Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Give your patriotism a boost here: Share what makes you feel patriotic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josephine

One Too Many
Rachael said:
Dissention without fear of reprisal

I agree.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
52Styleline said:
I get shivers when I hear a band play Anchors Aweigh. It brings back so many memories...good and bad.

"If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines."

I always get chills when I hear the Marine's Hymn for similar reasons. Being in college, I've heard some people give scathing denunciations of patriotism (Aren't all students communists until they graduate?;) ), but I have to distinguish between patriotism and jingoism. We've all heard the phrase "My country, right or wrong," but I prefer it extended to include "If right, to keep it right; if wrong, to make it right."

Geesie

Practically Family
My favorite version is from one of my favorite authors, G.K. Chesterton:
"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober"

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
For us Kiwis patriotism is a fairly subtly expressed thing. We don't do it that much but there's not too many Kiwis I'd wager that don't get the hairs on the back of their neck stand up or a sense of pride of being a New Zealander when the All Blacks do the haka before an international rugby test match.

Oh, and on ANZAC Day. To be at the Dawn Parade I always feel an enormous sense of pride for my country to the point of almost tears.

LordBest

Practically Family
Well, personally I get a twinge of patriotism when I think that Australia, one of the youngest nations on earth, is the 6th oldest democracy and one of the most prosperous and free places on earth. Thanks, by and large, to our rather fantastic constitutional system.

That, and macadamias.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I have to agree with the others who have said patriotism isn't really my thing. I do, however, love the US and having come back from living abroad there were tons of things I missed about it.

One of the things I love the most is the variety of cultures and landscapes within this nation. I think it's fantastic that we are a nation composed of so many different cultures that are able to retain bits and pieces and form new American cultures within the states. You have no idea how much I missed having nearly every cuisine at my fingertips when I was living in the Netherlands! It saddens me that some politicians and Americans would rather live in a country that is homogeneous and bland when the overwhelming majority of us came from another place to begin with.

In regards to landscapes, I can't wait to take a road trip across the country someday. Of course I romanticize it, but it seems like there's nothing better than a car, your best friend, a camera, music playing and the American countryside rolling by outside your window.

Panache

A-List Customer
Whenever I see one of our Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen, or Marines in uniform.

I may disagree with the politician that wields them, but the valor, sacrifice, bravery, and commitment of the men and women of our armed forces make me incredibly proud to be an American!

Cheers

Jamie

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Oh yeah Ray Charles indeed!

(Thanks for the welcome backs, not really Back- just had to check in for a "fix", but glad to see so may familiar faces still around)

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I think being able to express yourself freely, worship as you choose and the right to actually chase whatever dream you have is pretty much The American Dream. I have so much to be thankful for because I am an average guy who has been afforded a wonderful life. GOD Bless America.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Eleanor made us proud.

Most folk had never heard of her up to a few months ago. She's not a movie star, nor a world renowned politician or general.

But, when 13-year-old Eleanor Simmonds won her two gold medals swimming in the Beijing Paralympics, the world took notice. And as she was being interviewed immediately after her win (she was still in the pool) and with tears coming down her face and glimpses of her fingernails painted in red/white/blue, she expressed so magnificently just 'how happy' she was...well...I don't think there was a dry eye in the house and I felt very proud at that moment firstly for 'her' as an individual but also in representing our nation at such a time.
Ordinary people who do extraordinary things can unite people under one banner and cement a nation.
Thankyou Eleanor :eusa_clap
eleanorsimmonds.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
Cousin Hepcat said:
So, what makes you feel patriotic of your country (any country)?

Long lines on Election Day, even if it's for Dog Catcher and no violence while the people wait.

Edward & Spitfire,
Hollar if you ever get on our side of the Atlantic, I can show you where 'We' started. That might make our wide definitions of patriotism easier to understand: in spite of all our mistakes, morons of horrendous magnitude, faults and shortcomings, the more I learn about my country (a constant process) the more I love her.

On another note, I saw an unattributed quote that is applicable: They had Kings and Queens. We had a flag.

Nation%20Makers.jpg

Flivver

Practically Family
I feel particularly patriotic when I watch films of our soldiers who give their all to support their country during WWII.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Story:
But I do love my country - I just don't wave around with flags or believe we are better, smarter, stronger, richer, happier etc. etc. than anybody else.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
Story:
But I do love my country - I just don't wave around with flags or believe we are better, smarter, stronger, richer, happier etc. etc. than anybody else.

That's the kind of "patriotism" I believe in. I love my country, but I know we have a heck of a lot of flaws. I'm not going to turn a blind eye to the things happening that I don't like, just because I love where I live. If anything, dissent is patriotic -- it means you want to make your country a better place.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This is an interesting issue. Europeans tend not to be able to relate to America's style of (almost) fanatical patriotism. That's at least in part because they've seen the evils that rampant nationalism can inflict.
It's a fine line between nationalism and patriotism. A lot of people would say that Russia is undergoing a period of fairly ugly nationalism right now. I think nationalism happens when a country is trying to overcome feelings of national humiliation, as Germany was after WW I, and as Russia is today.
What makes American patriotism more complicated is that many, if not most, Americans think of their country as not merely a society, a group of people occupying a particular piece of real estate, but as a cause. America has been called the last great hope for humanity. "Government of the people, by the people, for the people". That's a pretty heavy legacy to live up to. The question of whether this is appropriate must be discussed by other people at another time.
But I think that patriotism for Americans has this dimension to it. We believe, rightly or wrongly, that we're here to bring a higher level of freedom and civilization to the "huddles masses" of the world. We've gotten in trouble more than once by misinterpreting this idea.
Anyhow, that said, a number of things make my heart thump with love of country. The flag flying high against a bright cloudless sky, the incredibly diverse crowds of humanity milling through Times Square, stories of courage and sacrifice from our past, and stories of hope and survival. Hey, Fiddler on the Roof makes me feel proud of America!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The Olympics - I cheer for various individuals and teams from all nations as well, but it's always nice to see your home team win.

Speeches up to and including either party's convention - The convention is usually the apex of hope for both sides. After that, it turns into the mess we have now.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Just to add something to the above. Being something of a British history buff, I find it interesting how Brits of today have such cynical attitudes about the subject of patriotism. The British Empire in its heyday was characterized by a mentality of total self assurance, even arrogance, about the superiority of the English way of thinking. Brits can be very rueful and embarrassed about it now, after a couple of generations of ridiculing the cock sure British attitude, but I think if you compare Britain's imperialism with that of the other major European powers, there was also a sincere, if sometimes, make that often, misguided, aspect to it.
One example is the Boer War. Yes, you can argue it was a naked grab on the British part, but there was also the clash of one side who at least paid major lip service to the idea that all races and peoples could some day live together as equals, and the other side, who adamently believed that the "inferior races" should always remain utterly subjegated. Britain has always stood for fair play and decency. It was often honored more in the breach than in the observance, but the idea was always there. Something at least not to be embarrassed by. For all the harm they may have done, Britain always left something worth holding onto when they left.
I think that if you believe your country stands for something, then you should be proud of it, and do your best to make sure that it continues to be that way. We all have the obligation to try to make the world a better place. Part of this is to see to it that our countries continue to be the best selves they can be as well.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
This is an interesting issue. Europeans tend not to be able to relate to America's style of (almost) fanatical patriotism. That's at least in part because they've seen the evils that rampant nationalism can inflict.
It's a fine line between nationalism and patriotism. A lot of people would say that Russia is undergoing a period of fairly ugly nationalism right now. I think nationalism happens when a country is trying to overcome feelings of national humiliation, as Germany was after WW I, and as Russia is today.
What makes American patriotism more complicated is that many, if not most, Americans think of their country as not merely a society, a group of people occupying a particular piece of real estate, but as a cause. America has been called the last great hope for humanity. "Government of the people, by the people, for the people". That's a pretty heavy legacy to live up to. The question of whether this is appropriate must be discussed by other people at another time.
But I think that patriotism for Americans has this dimension to it. We believe, rightly or wrongly, that we're here to bring a higher level of freedom and civilization to the "huddles masses" of the world. We've gotten in trouble more than once by misinterpreting this idea.
Anyhow, that said, a number of things make my heart thump with love of country. The flag flying high against a bright cloudless sky, the incredibly diverse crowds of humanity milling through Times Square, stories of courage and sacrifice from our past, and stories of hope and survival. Hey, Fiddler on the Roof makes me feel proud of America!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Polite? Yes! - but well spoken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner