Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Have any of you bought the Frederick's of Hollywood "Signature Mesh Bra" before? This is the general style I usually wear, but the straps look a bit thin.

bra-48lqzjy9s.jpg

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Do any of you ladies wear steel boned corsets ? When I wear mine I lace it up tight and I get a nice narrow waist looking from the front and back but from the side I look like a barrel :eek: Like everything I pulled in from the sides went to the back and front of me..............does anyone else get this, am I doing something wrong or just weird ???? I'm sure it's tight enough, I pull it in tighter throught out the day as well. Any thoughts.....

PS

A-List Customer
What would slim down my hips the most? I was looking at the Rago Hi Rise obg but heard that it adds bulk.......looking for something to wear under a wiggle dress........

Goldwyn....
I get that from many shaping garments. I don't have a corset (yet!:p ), but stopped wearing my Spanx Higher Powers when I decided I'd rather look leaner and be a bit wide as opposed to thicker.......

PS

A-List Customer
Drats! I am a DD an can't find one. I know sometimes you can upsize but have never tried it..anyone know how that works? If I am a 34 what would that translate to?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PS said:
Drats! I am a DD an can't find one. I know sometimes you can upsize but have never tried it..anyone know how that works? If I am a 34 what would that translate to?

I believe if you upsize that you would then go down a cup size. So if you went up to a 36, you'd go down to a D.

Your best bet is to go to a lingerie shop or department store, find the oldest salesclerk that you can, ask her about it and have her do a fitting!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I do Goldwyn! All my excess "stuff" has to go somewhere else. I get a huge pouch below my waist/corset area. I've studied vintage photos and girls that look to be about my size have the same issues.

But also I think it's hard for us to get the lacing tight enough throughout the bust and rear areas ourselves. Also, perhaps the corset you have isn't cut to your actual waist, I mean, maybe it doesn't pull in smaller where YOUR smallest area is.

Could also be that the corset is not laced corectly to pull from the bottom and tops first, then finally the waist area? Do you have the pull loops at the waist?
http://www.waspcreations.com/howtol.htm

Here's a pic of mine, you can kinda see my baby flab all underneath, which is why I put on my bloomers on TOP of the corset, and I DON'T take side pics, lol!
620842199_a97767c4c5.jpg

Here's a pre-baby shot wearing my antique edwaridan corset. My nicer look, I like that it covers the hip area.
620776865_5fa39d93ca_o.jpg

I get a muffin top in my back area a bit as well. I think I'd be more comfortable in an overbust corset, which I'll need to save $$$ for!
Nikki

goldwyn girl said:
Do any of you ladies wear steel boned corsets ? When I wear mine I lace it up tight and I get a nice narrow waist looking from the front and back but from the side I look like a barrel :eek: Like everything I pulled in from the sides went to the back and front of me..............does anyone else get this, am I doing something wrong or just weird ???? I'm sure it's tight enough, I pull it in tighter throught out the day as well. Any thoughts.....

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Joie!
I found some more pre-baby, same corset. I had just recieved the corset and I was actually pregnant here and didn't know it. You can see, not so much pooch underneath! And of course you're not supposed to wear a bra but I can't stand the way my girls look without it, which is another reason I need to buy an overbust. If I remember right, this was cinced to 25 from 29.
Nikki
620771459_9f9f95a552.jpg

620771533_4f4040cdc1.jpg

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
Thanks Joie!
I found some more pre-baby, same corset. I had just recieved the corset and I was actually pregnant here and didn't know it. You can see, not so much pooch underneath! And of course you're not supposed to wear a bra but I can't stand the way my girls look without it, which is another reason I need to buy an overbust. If I remember right, this was cinced to 25 from 29.
Nikki
620771459_9f9f95a552.jpg

620771533_4f4040cdc1.jpg

You have the cutest corsets!!! Where do you find them and how much are they usually?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Retro! Christine has made two of my corsets, the one in the above pictures, and this one which I think I'll be selling soon as it's now too big for me. I had it made for my Titanic Flying dress:
620800619_a0fca1cda5_m.jpg

620800561_8596e1e62b_m.jpg

620800775_0ef158c2e0_m.jpg

Here is her site,
http://ckhall.com/Undergarments.htm

Some of my corsets are vintage, such as this which is same as the above "mirror" pic, It's an American Lady from 1910, and I'm wearing a vintage petticoat too, tho you really can't see it.
620800795_59cc377c8f.jpg

This one I believe to be from the late 1800's.. not sure.
620711335_233cab8e82_o.jpg

620711467_e69af6b526_o.jpg

620711631_5d16641c2d_o.jpg

Those were taken in the break room at my work, and since they're over top of my clothes they're not done right.

Here is one of my favorite corset sites. She does such lovely work.
http://www.corsetmaker.com/
and this one too,
http://laracorsets.com/Pricing-Edwardian_corsets.htm
Nikki

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Nikki,
Cute corsets, but my big question is: Can you breathe?
and my next question is: Can you sit down comfortably?
I wore a corset once and it looked nice until I sat down and then it kind of pooched out at the bottom, or should I say, "I" pooched out of it! lol

My, what a tiny waist you have!
I think they would have to take out a rib bone from me to get that small. Which is what they used to do back then to get those really tiny waists.
Nah, I think I'll keep my curvy somewhat large waist.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi Bonnie~
Yes, I can breath just fine. The thing with corsets is that you're really supposed to 1, get one custom made to your proportions, and 2, wear it daily to "break it in". It should mold to your body and not be so stiff. Yeah, I "fluff" out of mine now when I sit since I had Nova.

One should never just jump into a corset and lace it as tight as you can. Put it on the first day, cinch a bit.. next day a bit more, ect. It should never close in the back all the way either, there should be some give for flex.

I'm usually sore after wearing one all day only because it makes me have good posture and I'm used to slouching!
Nikki

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thanks, Nikki, for the info. I guess I had gone about it the wrong way. I tend to be a bit impatient with things, but I'll have to try it your way! Thanks!

Elaina

One Too Many
Well, the laces look even, so it looks like you're fine on that end (at least what I've always been told is to have the laces evenly spaced all throughout). It's what happens as you get more padding to squish around. What I usually do in order to drop the bulges down is wear a shaper under it (which also protects the corset too) and that helps smooth the shillouette.

Of course, the barell look I've found is common with people that I know that wear them, ymmv.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Everyone's corsets look GORGEOUS. Ohairas I am soo jealous of your pre-baby AND current shape. You look amazing. I've got a bunch of postbaby flab myself and I find that a long-line corset that covers the hips helps a lot in that department if only mostly covering it all up.

Speaking as a person who wears corsets regularly my view on the 'bulge'.
Mainly I will be refering to victorian and modern victorian inspired corsets because those are what I focus on.

As everyone has said, it's all got to go somewhere and victorian corsets were made to nip in the waist and I don't think the bulge was all that much of a concern because it was just underwear and they wore big skirts over them. If one is wishing a more flat front an Edwardian Straight Front corset would be good or a corset with a spoon busk which is shaped like a spoonlol It is designed to keep the bulge in check.

goldwyn girl, your corset is lovely and I think that next time getting a longline corset that covers a little of the hips as well could help control the situation.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Wow, I'm loving these corsets!

I really want to try a corset out since I can't seem to get my waist smaller than 26" through dieting alone (well, maybe if I shed another 5 lbs but ice cream is too yummy!). However, I'm afraid I'll look way too wasp-waisted in one because I have such a freakishly short waist. That's the only thing that's stopping me!

Also, I need some advice. My first girdle was the What Katie Did girdlette. It was cute, but too light-weight and the top would roll down on me. My current girdle is an OB Rago, which I love. However, the one thing I really loved about the WKD girdle was that it was cut high up over the bum in the back so it didn't smash my booty down. See, my butt is flat enough as it is without my Rago making it near invisible! Are there any Rago-esque girdles that don't give you a pancake butt? It's making me crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred