Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Give your patriotism a boost here: Share what makes you feel patriotic

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordBest

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
Funny, because to an american, the idea of one unelected person, let alone one from another country coming in and affecting our democratic politics would be quite unacceptable. but then again, we already let the British monarchy know what we thought of them.
Well, Her Majesty does not effect our democratic process, her powers are exercised by the Governor General who fulfills all the duties of a head of state.
There are always unelected people exercising influence over democratic politics, bureaucrats, senior public servants, military advisors, even judges if a constitutional matter is taken before them. Not to mention spin doctors.

Edward

Bartender
reetpleat said:
Funny, because to an american, the idea of one unelected person, let alone one from another country coming in and affecting our democratic politics would be quite unacceptable. but then again, we already let the British monarchy know what we thought of them.

There is, I believe, growing support for the Repulbican movement within the UK (as in anti-monarchists, not US or Northern Ireland "Republicanism" lol ). I suspect, however, that so long as the average person believes that the monarchy don't affect their lives, it is likely to remain, at leat for a generation or two. REality is, I think, that on the whole political scope most people will vote with their pocket rather than according to matters of idealism. Probably not true of Loungers in general, but certainly the public at large. [huh]

reetpleat said:
Agreed. The true patriotic statement would be to wear a button that aid Vote. That is at the heart of our american ideal.

I recently heard two radio commentators on a conservative/liberal show. In other words, two guys are friends but differ in viewpoint and one takes one position and the other takes the other.

One of them was suggesting that he resented all the uneducated, uninformed voters cancelling out his vote and suggested that there should be some type of test or other requirements. Callers even suggested that restricting voters to land owners was a good idea.

I was aghast. To me, there is nothing more unpatriotic or unamerican as an american than suggesting that some people not be allowed to vote.

Agreed. I found these elections very exciting, not least because of the great impact the US President can have on our situation in the UK. Actually, I felt almost disenfranchised in not having a vote on that score! I can well understand the frustration with some voters... certainly, I have felt similiarly at times that the sort of folks who blindly believe smears about one candidate or another and vote with ther prejudices and fears don't deserve the vote.... but ultimately, that's not what it's about. I agree that one of the most important rights - and at the same time, responsibilities - of being a citizen is voting. I loved those "I voted" stickers, and the huge turnout in these elections was enormously encouraging. One of the worst things in politics is apathy.

As to the idea that only landowners could vote - to me that truly is a shocking suggestion. That was actually done in Northern Ireland right up into the 60s, and the 'one man, one vote' demand of the Northern Ireland Civil Rights movement was based around opposing a situation where many adults who lived with their parents were disenfranchised, while wealthier landowners might have several votes on the basis of owning several properties. Of course, the waters there were further murkied because this favoured one tribal 'side' over the other (and, indeed, was designed to do so), but even that aside, it is horrific to me that anyone should suggest that, in effect, only those of the land-owning classes should be able to vote. That would be an utterly retrograde step in terms of furthering democracy, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner