Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gloves

Edward

Bartender
So I'm guessing I must not have completed the order process properly: the Svarogs I thought I'd ordered never turned up - but then neither could I find any indication of money leaving my account, so no harm / no foul. A few weeks back I chanced across these:

1646246899623.png

BobHead are a new brand making motorcycle-style clothing. They're not able to market it as motorcycle wear owing to legal requirements here in the UK (which also apply across the EU) designed to keep clear the distinction between fashionwear and actual motorcycle gear that has a PPE function. Increasingly useful given how much we all shop online nowadays. I'm pleased with these for kick-about workgloves. I came up between two sizes, so I ordered the smaller. Which turned out to be right - they soon moulded to my hands without getting too loose. Been wearing them a lot in recent weeks taking the dog out on colder days. I am very pleased with the quality, though I do rather wish they didn't have the big logo. Still, big logos seem to be a fairly common feature for this sort of glove in the UK, and it's starting to wear off a bit. I may at some point experiment with some nail polish remover, which I've successfully used to remove similar logos in the past. On the lookout for a decent clip that could attach these to my belt; tried a 2.5" carbinder, but it didn't quite work. A small chain / strap that can slip over a clip at each end my be the answer.

These are lined, so pretty effective in moderate cold; down to freezing, I'd be reaching for the sheepskin again.

Al 916

One Too Many
So I'm guessing I must not have completed the order process properly: the Svarogs I thought I'd ordered never turned up - but then neither could I find any indication of money leaving my account, so no harm / no foul. A few weeks back I chanced across these:

View attachment 406498

BobHead are a new brand making motorcycle-style clothing. They're not able to market it as motorcycle wear owing to legal requirements here in the UK (which also apply across the EU) designed to keep clear the distinction between fashionwear and actual motorcycle gear that has a PPE function. Increasingly useful given how much we all shop online nowadays. I'm pleased with these for kick-about workgloves. I came up between two sizes, so I ordered the smaller. Which turned out to be right - they soon moulded to my hands without getting too loose. Been wearing them a lot in recent weeks taking the dog out on colder days. I am very pleased with the quality, though I do rather wish they didn't have the big logo. Still, big logos seem to be a fairly common feature for this sort of glove in the UK, and it's starting to wear off a bit. I may at some point experiment with some nail polish remover, which I've successfully used to remove similar logos in the past. On the lookout for a decent clip that could attach these to my belt; tried a 2.5" carbinder, but it didn't quite work. A small chain / strap that can slip over a clip at each end my be the answer.

These are lined, so pretty effective in moderate cold; down to freezing, I'd be reaching for the sheepskin again.

Their Musket gloves look pretty good as well (solid)!

Next time I go into a town I will get my kinco set to a cobbler and eyed.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
I bought this vintage pair in an online auction. Hansen is another brand with a long history of US manufactured gloves. I think they make mostly women’s gloves now, but they made men’s in the past. This pair is horsehide, which I really like. I am not sure about the date, but I am researching the button logo and the dates it was used.
image.jpg

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
Another online purchase. Does this qualify as a collection? I was drawn to the older logo on the fasteners. I would like advice, too. Should I use a clear conditioner like Pecards? Does the fading lend character?
I also have some great tinted Saphir cream to restore the color. It would be good to bring back shine and even out the color.
image.jpg

Al 916

One Too Many
Another online purchase. Does this qualify as a collection? I was drawn to the older logo on the fasteners. I would like advice, too. Should I use a clear conditioner like Pecards? Does the fading lend character?
I also have some great tinted Saphir cream to restore the color. It would be good to bring back shine and even out the color.
View attachment 413539
Mitts and leather, interesting, are they dry?

Do you know the history of them?

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
Mitts and leather, interesting, are they dry?

Do you know the history of them?
Yes, pretty dry. Especially inside the palm. It is also where the fading is worst.

The logo on the button is older. I think it was used as far back as the 1920s.
image.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I see they are now advertising a closing down sale, which is a real shame. Some good offers for anyone looking the right thing now, but sad to see them go.
This used to be my favorite brand as they could make a custom pattern and use it for all your future orders. Unfortunately they no longer offer that and their options have been significantly li

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
I see they are now advertising a closing down sale, which is a real shame. Some good offers for anyone looking the right thing now, but sad to see them go.
I agree, it is sad. I get the sense that making gloves takes a lot of skills and special machinery to cut and sew them. It is a shame to lose this.

Edward

Bartender
I agree, it is sad. I get the sense that making gloves takes a lot of skills and special machinery to cut and sew them. It is a shame to lose this.

I suspect it's one of those "modern world" things, for good or ill: we live in an era when most people will buy gloves (like hats) as a purely utilitarian item, from a department store. Likely a cheaply made pair, worn a season or two, only when the cold really needs it.... It's easy to forget that there aren't many of us around, really, who view these things through lenses of intangibles like 'craftsmanship', or who prefer the idea of buying one (or, realistically, often many, in all the colours ;) ), expensive thing which will last for a long time. Add to that those of us fortunate enough to be able to spend that kind of money on an accessory like gloves...

I don't intend this to be an anti-modern world rant by any means, just that sometimes I forget the modern, fashion-world has moved on. Then I see you're the only one wearing gloves, or a hat, or it's the middle of Summer and all the fashion kids are still wearing woolly beanies... :D

Dmartin

New in Town
I love my Crud gloves in elkskin. I have been wearing them this/past winter season almost everyday. Walking the dog, working outside, riding motorcycles on colder days. They served me very well so far and I believe they will last me long time. Sorry for the sloppy pic, just wanted to give you an idea of how they developed over the winter.

Cleaned them once with saddle soap and conditioned afterwards.

Attachments

• E54C52FF-D867-4A21-9D31-F5ED76F5DF4F.jpeg
    E54C52FF-D867-4A21-9D31-F5ED76F5DF4F.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 113

Al 916

One Too Many
I love my Crud gloves in elkskin. I have been wearing them this/past winter season almost everyday. Walking the dog, working outside, riding motorcycles on colder days. They served me very well so far and I believe they will last me long time. Sorry for the sloppy pic, just wanted to give you an idea of how they developed over the winter.

Cleaned them once with saddle soap and conditioned afterwards.

They look great! (as good as I thought they would be)

Dmartin

New in Town
Thanks a lot. I really like them. Only if temperature falls well below 0C I can feel cold on long walks. That’s when I pull out the Hestra Fält Guide with the wool liner.
Dexterity on the Crud ist very good, I can do work with them and can pull out a dog treat of the bag :)
For riding in summer I wear the motostuka, amazing gloves and get buttery soft with wear.

Al 916

One Too Many
Almost a year and I have finally found the pair I envisioned.
I have bought, tried and returned about six ranging from £30 to £70.

These £11

Unknown.jpeg

_20220831_105911.JPG

f2002q

One of the Regulars
I just got these Elkskin gloves from Churchill Gloves. I had to exchange them because my regular size was too big, I guess this pattern is much larger. Anyway, such nice, thick, unlined gloves. IMG_6180.jpeg

Goel

A-List Customer
Now that Chester Jeffries is gone, is there anyone that does full made to measurement custom gloves? I can't think of any other company that has such close fitting gloves that still alow so much dexterity; with internal stitching and cashmere lining at that.

Man, what a wonderful thing bicycle gloves are!!
I mean, todays winters are ridiculous and in Germany, you rarely need closed winter gloves. I'm always wearing my bicycle gloves.

Smoking pipe, getting groceries, whatever you want. Just lovely! Your fingertips are surely cold, but your hand altogether stays cozy, all the time and you can use your fingers without undressing. :)

Such a versatile thing and come on, 15 whatever bucks.

Attachments

• IMGP9642.JPG
    IMGP9642.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMGP9643.JPG
    IMGP9643.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner