Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heather

Practically Family
sold!

I recieved my Rago 821 today and I'm now completely sold on Rago products! :eusa_clap I don't think I'll ever use anything else. I'll admit, I was skeptical at first but I'm so glad I took the chance. This thing is amazing!! Its definitely better than flexees. It gives me the shape I've been searching for!! Takes me in 3 inches! :eek:

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Heather said:
If you dont' mind me asking, what are your measurements? I'm just a little worried about not being able to fasten it up.
Not at all!
I was gonna type the usual 38-30-38 then I decided to get out the tape measure and they're 39-30-39. How'd that happen? :D My Rago 21 "Shapette" in size 28 fits perfectly and my absolute favorite girdle of all time Rago 1294 is a little large in size 30 so that's what I based my size recommendation for you on.
Thanks for the review of the 821, it sounds fab.

Ashley

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
I think this is the right place for this question.

I read in some other threads (I can't remember which) that you need to wear vintage style undergarments to look right in vintage style clothing. Is this correct? If so, can someone please explain further?

Also, is a waist cincher sort of the same as girdle, or would something like Spanx be a more modern "girdle?"

Thanks!

MissKrystal

New in Town
I agree with those who have ordered off of Girdlebound.com, I ordered the Rago Open Bottom girdle, with the soft cup inserts, dyed in their Wine color. It arrived 2 weeks later, which is fantastic, considering I live in Canada. I am very pleased with it, and as I understand the sizing was by your current bra size. I purchased the girdle mainly to streamline my shape under skirts and dresses, and love the garters attached at the bottom. I wear an underbust corset underneath it, and I found it didn't have any excess fabric around the waist, as I do tight-lacing. I agree with buying a high quality, steel or whale boned corset, it may seem a bit steep, but it is worth every penny if you intend to wear it with most of your garments. I have most of my garments tailored by a seamstress in town here to fit my waist when it is tight laced, it does make all the difference in the world, and is not as costly as one would think, between 10-20 dollars if you are just taking it in at the waist. It really is all about personal aesthetic though, I believe in enhancing what you have, not hiding it. I enjoy the exaggerated hourglass shape, it works with my natural body type.

MissKrystal

New in Town
SweetieStarr said:

I read in some other threads (I can't remember which) that you need to wear vintage style undergarments to look right in vintage style clothing. Is this correct? If so, can someone please explain further?

Also, is a waist cincher sort of the same as girdle, or would something like Spanx be a more modern "girdle?"

Thanks!

Sweetie Starr I would agree that vintage, or vintage repro does look better when paired with the proper vintage undergarments, due to the measurements and the cut of the clothing. I am not a wearer of vintage repro, but I have looked at the size charts on sites such as mybabyjo.com, daddyos.com, and pinupgirlclothing, and most of their dresses seem to be more forgiving in the waist to hip ratio. I could be wrong, but that is just an observation I've had. Also, as I understand, feminine shapes and good posture were ideal decades past, and seem to have depreciated over the years. A corset will force you to have proper posture, and the right undergarments will help you avoid bumps and bulges, which overall gives you a more proper and lady like appearance I find. Waist cinchers are a bit different than girdles as they have boning in them, and modern girdles tend to rely on stretch fabrics to compress your shape. I've never worn Spanx, but it would seem that they work as a girdle to smooth, and emphasize your curves slightly without the discomfort some find with a cincher.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
BegintheBeguine said:
Not at all!
I was gonna type the usual 38-30-38 then I decided to get out the tape measure and they're 39-30-39. How'd that happen? :D My Rago 21 "Shapette" in size 28 fits perfectly and my absolute favorite girdle of all time Rago 1294 is a little large in size 30 so that's what I based my size recommendation for you on.
Thanks for the review of the 821, it sounds fab.

Ashley

Your measurements are pretty much the same as mine, which is probably why the Rago 1294 is also my favorite. Though, I bought mine in the 28. I've gained a small bit of weight, but it still fits fine.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Slips?

This may be an incredibly stupid question, but what is the purpose of wearing a slip under a dress? Being born in modern times when most women just wear bras and panties, I'm not sure what the slip adds.

Thanks.

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
I've become a huge convert to slips - especially full ones, though half-slips have their place - so much so that so I'm coming out of lurkdom to answer :)

- it prolongs the life of your garments by protecting them from you. It's often easier to wash a slip over and over instead of a dress.
- the slip makes things comfortable against your skin.
- they provide modesty if it's a sheer garment.
- slips cover up all manner of bumps and ridges, diminishing the appearance of panty lines, waistbands, bumpy bras, and garters.
- they help prevent static cling, and generally allow dresses to hang more smoothly.
- they can be beautiful... or sexy.
- vintage clothes are often unlined, since they were made assuming you would wear slips and undergarments, and so slips are especially useful if you're going to wear vintage.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Laughing Magpie said:
I've become a huge convert to slips - especially full ones, though half-slips have their place - so much so that so I'm coming out of lurkdom to answer :)

- it prolongs the life of your garments by protecting them from you. It's often easier to wash a slip over and over instead of a dress.
- slips cover up all manner of bumps and ridges, diminishing the appearance of panty lines, waistbands, bumpy bras, and garters.
- they help prevent static cling, and generally allow dresses to hang more smoothly.
- vintage clothes are often unlined, since they were made assuming you would wear slips and undergarments, and so slips are especially useful if you're going to wear vintage.

They're all reasons why I want full slips. I've had my half slips for ages so even though they've never gone in the washing machine, they're very loose in the waist band now and I've had a few embarrassing situations with some vintage pencil skirts.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Laughing Magpie said:

Thank you so much for this wonderful answer!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laughing Magpie said:

Also, perspiration and body oils break down fabrics over time, and this is of special concern when it comes to delicate vintage fabrics. This is another way slips help protect your clothing.

Most gals never realize when they step out the door that you can see their undergarments through their dress/skirt, or that that dress is sheer once the sun is shining through it.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LynnLaBlanc said:
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it already, but Timeless Trends is an excellent place to buy corsets.
They are all $99 for genuine, steel-boned corsets, which is nothing compared to upwards of $200 in other places...
http://www.timeless-trends.com/index.htm

I have two and I couldn't be happier.

I was just looking at their site, and while their items are lovely, they use spiral bones. spiral bones offer the most flexibility of any of the bone types, but they aren't good for women wearing a C cup or more and they are the least supportive type of bone. This gives me the impression that these corsets are meant more for fashion than for true, heavy cinching.

then again, a lot of more expensive places like What Katie Did also use spiral boning.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'm convinced...

I was given the Rago open bottom girdle style # and girdlebound website from the wonderful deco seamstress that made me a 40s blouse and skirt. I ordered it right away in time for her fitting the muslins.

She had said the foundation undergarments are important to create the "shape" and look that these clothes were meant for and created for in the original time period, and it changes one's posture. She recommends the Rago to all her clients, and always wears them herself.

WOW, what a difference!! The skirt I had had on before adding the OBG slid down some with having the girdle on underneath-woohoo!

I'm now completely hooked on the Rago and the Flexees too and the Playtex 18 hr bra!! I wear them everyday in some combination with real vintage clothes, vintage-inspired or modern clothes. They are very comfortable.

I love the look wearing these, I've also gotten the Rago long line with legs no zipper (forgotten the style # sorry). Both Rago styles give you a prettier posture/carriage (which I've needed badly), a more ladylike walk, and even when you sit too- as you cannot sprawl your legs when wearing these puppies especially the OBG! The Rago OBG in particular and the long line somehow give one a bit of a wiggle walk- its amazing, maybe because it keeps your legs closer together and you cannot take as long a strides. Well, whatever it is - it works!:)

The first day I wore the Rago OBG with a skirt and blouse while walking down the street, a man a little older than myself sitting with two others as I walked past them, said "I really love your skirt!"

I wear the Flexees all in one too, especially when I want a really smooth line bust through torso in my clothes such as modern knits and sweaters. I wear it with just regular pantyhose underneath (no panties, briefs or thong-I don't even own one of those ridiculous things) and my Playtex bra.

BTW, I've quit with the Spanx and the Donna Karan equivalent. Tried them previously and was never truly satisfied.

I've done a "test-drive" on the Playtex bra and on the Flexees for those that are interested on other threads in this section.

I have not done a waist cincher yet, as I have a very broad back from swimming, and am concerned about having a muffin top and being able to get the fit right.

SweetieStarr said:

Thanks!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
ditto, everything Magpie is saying...

and I'd been working with many years with older half slips with stretched out waists like Lillemor too.

A good slip is KEY! Once you try one, you'll see that it truly makes the line of the clothes look so much better.

Since connecting with real vintage clothing these past two months (early Feb 09) I've fallen for wearing vintage slips everyday! I'm more of a skirts and blouses and dresses type of gal rather than pants.

I now have three full length slips- a creamy white lightweight nylon with pleating at the hem, a light blue soft nylon that is a bit shorter (just at top of knee) with lace at the hem, and a black nlyon-orlon "Tafredda" side zip with pleating at the hem. This one makes a swishing sound when worn, I love it! These three work with any and all of my vintage, vintage inspired and modern clothing.

I would go even one further than Magpie here- for vintage clothing I'd say a slip is a must- to be wearing the clothes properly and the look being "right".

Laughing Magpie said:

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Frustration!

I went bra shopping for the first time in a couple of years and was determined to find something that looked nice, was comfortable, and fit well. I'd been sized by my cousin, a former Victoria's Secret employee, a couple of months ago and decided to get something my true size instead of the smaller band I had previously been wearing.

I'm on a college student's budget, so instead of heading to VS, I stopped by a local department store. Now, I like lace just as much as the next girl, but deep down I'm just not very fancy. I'm also very happy with my B cup and don't really need extra padding-- my mom asked me why I didn't want to look a cup bigger and I told her it was because I didn't think false advertisement was a good practice. I spent HOURS pouring through racks of bras trying to find a simple cotton, lightly lined underwire bra.

Everything that was cotton was padded, everything that was lined was studded or glittered in some way. Plenty of mesh push-up bras, tons of satin and lace! If the padding wasn't two inches thick, it wasn't lined or molded at all. I could have screamed.

Finally, just as I thought I was finished and going to leave empty handed, a spotlight from heaven shown down upon the perfect bra-- lightly lined with "concealing petals" in the cups, delightfully soft, cotton-like nylon fabric. straps thick enough not to cut into my shoulder, and NO BEDAZZLING!
Hanes Underwire Concealer Bra is my new best friend.

I'm just frustrated because I want to know who decided all girls who were smaller than a C WANTED to look a cup size bigger AND strip on the weekends? I just had so much trouble finding something simple and plain (deep down I'm a cotton bikini-cut panty girl, too). Two years ago, I could have had my pick of lightly-lined cotton underwire bras.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Maggie, you know what is also a great brand? Calvin Klein! I'm a B cup as well, and though I usually wear push-up or lightly padded bras to balance me out (I have really big hips and I don't like being so bottom heavy), CK makes amazing non-padded bras that make my boobs look great! You can find them at Macy's and there are usually always a few styles on sale for $20-25. I think they are regularly priced at $30-35.

Most of the time they are a little more fancy than just plain cotton, but tastefully so. My favorite right now is a dark green with some little lace along the top edge of the cups. Very pretty and subtle. My best friend who's an A cup loves CK as well. Almost none of their bras are padded, but there's something about the cut and shape that really accentuates what you've already got! They are definitely my favorite.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I used to think I didn't need slips under darker dresses, but one day as I was climbing the steps to my office, I checked out my reflection in the glass door and was mortified to realize I could see the parking lot behind me thru my skirt. Since then, I've become a slip wearer.

What are thoughts and opinions on light weight cotton slips as opposed to nylon or silk slips? I like the feel of the cotton, but wonder if my dresses will catch on the fabric and result in that bunched-up look.

And a Rago waist cincher question: When it cinches your waist, does it give you a roll of skin on the back? I ask because I saw a late 1940's Joan Crawford movie and she had to have been wearing a corset of some sort - her mid-section was tiny! She turned around though, and in the backless dress she was wearing, her back looked like it was spilling over the corset. It wasn't a look that appealed.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Re: back spillage: when it really matters, I will pin my waist cincher at the back top to my bra band. This eliminates most, if not all back rolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails