Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to the beach...

Fofi

New in Town
How do you dress to go to the beach? I have just purchased a 50's swimsuit repro, and I don't know what to wear over it (it has a halter neck) to go to the beach... I'm also wondering about shoes, would simple flats be ok?
I believe women used to chage into their swimsuits in little cabins at the beach, but those are becoming rare nowadays and it's not an option where I go.

Any advise welcomed!

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Hi, I usually wear a short sarong with my swimsuit. I have one vintage "swim robe" that matches my blue suit perfectly so I wear that open over my suit. It is lightweight cotton, 3/4 length sleeves, hip length and has 2 big hip pockets. I spend more time by the pool than in the sand and usually wear platforms. Here's a great resource for info on vintage fashion 1900's to 1960s http://glamourdaze.com/category/1940s-swimwear

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
I usually wear my swim suit with a flowery summer skirt over it. Mine is a halter neck as well and together I look quite "dressed." That plus an enormous sun hat since I'm quite bad with heat and sun despite being part Ethiopian!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fofi

New in Town
Scarlett aren't you scared that your vintage swimdress will get damaged with sea water? I don't own much true vintage clothes but I always wnder how to keep them in shape after so many years!
ThesacredFemme, I thought about doing just that and I actually ordered a cute skirt on Wednesday to wear with my swimsuit... I'm desperately looking for a hat but I don't find anything that fits me and my budget!
I'm also looking for nice platforms, but sadly all I've found in my size so far had nothing of a vintage look!
What about your hair ladies? Do you bother curling it when you know you'll bathe the next day? I have rather long hair and I'm really wondering what to do about it...

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I adore going to the beach and pool. For myself I dislike wearing a bathing suit, to me it feels like I'm wearing my underwear out doors. While looking at old Victorian beach photos, I searched the net for a Victorian repo swim suit and I found this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/31/45/aa/3145aae5459940d2a059cc1ff6f6acf0.jpg I've worn it in the pool the fabric is all cotton with no stretch its so comfortable and I feel so much better wearing my suit :) You can get your very own Victorian swim suit here http://recollections.biz/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SEARCH&q=swim+suit+womens

Frk.W

New in Town
I made a 1940's/50's-ish bathing suit with modesty skirt front from fused double layers of modern swimsuit fabric a couple of years ago, loosely based on a Mrs Depew bra pattern and an old favourite suit of mine. I had vague plans to make a wool jersey suit with longer legs this year, but I don't think I will have time to make it, unfortunately - next year seems more likely. It would be practical, the vast majority of the outdoor swimming and bathing I do is in lakes, not on beaches or in pools, and often in rather cold water. I tend to wear shirtwaist dresses that button all the way up the front when going bathing, they are easy and practical to change in and out of and easy to wear unbuttoned over the suit between dips, too. A bathing robe would be an amazing thing to have, though - some time when I've worked some more necessary stuff off the to-make-list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui