Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
texasgirl said:
I think some of the styles on What Katie Did come in bigger sizes. I have the Maitresse Bullet Bra in F cup- no stretch, so I went up a size in the band and it fits great.

This is a lovely bra Texasgirl but sadly it is the only bra that WKD do in an F and it's in the black colourway only. They also don't go down to a 30" band size so that counts me out!:(

That said, I just went to their shop today to check out what was on sale and my man bought me 2 waist cinchers, a pair of point heel fully fashioned stockings and the Pink Pigalle Mae corset so I mustn't complain as I am very, very spoilt. (all birthday presents)

I still advocate that all ladies go and get professionally fitted for bras. Given that 8 out of 10 women in the UK are wearing the wrong bra size I can't help but wonder if the bra manufacturers would be put under pressure to produce a wider range of sizes. Being properly fitted would hopefully eliminate all the women that are currently wearing an incorrect size 34D (the most commonly abused size!) and this would oblige manufacturers to cater for the true diversity of us girls!

For example I just converted one of my friends from a shockingly poor fitting 34D to a 32FF and she is joyous to say the least!!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Has anyone been to the WKD boutique in person? There's a 99% chance I'll be visiting London in the next few months and so I wanna know if it's worth stopping by to shop!

AllaboutEve said:
Given that 8 out of 10 women in the UK are wearing the wrong bra size I can't help but wonder if the bra manufacturers would be put under pressure to produce a wider range of sizes.

I know that Playtex (maybe Hanes, not too sure!) has bras in half-cup sizes, which is a god send for me, because I'm between an A and a B. Their "nearly B" size fits perfectly, and they are only about $10 at Target.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Yes I went today, they are having a sale at the moment. It's really great the staff are really friendly and helpful.

Definitely worth a visit!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Whilst I can't shop at WKD (E cup) Can I just say the lady who runs the company is so lovely at all the shows she attends in the UK. Always happy to show you new stock etc and the stand/tent is always beautifully decorated.
K

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Secrets In Lace

Hi Ladies!

I got my nostalgic soft cup bullet bra from Secrets in Lace today and I love it. I haven't worn it for a day yet (just a try on) but I may never go back to modern underwire styles.

So, the next item is a girdle. I could use some help here. I definitely need something that goes up the the bust to sort out some of my midsection. I was thinking of going with a brief style because I'd like to wear it with pants, but also to have that stocking option.

Worried it will make a weird bulge at the top of the thigh....and that it is a pain to remove for calls of nature. Anyone try this type?

I'm not sure how to go about this. I tried on a Rago 821 cincher and the contouring stitching for the waste did bad things on my rear profile!

I'm off to look over girdlebound a bit, but I wanted to see what you ladies said. What type of girdle do you like best?

lyburnum

Practically Family
I just ordered a bullet bra (my first one, eek) and a rago power mesh waist cincher from whatkatiedid.com. I took advantage of the sale and bought the lovely pink bullet bra for £15

I'm interested to see what the cincher can do, mostly though I'd just like it to hold me in round the belly when I'm wearing wiggle dresses.

cincherpowermeshct.jpg
pinkmaitressect.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
NoirDame said:
So, the next item is a girdle. I could use some help here. I definitely need something that goes up the the bust to sort out some of my midsection. I was thinking of going with a brief style because I'd like to wear it with pants, but also to have that stocking option.

I have a regular brief style by Rago that I love.

Worried it will make a weird bulge at the top of the thigh....and that it is a pain to remove for calls of nature. Anyone try this type?

A regular brief girdle is no harder to remove in the ladies room than a regular pair of underwear. However, if you get a high waisted style, I would suggest one with a zipper side to ease removal. I have owned a high-waisted Rago panty girdle without a zipper and it was IMPOSSIBLE to get in and out of. I highly recommend the zipper model or something with hooks in the crotch like the Rago body briefers have.

As for thigh spooge, I don't have that problem but I can imagine it really depends on your body type and build. If you think it will be a problem for you, try a long-leg style.

I'm off to look over girdlebound a bit, but I wanted to see what you ladies said. What type of girdle do you like best?

Try ordering a couple of different styles and return the ones that you don't like.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
lyburnum said:
I'm interested to see what the cincher can do, mostly though I'd just like it to hold me in round the belly when I'm wearing wiggle dresses.

cincherpowermeshct.jpg

I have this cincher, its nice. I had to order two sizes down, tho. Its got quite a bit of stretch to it.

Also, the garter clips are great, but may be a bit short for some.

Im just looking for a nice long line bra :(

LD

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
Im just looking for a nice long line bra :(

LD, try ladygrace.com. The have a large selection of longline bras, many available in larger cup sizes, at very reasonable prices.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
lyburnum said:
I just ordered a bullet bra (my first one, eek) and a rago power mesh waist cincher from whatkatiedid.com. I took advantage of the sale and bought the lovely pink bullet bra for £15

cincherpowermeshct.jpg
pinkmaitressect.jpg

I have this cincher and it's brilliant, I honestly don't know how I got along without it! I agree with Lady Day, it is stretchy, and I'd recommend popping to the boutique to try a few different sizes on if you can. I have a 30" waist so did try on the 28" but it was way too small and the 30" is still quite tight so it sucks me in and creates a lovely smooth line. Remember that it should be a bit of a struggle to put on and shouldn't be loose in any way.

I also have the bra in black, it is great but as I have a large chest I cannot wear very tight sweaters or tops with it as it literally looks like I'm wearing 2 cones! Looks fantastic underneath anything else though. I would love to have a regular girdle for more everyday wear but as my torso isn't as firm as I would like it to be the cincher does the job for my 'problem area'.

Lady Day - the Triumph Doreen line does a long line bra and also M&S (not much help to US ladies)

lyburnum

Practically Family
I got my order from whatkatiedid today! The rago cincher is perfect - takes me in by an inch and makes me all lovely and smooth and curvy. And it looks lovely too. I can't believe I'd not bought one earlier! The bullet bra is on the large side though, so I'm returning that and ordering the next size down. Thankfully it's still in stock as it's a sale item.

PS

A-List Customer
Does anyone wear Playtex bras? I always thought they were for more plus sizes but lately my 34DD's have been killing my back. I've never really dealt with this before. I have been at my computer A LOT with my school work.

roots66

One of the Regulars
Sad news for New York-area girdle-wearers

I just learned that Frishman's in the Bronx, perhaps the last of the step-back-in-time, full-service, utterly genteel ladies' corset shops in NYC, has closed down. Getting fitted for longline bras and girdles there was the most intensely feminine experience of my life! I was kinda waiting with bated breath to see when this would happen, seeing as how so much of what remains of old New York is rapidly disappearing these days. I wonder if the Orchard Corset Center is still in operation.

http://lostnewyorkcity.blogspot.com/2008/01/frishmans-ancestor-of-bra-smyth-closes.html

http://www.frish.com/

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Rago cincher question

Do any of you own both the Rago corselette and the waist cincher? Can you tell me how the cincher performs in comparison to the corselette? Does it provide better waist reduction than the corselette or is it similar?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
PS said:
Does anyone wear Playtex bras? I always thought they were for more plus sizes but lately my 34DD's have been killing my back. I've never really dealt with this before. I have been at my computer A LOT with my school work.

I have one. The thing I love about it, is it is actually very comfortable. The girls sit where they are supposed to and your back doesn't hurt. Almost feels like you aren't even wearing a bra. And the straps NEVER slide. The only thing I personally don't like about it, is I need underwire for shaping. After nursing a kid and losing weight, the girls are not the shape they used to be. :( Otherwise, I'd be wearing those playtex bras all the time! They really are comfortable!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Better wear a slip!

pennyseranade said:
So I bought this GREAT crocheted/knitted 30s dress/gown (it's floor length...I'll post pics later this week.). It fits like a glove:D . My issue is that because it is close fitting around the hip and thigh, you will be able to see the outline of the garters/stockings when I walk...unless I find a pair of LOOONG garters and short stockings that would place them on the lower part of my thigh. What is the etiquette on the outline of the garter under the dress???[huh]

Also, knit and crochet dresses have a tendency to show all the underwear through in photos, so it should be a heavy slip in a matching color. Satin would be nice.

PS

A-List Customer
"Do any of you own both the Rago corselette and the waist cincher? Can you tell me how the cincher performs in comparison to the corselette? Does it provide better waist reduction than the corselette or is it similar?"

I actually just took both off. (mini fashion show to lift the spirits!)
For me I feel like the cincher maximizes my shape more. I have a defined waist and hips but this smooths it under clothes and supports my tum. The corsolette sort of brings everything together in a smoosh, a smooth smoosh but still a smoosh. I feel like it it is more dramatic waist cinching but pulls so much from the sides of my waist that it has to go somewhere so it then adds it to the front to back. Sort of barrel-ish. However for somethings it looks better under clothes. It really reduces my waist but then also the hips and but where as the cincher is just a waist thing I get more a curvy shapely look.
I like them both. But I love the cincher. I am going to order a white one for summer in another size down.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PS said:
"
I actually just took both off. (mini fashion show to lift the spirits!)
For me I feel like the cincher maximizes my shape more. I have a defined waist and hips but this smooths it under clothes and supports my tum. The corsolette sort of brings everything together in a smoosh, a smooth smoosh but still a smoosh. I feel like it it is more dramatic waist cinching but pulls so much from the sides of my waist that it has to go somewhere so it then adds it to the front to back. Sort of barrel-ish. However for somethings it looks better under clothes. It really reduces my waist but then also the hips and but where as the cincher is just a waist thing I get more a curvy shapely look.

Thanks for the info! I'm thinking of ditching my corselette for a cincher. The corselette just doesn't fit me right. The cups aren't cut full enough on the top (and I'm only a 36B!) and I get the dreaded quattro-boob so much that I usually have to wear a bra over the corselette to help normalize the way everything looks up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou