Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
No, they do not; just as they hold your stockings up, your stockings hold them down (however, unlike panty girdles, open bottom girdles cannot be worn without stockings, as they will slowly roll up as you move about. :))

I did not know this when I was in my late teens. I had a *Peter Pan* open bottom girdle from the 50s that I wore, w/o stockings, to a Stray Cats concert (from a thrift store; it looked like it was made for a 10 year old boy on the hanger, but it could really stretch). Not long into the evening it was riding high, somewhere between my waist & bust. :eek: If only the FL had been around then! I'm so grateful for all the advice we get here!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I did not know this when I was in my late teens. I had a *Peter Pan* open bottom girdle from the 50s that I wore, w/o stockings, to a Stray Cats concert (from a thrift store; it looked like it was made for a 10 year old boy on the hanger, but it could really stretch). Not long into the evening it was riding high, somewhere between my waist & bust. If only the FL had been around then! I'm so grateful for all the advice we get here!

I read a similar anecdote written by a woman who was a teen in the 1950s. Her mother bought her an open bottom girdle and fully fashioned stockings, and the girl was mortified because all of her classmates had the new seamless stockings. So, at school she took her stockings off, and then had to suffer the rest of the day with her girdle creeping up while she was sitting at her desk--and of course she could do nothing about it until class was out. lol

Thanks ladies. I think I need to get some tap pants, now if only I could find a nice repro company! I usually wear g strings for the non VPL factor, so that would hardly work over a girdle! Might as well not bother in that case!

I wear tap pants or boy shorts over my open bottom girdles, which works fine as well. I find this to be more comfortable then a g-string worn under a girdle.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Okay, I have read through this entire thread and boy is it long! :D

There is a ton of great stuff in here but I still have a question. I have a 27 inch waist and would like to to get it to a 26 so I can have my (36-26-36) measurements. Should I buy a size 26 cincher or a 27?

Thanks and great thread. :eusa_clap

Kimberly

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
Buy a 26 inch one! I have a 27 inch waist and a 27-28 inch cincher that was supposed to pull me in, but it doesn't. :(

Especially get the 26 as you have 36 hips.

Thanks and I feel your pain! I too have a size 27 girdle and it does nothing for me and I thought it was because it was vintage. :(

I will go with the 26! I can't wait to get one. I just want a cincher though for the summer. I don't wear stockings in the summer so don't need the whole girdle/garter thing right now. There are a bunch of size 26 dresses and skirts I own that fit me allright but are very tight. This may be just what I need to be able to finally wear them somewhat comfortably. lol

Sunny

One Too Many
Well now, I have a question, too, but it's more on recommendations. I read all the way back through the thread :eusa_clap and found a lot of good information especially on corsets and waist cinchers. My needs aren't quite in that direction, though.

I'm pretty happy with my dimensions. Not a perfect hourglass, but 36(ish)-29-39(ish) without shapewear isn't bad, and at 5'9" my lack of proportion isn't quite as obvious. My shoulders are wide enough, too. The main thing I need is a little bit of redistribution and stabilizing. When I put on weight (and I've got 5-10 lbs more than I want right now) it's in my hips, and it's in a rather awkward place, making me look wide and flat from the back. A girdle helps immensely just by smoothing and smushing things gently into the right place. My current one, from the 1960s, is great for this.

However, it doesn't do much for my waist. It's quite possible it's too small. Point is, it tends to cut in at my waist and create belly flab. And while I have a tiny bit of a tummy below my belly button, I have nothing above - except when I wear the girdle. And when I pull it up to or just past its proper position, I get the terrible Waistband Roll. Ow!! It's usually fine when I'm standing, but I spend a good part of the day sitting and it's tough to keep it from rolling. Would a high-waist one be best for me, then? I saw a lovely high-waist one on ebay this morning that would've been perfect, but it was missing part of two garters and was too small anyway.

So I need a girdle that will shape my hips and waist, keeping them firm and stable, but not necessarily shaping anything. At this point, I'm wanting a high waist so I can be confident that there's no tummy bulge and no waistband roll. I'm okay with not getting true vintage, although I'd prefer it; it seems that Rago is highly recommended. What model works best for you ladies, or what do you recommend?

In general, if you're searching for a vintage girdle, what size or unstretched measurements do you usually look for in comparision to your actual measurements?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Sunny said:
However, it doesn't do much for my waist. It's quite possible it's too small. Point is, it tends to cut in at my waist and create belly flab. And while I have a tiny bit of a tummy below my belly button, I have nothing above - except when I wear the girdle. And when I pull it up to or just past its proper position, I get the terrible Waistband Roll. Ow!! It's usually fine when I'm standing, but I spend a good part of the day sitting and it's tough to keep it from rolling. Would a high-waist one be best for me, then? I saw a lovely high-waist one on ebay this morning that would've been perfect, but it was missing part of two garters and was too small anyway.

So I need a girdle that will shape my hips and waist, keeping them firm and stable, but not necessarily shaping anything. At this point, I'm wanting a high waist so I can be confident that there's no tummy bulge and no waistband roll. I'm okay with not getting true vintage, although I'd prefer it; it seems that Rago is highly recommended. What model works best for you ladies, or what do you recommend?

i have a Rago high waist girdle (the Lacette 6107) and i hate hate HATE it. it has boning in the sides which just adds bulk. the main problem i have with this girdle though is that then it just creates a roll between the top of the girdle and the bottom of my bra.

i would recommend a body briefer (Miss Bella Hell swears by the Rago Shapette 9051) or the Rago corselette, depending on whether or not you want a panty-leg or an open bottomed girdle.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hopefully I put this in the right place.

I want to buy a bullet bra.

I have been wearing a 36B bra for years. Recently I was measured at Frederick's and they put me in a 36A. I have two 36A bras and they give me nice little cleavage. They fit fine but so do my old bras.

The problem: I searched around and couldn't for the life of me couldn't find a 36A bullet bra.

So what should I do?

Should I buy a 36B? My fear is that it won't fit.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Sunny said:
Hmm... I'd rather have an open-bottom girdle.

my Rago corselette just arrived in the mail today. it is very nice (and pretty)! it doesn't come as far down over my hips as i had assumed, but it still comes down further than the body briefers, and i like that extra hip coverage/shaping. the control bands at the waist do a good job of defining my waist! the cups are a bit pointier than i'd assumed so i don't fill them out completely, but with a pair of bullet bra falsies, they give a very nice vintage silhouette!

obviously, the advantage of the body briefers is that using the ladies room is easier (personally i don't mind having to unhook my stockings) because of the hooks at the crotch, and you can wear them without stockings.

in any case, i think i'll be much happier with this item than my regular open bottom girdles, as i'll have hip to bust shaping and no girdle roll.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pink Dahlia said:

I have been wearing a 36B bra for years. Recently I was measured at Frederick's and they put me in a 36A. I have two 36A bras and they give me nice little cleavage. They fit fine but so do my old bras.

The problem: I searched around and couldn't for the life of me couldn't find a 36A bullet bra.

So what should I do?

Check the return policy of the item, buy it and if it does not fit, return it. Other wise, I wouldn't but it. :)

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm also a 36A (and on the small side of that, alas), and the only luck I've ever had finding vintage-style bras is on eBay. They do show up from time to time, and they actually run a bit less expensive than the more common sizes! Thank heavens for small blessings.

Sunny

One Too Many
KittyT said:
my Rago corselette just arrived in the mail today. it is very nice (and pretty)! it doesn't come as far down over my hips as i had assumed, but it still comes down further than the body briefers, and i like that extra hip coverage/shaping. the control bands at the waist do a good job of defining my waist! the cups are a bit pointier than i'd assumed so i don't fill them out completely, but with a pair of bullet bra falsies, they give a very nice vintage silhouette!

obviously, the advantage of the body briefers is that using the ladies room is easier (personally i don't mind having to unhook my stockings) because of the hooks at the crotch, and you can wear them without stockings.

in any case, i think i'll be much happier with this item than my regular open bottom girdles, as i'll have hip to bust shaping and no girdle roll.

Interesting! I think I'm going to have to do some more shopping. :D

Rosie

One Too Many
Pink Dahlia said:

So what should I do?

I find that different brands run just a bit differnt in sizing.

Normally, I am a 42 DD however, there are times when a 42 just won't do and I HAVE to get a 44 DD then other times, especially with bras made for bigger women, I HAVE to get a 40 DDD. Try different brands, see which one you like the best and buy away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara