the rest of the time. On days when I know I won't be doing any lifting I go with a couple of softer panty girdles from Sears -- they give me a little bit of support and hold up my stockings, but aren't as rigid as the Ragos.

A couple of vintage girdles that I like a lot are the Playtex "Double Diamonds" style from the early 60s -- I have one of these that's the firmest girdle I've ever worn, and when my back's really acting up it's a godsend -- and a Bien Jolie zipper-entry from the late '40s. This one's almost a little *too* rigid, but it gives me plenty of support if I'm going to be doing something like driving for a long distance.

I never have trouble with show-thru --I always wear a full slip, either nylon or cotton, so there's no problems there.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
GoldLeaf said:
JBD, you have mentioned "thick" slips a few times. What are they made of? Most I have seen are very thin.

My favorite is a medium-weight nylon slip from the 1950s--it is a nude color that is great under almost anything, and thick enough that if I am wearing a black foundation garment, it doesn't show through. I also have a number of silk crepe and rayon taffeta slips from the 40s that work very well.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Renee said:
I'm wondering if some of you who wear shapewear/girdles daily could share what you wear?

I currently own two Rago long leg high-rise girdles, the 6209 and 6207. They're wonderful for what I wanted them for - good shaping under slim dresses that also allow me to wear stockings - but they're not very bathroom friendly. I'd like something that is good for daily use, but that also doesn't require intensive advance planning just to visit the loo. :eek:

I recently bought my first girdle and was actually wondering how the heck you are supposed to go to the loo wearing it! I didn't need to go when I wore it but was assuming I'd need to unhook my stockings if I needed to!

I also seemed to have an unfortunate problem with thigh squidge just below where it stopped...what on earth can I do about that, apart from liposuction of course! lol

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I found (of all places) that The Bay (department store not ebay) had a wide selection of shapewear, and my first girdle is from there(long line, goes from just under my bust, to midway on my hips, great support, and no name brand), it is very comfortable, but as I haven't tried anything else I can't say it's the MOST comfortable or anything. If you have a Bay store, or Sears try checking there, you can try various designs and what not, and they're usually very decently priced.:)

I've heard good things about Rago from sources outside the Lounge, so I don't think you'll have any trouble with their products, I'm going to give them a try when I'm in the market for new lingerie, but I just got new stuff last week so I need to be good.
Good luck with your shopping, I hope you find something that works for you!:)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
I recently bought my first girdle and was actually wondering how the heck you are supposed to go to the loo wearing it! I didn't need to go when I wore it but was assuming I'd need to unhook my stockings if I needed to!

I also seemed to have an unfortunate problem with thigh squidge just below where it stopped...what on earth can I do about that, apart from liposuction of course! lol

It depends on the type of girdle you are wearing; a panty girdle is fairly self-explanatory in this situation, and an open bottom girdle doesn't actually have to be unhooked and rolled up--just make sure to wear your panties over the girdle, instead of under it.

As for the 'thigh squidge' issue (great way to describe it, BTW :)), you should either try a different style, or a slightly larger size. Certain styles are more likely to cause this issue than others; for example, a brief panty girdle versus a longline panty girdle.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Vintage Lingerie basics?

I have a lot of vintage clothing, but lack vintage lingerie. What are good some vintage lingerie basics? The majority my everyday wear of my clothing is from the 1930's and some from the 1940's. I have a lot of 1920's that I wear less frequently.

The only thing I am not interested is girdles/shape wear, but some nice basic lingerie recommendations would be appreciated.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
NicolettaRose said:
I have a lot of vintage clothing, but lack vintage lingerie. What are good some vintage lingerie basics? The majority my everyday wear of my clothing is from the 1930's and some from the 1940's. I have a lot of 1920's that I wear less frequently.

The only thing I am not interested is girdles/shape wear, but some nice basic lingerie recommendations would be appreciated.

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13840&highlight=lingerie

is at least one thread where it is discussed.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
NicolettaRose said:
I have seen this thread, it was mostly concern woolen lingerie, which I can't wear because I am allergic to wool.

If I can make a small suggestion for everyone, instead of starting a whole new thread, add to one that is similar.

It will bring it to the top of everyone's "new posts' and still get you the answers you want, but not clutter the Lounge for others who use the search function to quickly find things on a topical basis.

We have a lot of new folks, and a lot of topics are covered in multiple places, having comprehensive threads makes it easier to find things.

Thanks Ladies!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I'll add to Miss Neecerie's wise advice by saying that when searching for a relevant thread, you may need to vary your search terms, Using one blanket word, such as "lingerie," probably won’t bring up all of the threads that apply to the topic you are interested in.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Please let me just add that if you do a search on The Lounges search engine it might not pull up everything you need. I have found that searching for topics on Google works great. Just put in the topic of what you are searching for and add the fedora lounge to the topic. This will reveal a lot of pertinent results.
If after you do your first search and you don't find what you are looking for, try different terms before starting a new thread. Like Miss Neecerie and Jitterbug have said, we have a ton of multiple threads. These multiple threads make it even more difficult to find what you are looking for.
If you find a thread about something that is not exactly what you are looking for but it is on the same topic, just add to it. It will make searching much easier.
No lady wants a messy Powder Room!!:)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'll second Jitterbugdoll's comment -- you'll probably have best luck with the search function with very specific terms. All sorts of lingerie topics have been discussed here, but rarely under any kind of an umbrella term. Searching for things like "slips," "tap pants," "knickers," "garter belts," etc. will bring you more specific sorts of results.

That said, I get the sense most of us don't wear actual vintage undies for everyday -- between the expense and the scarcity of originals and the wear and tear, a lot of us find it more practical to go with latter-day manufactured versions of traditional styles. We had a good thread this summer on sources for tap pants, for example -- http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=9006&highlight=tap+pants

Renee

Familiar Face
Thank you for all the replies! I've spent most of the evening researching girdles .... :p

Just one more quick question:

Do open bottom girdles "ride up" on your bottom when you're moving around a lot, or do they pretty much stay put?

And thank you, LizzieMaine, for mentioning that your girdles provide back support! I wanted to start wearing one daily because I find that my back bothers me so much less when I wear mine! I thought that perhaps it was just me, but it's nice to know that others find a girdle helpful in that aspect, too. :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Do open bottom girdles "ride up" on your bottom when you're moving around a lot, or do they pretty much stay put?

No, they do not; just as they hold your stockings up, your stockings hold them down (however, unlike panty girdles, open bottom girdles cannot be worn without stockings, as they will slowly roll up as you move about. :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic