Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Age Comic Books

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
#145, March of 1951, with a Jack Kamen cover. JUMBO was published by Real Adventure Publ. Co. (Fiction House), from 1938 to 1953. Sheena was one of its main features.

CCF03182010_00000-1.jpg

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I need to get you guys pics. But two more comics have been added to my Chelser Digest collection. I now have all two issues of "Tops in Humor" and found an elusive Private Bill #3. An issue I previously hadn't even seen evidence of!

Matt

Corto

A-List Customer
I'm a huge EC comics fan.
There were some fantastic artists and writers in the 1950's...Kurtzman, Severin, Wally Wood, Jack Davis, etc., etc...This is a cover I keep on the wall next to my drawing table...
two-fisted25.jpg

...and "The Corpse on the Imjin" is probably the best comic book story ever done.
imjin_01.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Man, what a great cover! Even though comics are now more graphic, I don't know if such a martial image would be "tolerated" today, one which conveys the idea that impending peace means nothing to the dead. I don't recall if any of the EC artists actually served in WWII or Korea, but they were great at expressing the realities of war (and how many other companies at that time would feature a Black man on an issue's cover?) I need to check out Corpse on the Imjin.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
MPicciotto said:
I need to get you guys pics. But two more comics have been added to my Chelser Digest collection. I now have all two issues of "Tops in Humor" and found an elusive Private Bill #3. An issue I previously hadn't even seen evidence of!

Matt

That is always a pleasure, finding an issue that is not even listed in the guides!

Corto

A-List Customer
Widebrim said:
^^Man, what a great cover! Even though comics are now more graphic, I don't know if such a martial image would be "tolerated" today, one which conveys the idea that impending peace means nothing to the dead. I don't recall if any of the EC artists actually served in WWII or Korea, but they were great at expressing the realities of war (and how many other companies at that time would feature a Black man on an issue's cover?) I need to check out Corpse on the Imjin.
I think comic book covers today are pretty graphic.
Kurtzman and EC paved the way though.

Definitely check out "Corpse on the Imjin". In my opinion, it's the greatest piece of visual storytelling ever. And even today, I don't think anyone can come close to Kurtzman's fluid artistic style.

Corto

A-List Customer
Widebrim said:
^^...I don't recall if any of the EC artists actually served in WWII or Korea, but they were great at expressing the realities of war (and how many other companies at that time would feature a Black man on an issue's cover?) I need to check out Corpse on the Imjin.

Also, come to think of it, EC Comics (especially the war titles) bravely did stories about racism and race long before it was an explosive issue in American society. Those guys had guts, to say the least.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
That is always a pleasure, finding an issue that is not even listed in the guides!

Thanks. Harry A. Chesler is considered a somewhat esoteric publisher. And hardly any (maybe none, I'd have to check) of the digest size comics made it into the guides. My plan once I have found all examples that I can to present them to the publisher of the Overstreet Guide. Seems a friend of mine knows him!

Matt

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
MPicciotto said:
Thanks. Harry A. Chesler is considered a somewhat esoteric publisher. And hardly any (maybe none, I'd have to check) of the digest size comics made it into the guides. My plan once I have found all examples that I can to present them to the publisher of the Overstreet Guide. Seems a friend of mine knows him!

Matt

That is a great idea! I think Overstreet has shied away from including them due to the fact that they are not, strictly speaking, comic books but rather digests that contain some drawings along with jokes.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Corto said:
Also, come to think of it, EC Comics (especially the war titles) bravely did stories about racism and race long before it was an explosive issue in American society. Those guys had guts, to say the least.

Very true. There is one story (which I may have) that deals with racism on a science fiction level. If I recall correctly, it is about a Martian who is a teacher on Earth, and how he is ostracized because of his different appearance. (On a side note, I believe it is also this story which features the male characters wearing futuristic, stingy brim hats!)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Never hear of Lord Snooty (wizard wheezes?). Was he an Englishman transplanted to Australia? I presume that in a run of 60 years, there was more than one principal artist. When it comes to comics from outside the U.S., so many of us Americans are unaware of the dearth and variety available during the Golden Age. I can recall receiving some British comics when I was a young teen, and being fascinated by the storylines and art which seemed "antiquated" to me. (One title which sticks out in my mind is "The Dandy.")

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Before my mother married my father, she used to work at National DC as a color separater and sometimes as a colorist from about 1938 to 1946. She worked for all the big wigs that DC is famous for. If I only had a small handful of the comics that crossed her desk------:eusa_doh:

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Silver Dollar said:
Before my mother married my father, she used to work at National DC as a color separater and sometimes as a colorist from about 1938 to 1946. She worked for all the big wigs that DC is famous for. If I only had a small handful of the comics that crossed her desk------:eusa_doh:

If only you had the file copies from that office...

Matt

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Widebrim said:
^^Never hear of Lord Snooty (wizard wheezes?). Was he an Englishman transplanted to Australia? I presume that in a run of 60 years, there was more than one principle artist. When it comes to comics from outside the U.S., so many of us Americans are unaware of the dearth and variety available during the Golden Age. I can recall receiving some British comics when I was a young teen, and being fascinated by the storylines and art which seemed "antiquated" to me. (One title which sticks out in my mind is "The Dandy.")

"Lord Snooty appeared in "The Beano"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beano

petergray126yv9.jpg

mmm I just do not get it?

Dandy2.jpg

Mr Vim

One Too Many
For whatever reason, I cannot post the pics I have of some The Spirit covers,

but I just love that character, the rumpled suit, and the dynamic story telling, especially the covers. The Covers of The Spirit tell a story all to themselves, even the new ones from DC, I just want to buy them when I see them.

Like I said, I cannot post the pic for some reason, but here is a link

http://www.angelfire.com/comics/wildwood1/covers/magazine/spiritmag39.jpg

just look at that action!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112