Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatskin vs horsehide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Uhhhh, hate to be the one to fill you in but Senicko is me. The jacket was mine. I sold it. It was not issued. It was original. Now, could you please just calm down. Phewww.[huh] [huh] [huh]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gentlemen...'time out' please.

Once we're finished stamping our feet here gents, would you do me the service of getting back onto topic please and not letting this turn into a slinging match.

It's the merits of horse or goat jackets...that's it, dead simple.

Just have a 'wee think' here...you know what? In the 'real world' I could see us all having a pint together and a laugh and discussing our jackets in a gentlemanly fashion and getting on famously. Who knows...maybe one day.

So for now...please bear in mind, The Fantasy Island environment here, where we are only looking at a computer screen from the privacy of own little worlds, it's very easy to lose perspective on things.

Therefore Gent's...I really appreciate your help in keeping this civil and on topic and I know most of the time over the years you come up trumps one-hundred-fold.

Thanks for your time gentlemen.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Got me a horse

Nicely priced (just under 3 bills) off eBay from a vendor who had about 3 sizes left.
So far I dig the fit, feel, construction and color (not as stiff or tightly cut as I'd anticipated), but I want to know what YOU think.
I have replaced the maker's label with a Photoshopped fictitious one*, as the jacket comes from a "contemporary" mass market maker whose product is not well respected by the connaisseur.
It was supposedly from a special order batch meant to follow WW2 spec more closely than said maker's usual product.**
But...what do YOU think? Did I get took? Is it likely to slough off its tanning and pop its seams?
Keep in mind I'm NOT looking to invest in a collectible, I want a reasonable balance between daily wearability and period look and feel.

*Collegiate Mfg. was a real company in my hometown that did make military rainwear during WW2 (but not leather jackets).
**Among advertised improvements were more authentic snap/latch hardware, a trimmer, more true-to-size fit, narrower epaulettes and an all cotton lining. Yes of course the back is one piece. I'll post another pic if you want to see.

400211202_117baac37b_o.jpg

400211209_ddcde3561f.jpg

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
I believe this to be a G-2, but who really knows. All of that was a time so long ago.

7f69_1.jpg

The G2 Flight Jacket was designed prior to WWII to be the official United States Navy flyer’s jacket. This honor was ultimately given to the G-1 Aviator Jacket with it's fur collar. The USA G-2 Aviator Jacket is made from thick, tough brown leather with a polyester/cotton lining. It has ribbed knit cuffs and waistband, military spec zipper and fasteners and a leather top collar. In additin to the inside snapped gun pocket, it has 2 deep front handwarmer pockets, and 2 additional zip pockets.
Looks like what they call a "raider" jacket. a bunch of manufacturers make them. they are not military.

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
Nicely priced (just under 3 bills) off eBay from a vendor who had about 3 sizes left.
So far I dig the fit, feel, construction and color (not as stiff or tightly cut as I'd anticipated), but I want to know what YOU think.
I have replaced the maker's label with a Photoshopped fictitious one*, as the jacket comes from a "contemporary" mass market maker whose product is not well respected by the connaisseur.
It was supposedly from a special order batch meant to follow WW2 spec more closely than said maker's usual product.**
But...what do YOU think? Did I get took? Is it likely to slough off its tanning and pop its seams?
Keep in mind I'm NOT looking to invest in a collectible, I want a reasonable balance between daily wearability and period look and feel.

*Collegiate Mfg. was a real company in my hometown that did make military rainwear during WW2 (but not leather jackets).
**Among advertised improvements were more authentic snap/latch hardware, a trimmer, more true-to-size fit, narrower epaulettes and an all cotton lining. Yes of course the back is one piece. I'll post another pic if you want to see.

400211202_117baac37b_o.jpg

400211209_ddcde3561f.jpg

looks like a cockpit. I started off this sickness with a schott naked cowhide a-2/g-1 jacket when I was a kid, then a cooper goat anj-3, then a cooper a-2 navigator, then a us authentic HH a-2, then an eastmen HH a-2, and I still want an Aero...... Your not done yet if you know what I mean.

The cockpits are known to be a little on the cheap side. I don't have one but I would venture to say they are comparable to a cooper. They are ok if your not into authenticity, as they are not even close. As a daily wearer it'll last a couple of years. Good luck with it.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My Schott A-2 (now being worn by my dad) has lasted 15 years and is still going strong.

My Cooper G-2 is already at the end of its "couple of years" of regular wear and shows no signs of giving out either.

I'm not planning on attending any WW2 reenactments or similar events in this jacket, and I don't care if the fit is too generous or the pockets a little bigger than they should be, because both of those things make the jacket more useful to me out in the real world.

"Authenticity", I find, is greatly overrated.

BTW, I would probably mystify and confound some of you jacket guys with how picky I can be about suits...:rolleyes:

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
My Schott A-2 (now being worn by my dad) has lasted 15 years and is still going strong.

My Cooper G-2 is already at the end of its "couple of years" of regular wear and shows no signs of giving out either.

I'm not planning on attending any WW2 reenactments or similar events in this jacket, and I don't care if the fit is too generous or the pockets a little bigger than they should be, because both of those things make the jacket more useful to me out in the real world.

"Authenticity", I find, is greatly overrated.

BTW, I would probably mystify and confound some of you jacket guys with how picky I can be about suits...:rolleyes:

"Suit" yourself :rolleyes:

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I'm not a jacket expert as some of our members are, but the questions you asked are hard to answer from pics. Only time and a lot of wear will tell whether it is good or not. If it's comfortable for you to wear and fits like you want, then for under 300 dollars for HH you didn't do bad. A US Authentic is more than that and probably no better or more accurate. Certainly better than a Mall jacket for less of a price.

fedoralover

kojax

Practically Family
a2 horsehide

i have a a2 horsehide from u.s mfg......i had it for 3 months now breaking in very well the color is dark seal brown.....for the money a nice jacket.....fits me very well i am a size 36r.....i was looking at the movie 12-0 clock high my jackets looks like the one in the movies......

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
fedoralover said:
I'm not a jacket expert as some of our members are, but the questions you asked are hard to answer from pics. Only time and a lot of wear will tell whether it is good or not. If it's comfortable for you to wear and fits like you want, then for under 300 dollars for HH you didn't do bad. A US Authentic is more than that and probably no better or more accurate. Certainly better than a Mall jacket for less of a price.

fedoralover

US Authentic is at least twice the quality and neither is authentic. Both are starters, but at least the US authentic trys to get the fit right and some of the features accurate. Shaul must have ruffled your feathers?[huh]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
[bad] Boys, boys.

Unless this thing turns out to be a complete snotrag that breaks down in a year, I suspect it'll be quite up to my requirements. And if it ain't, why, I'll make the sucker into a saxophone case.

And Swoosed, if the rest of your earthly existence achieves even one-tenth the level of authenticity you claim for your jacket stash, you are one truly discerning and demanding dude, and my c-cap is doffed to you. :eusa_clap

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
A late addition to this thread, I have ELC Cable in goat and it's tough as old boots, even after a year the sleeves are only starting to crease. My other jackets in HH have come out nicely with wear and tear. The only jacket that I didn't get to wear much was a Lost Worlds HH which was bullet proof, the HH on that was too thick!

I think gentleman, whatever jacket is purchased regardless of make and cost, as long as the owner is happy with it, that is what counts! Horses for courses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS