Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My backordered black Rago arrived today!

But I can't try it on until the muscle spasm dies down... did you ever try Darvon with Maker's Mark? It's lovely...
And just in time to tame the expanding flesh of the holiday season...

Miss Brill

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Am I the only nutjob who thinks she looks better without a girdle? I think it's because the girdle did more to squish my hips than my waist. My waist is a bit thick, so having a larger bust and larger hips makes the waist look smaller (42-35-41). It's not so noticable with a dress with a fuller skirt, but when I tried my new wiggle dress on with it, there was a big difference. I look much more hourglassy without the girdle.

I think I look better without anything. I hate that middle-bulge that anything that stops at the waist gives. And I hate the flat rear look too. If I'm wearing thin pants & feel like I need smoothing, I'll wear some good pantyhose, or a stretchy "pant liner" as I think they are called.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds like you don't need it!

Miss Brill said:
I think I look better without anything. I hate that middle-bulge that anything that stops at the waist gives. And I hate the flat rear look too. If I'm wearing thin pants & feel like I need smoothing, I'll wear some good pantyhose, or a stretchy "pant liner" as I think they are called.

And good for you! But in vintage, sometimes you want to try to mold yourself to the ideal of the era in question. I'm a bit fat for the 30s, but I love it so...

:eek:fftopic: Who the hell is that in your Avatar? You don't resemble that I hope!
But he's cute...

MissHannah

One Too Many
I have a question about shapewear - I have a small waist (about 24") but rather narrow hips. I would like to cinch my waist in a tad just to make my hips and boobs look a bit bigger and more hourglassy. Does anyone do waist cinchers (rather than corsets) in small enough sizes? I can't seem to find the Rago one in anything smaller than a 26".

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissHannah said:
I have a question about shapewear - I have a small waist (about 24") but rather narrow hips. I would like to cinch my waist in a tad just to make my hips and boobs look a bit bigger and more hourglassy. Does anyone do waist cinchers (rather than corsets) in small enough sizes? I can't seem to find the Rago one in anything smaller than a 26".

Yeah, Rago's smallest size is a 26. Do you sew? You could always take it in!

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Visible garters??

So I bought this GREAT crocheted/knitted 30s dress/gown (it's floor length...I'll post pics later this week.). It fits like a glove:D . My issue is that because it is close fitting around the hip and thigh, you will be able to see the outline of the garters/stockings when I walk...unless I find a pair of LOOONG garters and short stockings that would place them on the lower part of my thigh. What is the etiquette on the outline of the garter under the dress???[huh]

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
pennyseranade said:
My issue is that because it is close fitting around the hip and thigh, you will be able to see the outline of the garters/stockings when I walk...unless I find a pair of LOOONG garters and short stockings that would place them on the lower part of my thigh. What is the etiquette on the outline of the garter under the dress???[huh]

Just like wearing FF hosiery with open-toed or open-heeled shoes, it is much less of a deal than you probably imagine it to be. It is normal and not a problem for the clips to show a bit under the dress. Keep in mind that this can be partially remedied by choosing a good thick slip to wear under the dress.

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
Hi Everyone

This is most first post here (I promised to introduce myself in the next one!)

I have been meaning to get some underpinnings for some time now, and based on this exhaustively well stocked thread I put an order in with Girdlebound last night. I am also ordering new clothes soon (I promise to show pictures) but will wait for girdles etc. so I can then give my new measurements before having clothes made.

Corsets:
I own a black satin steel boned corset, and luckily have a husband who can lace it properly! I am naturally at 28" waist and can get down to 27-26" without too much effort or 'conditioning':
Curves.jpg

DSCF0632.jpg

However, there are two problems. Firstly, my shoulders 'mush' at the top, so if I am wearing it out I either wear it over a crisp white shirt or wear a pashmina/wrap. At the bottom, my squishy tum is showing. So, I am going to have a corset custom made later this year, and probably a bit longer. A question - is it possible to sit in a longer corset?? It is just that most of my occassions where I get to dress up and go out involve a dinner, and while I know wearing a corset means I won't eat much, I will still have to sit.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
MegamiOrchard, first of al, you look great in the corset, nice curve. In regards to your 2 corset issues. The shoulder 'mush' thing. Are you refering to the first picture you have up of the side few? Ideally a custom corset is always the way to go for a proper fit. When you get one custom made be sure to discuss the problem and have the corset cut a little higher on the sides to keep that 'mush' from happening.

As for having a lower, or as most call it 'long-line', corset. Usually the corsetmaker will measure for sitting comfort (have you sit down and measure from your lap) so as to avoid any complications while sitting. Personally I prefer longline corsets because of the tummy squish factor. I just normally don't find regular high-hip corsets comfortable.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
MissHannah said:
I don't think I sew well enough to alter a waist cincher securely... Damn!

If you check different corset makers they usually carry waist cinchers for a reasonable price.

Check out:
http://electradesigns.livejournal.com/
She makes lovely custom corsets and also gorgeous "economy waist cinchers" that you can order in as small as a size 16 and are also suitable for tightlacing. I do not own one but have heard very good things about her work.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
I don't think I sew well enough to alter a waist cincher securely... Damn!

Girdlebound do a pink and black waist cincher (Rago, I think) that starts at a 24" extra small. This should fit you no problem as with waist cinchers they are usually cut small to start with so you just go by your natural waist size, unlike buying a corset!

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
Thanks MissHuff! Much of the shoulder 'mush' is like a spill-over at the top if that makes any sense. But I will assume that a proper corset maker will be able to help me with that. And thanks for the tip about being measured while sitting down - I will make sure that gets done!

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
well...

I have the Meschantes Etoile underbust corset in black brocade, and it's by far the most comfortable ready-made corset I've ever worn. The restriction is so concentrated in the waist that you can lace it pretty tight without getting a smushed back or underarm spillover. The site lists it at $160, but you can get it on Ebay from them for around $100-$130. The workmanship is sooo much better than is the usual for that price range.

Still, my Rago corselette (9357) gets a lot more use; I'm crazy about it!

A few weeks ago, I watched Marilyn Monroe in The Misfits and really wondered what foundation garment (or combination thereof) she was wearing. It was a marvel of engineering, I tell you.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
jenny_dreadful said:
A few weeks ago, I watched Marilyn Monroe in The Misfits and really wondered what foundation garment (or combination thereof) she was wearing. It was a marvel of engineering, I tell you.

Now I'll have to go have a look! She was notorious for not wearing foundation garments.

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
KittyT said:
Now I'll have to go have a look! She was notorious for not wearing foundation garments.

She was obviously not wearing a bra of any kind. I know that her waist was naturally small-ish in proportion to her other attributes, but she wasn't at all thin in this movie; everything was big and bouncy except her middle! It seemed to me that her waist was pretty cinched. I was very impressed that it could be done without any undesirable bulging. Unless she was just really shaped like that even when she was heavier!!!

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
i would really like to invest in a corselette. i've got a waist cincher but the boning sticks into my kidneys as my hips are large. i've tried rago high waisted knickers but they cut in and make a bulge at the top. aaaarrrrgh! so my thought was- corselette. except i'm an F cup and i've not found a vintage style one yet that goes up to my size. any ideas?

Josephine

One Too Many
jenny_dreadful said:

Is this a picture from the scene you were talking about? From IMDb. It's from The Misfits' gallery, but I don't know if it's from the movie itself. Her bosom does look a bit... odd there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred