Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Brassieres?

I am not at all satisfied with modern bras...

It is hard to find anything pretty above a C cup.

I recently saw a lovely vintage bra and it was amazingly beautiful. Is there a company that custome makes anything like a vintage brassiere?

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
Josephine said:
Is this a picture from the scene you were talking about? From IMDb. It's from The Misfits' gallery, but I don't know if it's from the movie itself. Her bosom does look a bit... odd there. :D

That's....eye-popping!!! Wow! She doesn't wear that in the movie, though. I only meant the cherry dress. Which now pales in comparison to the one you posted. Definitely some help from undergarments!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
NoirDame said:
I am not at all satisfied with modern bras...

It is hard to find anything pretty above a C cup.

I recently saw a lovely vintage bra and it was amazingly beautiful. Is there a company that custome makes anything like a vintage brassiere?

Yes. There is a company called Cameo Intimates that has many vintage-styled bras and undies.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
sophia la shok said:
i would really like to invest in a corselette. i've got a waist cincher but the boning sticks into my kidneys as my hips are large. i've tried rago high waisted knickers but they cut in and make a bulge at the top. aaaarrrrgh! so my thought was- corselette. except i'm an F cup and i've not found a vintage style one yet that goes up to my size. any ideas?

I have the same trouble here, I LOVE the Rago corselette on the What Katie Did website but they just do not cater for ladies above a "D" cup which I have always thought is a bit ironic as surely a great many ladies who do the vintage underwear/ burlesque/thing are naturally curvy hence their interest in shapewear and the fashions that suit vintage figures???????? Doesn't make much sense to me?

I have spent years looking for an original all-in-one type thing but as I am a 30F - 30FF I have never found anything.

The closest thing that I have found that you may be interested in is a basque by Fantasie called "Bridgette", it's not particularly vintage but it is really nice if you team it up with the matching knickers (as opposed to the thong that it is often pictured with....ughhhh ) they kind of join up with it and it looks almost like an all in one although the back of the bodice part is cut away higher than the front. It is superb quality and the back net is covered in little polka dots, it also holds your tummy in a bit.

It goes from a 30D to a 38F and you can buy it from Figleaves in the Black/Soft pink colourway, but I'm not sure that it will be available for much longer as Fantasie discontinued this range last year.

The pictures really do it no justice as it really is a beauty.

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
AllAboutEve- i saw that and thought it looked pretty.
i've been hunting something nice for years now too. everything stops at an E cup. arrrghh! this is my problem- the girls who actually need something to hold them in don't have anything! they cater to smaller cups and hip sizes and all but i'm bigger and i could do with something to hold me in!

i'm even dieting (healthily, though) to see if my boobs will go down so i can fit into something. much to my dismay.

i've even contemplated buying some of those absolutely horrid spandex looking evil shapewear creations that look like something david lee roth would have worn. but i can't bring myself to do it. i want something pretty and old fashioned!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
sophia la shok said:
i'm even dieting (healthily, though) to see if my boobs will go down so i can fit into something. much to my dismay.

i've even contemplated buying some of those absolutely horrid spandex looking evil shapewear creations that look like something david lee roth would have worn. but i can't bring myself to do it. i want something pretty and old fashioned!

:eek: Don't try and shrink your boobs (shock, horror) I know so many girls that would kill to have a bigger chest! If your naturally curvy it may be harder to find garments that fit well, but stick with it as you belong to what is becoming a rare species in the UK..... namely the naturally hour-glass shaped woman! Somebody told me that other day that there are only 31% of us.

I agree, I have recoiled in horror at the spandex "Magic Pants" that hang in their evil beige mishapen way in the shapewear department in John Lewis. I mean lets face you'd HAVE to switch the lights off if you were getting undressed and had one of those underneath your dress wouldn't you?

Roll on the day that someone realises that girls with bigger boobs shouldn't be restricted to a corner of the lingerie department!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Thanks ladies. I'm probably going to order something soon because my Cacique is lacking.

Anyone have experience with these companies? Also, I'm curious about the lack of underwire...which I know is more vintage. That shouldn't be a support problem with a properly constructed bra should it? I've never gone that route.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
OH MY! I just watched the video on What Katie Did. It makes me want to hop a plane right now!!!! I can't wait to look over the website.

so sad....it seems they only stock a D.

It seems I will go with secrets in lace....the prices seem great. I may get two! They are less than the Cacique bras.

texasgirl

One Too Many
AllaboutEve said:
I have spent years looking for an original all-in-one type thing but as I am a 30F - 30FF I have never found anything.

The closest thing that I have found that you may be interested in is a basque by Fantasie called "Bridgette",

I'm a FF too and I only wear Fantasie, they are awesome! I used to go to a local lingerie shop, but now that I know what size/cut fits the best, I order off ebay. I have gotten a couple things at Nordstrom Rack too. I don't have this basque, but it sounds lovely!

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I ordered a Vintage style soft cup from Secrets in Lace. It was only 32$ and they have a return policy, so we will see! I'll report back, of course.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
NoirDame said:
Thanks ladies. I'm probably going to order something soon because my Cacique is lacking.

Anyone have experience with these companies? Also, I'm curious about the lack of underwire...which I know is more vintage. That shouldn't be a support problem with a properly constructed bra should it? I've never gone that route.

I was concerned at the lack of underwire too as I'm a DD but if the bra is constructed well it should support you. It might take some getting used to. Also, What Katie Did don't stop at a D, I've got stuff in a DD from them. You could also try the Triumph Doreen bra as recommended by ladies here in this thread, they are great!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
sophia la shok said:
AllAboutEve- i saw that and thought it looked pretty.
i've been hunting something nice for years now too. everything stops at an E cup. arrrghh! this is my problem- the girls who actually need something to hold them in don't have anything! they cater to smaller cups and hip sizes and all but i'm bigger and i could do with something to hold me in!

Does it have to be an all-in-one that you're after? If you're having problems finding your size cup (by the way - have you tried Ebay? I've seen quite a few vintage ones in a larger cup) I would recommend trying a waist cincher that ends just below your bra. This means you can wear your own bra with it and still have that cinched in, smooth look. I got the power mesh one from What Katie Did and it is amazing.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I have ordered from Cameo Intimates. Takes a while to get your items but I found the quality to be good and plenty of support in the bra's with out underwire, infact I buy mostly soft cups now. Another vintage brand Playtex has good supportive bra's I have two in the "cross your heart" range but I don't know what sizes thet go up to, sorry.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info Sarah Louise. I was dismayed when the bra drop down bar on What Katie Did only went to a D. I really liked their offerings and my name IS Katie, so I thought the name was cute.

I look forward to my order from Secrets in Lace arriving and then my next purchase may come from one of these other companies for variety. Also, SIL offered larger sizes in stockings which are a nice option, even if they aren't seamed.

texasgirl

One Too Many
NoirDame said:
Thanks for the info Sarah Louise. I was dismayed when the bra drop down bar on What Katie Did only went to a D. I really liked their offerings and my name IS Katie, so I thought the name was cute.

I think some of the styles on What Katie Did come in bigger sizes. I have the Maitresse Bullet Bra in F cup- no stretch, so I went up a size in the band and it fits great.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
NoirDame said:

They are probably out of stock. Sizes that aren't currently available usually don't show up on the drop down bar. After reading through some of the older posts in this thread I think WKD only go up to an F cup but email them to check. I would also recommend you try Ebay too as I've seen plenty of larger sized vintage bras and underwear lately.

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
SarahLouise said:
Does it have to be an all-in-one that you're after? If you're having problems finding your size cup (by the way - have you tried Ebay? I've seen quite a few vintage ones in a larger cup) I would recommend trying a waist cincher that ends just below your bra. This means you can wear your own bra with it and still have that cinched in, smooth look. I got the power mesh one from What Katie Did and it is amazing.

no i have a waist cincher but it just digs into my kidneys because i have a narrow waist and big hips. that's why i wanted a corsellette, cos it would sort me out and minimise the displacement of flab. hahahah.

in terms of bras, i just found a nice bright pink triumph doreen on ebay so i shall give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred