Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden era door to door solicitors

Elaina

One Too Many
I must be weird.

I had a very good experience with a JW when I was 18 and traveling, and the woman bought me a far nicer dinner then I could afford, and it was in fact, the only one I got enough at. Since then, I try and return the kindness to them by giving them a cool/warm place to rest, and a beverage.

I'm not one, and I won't be converted by any religion. But I see no harm in being kind to anyone.

Salesmen. Eh, I can listen to a pitch, but by the time I answer the door in an apron or I'm getting ready to go on a date, they tend to go "uhm, you look busy". Kids don't come to my house. Their moms won't let them.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The Witnesses' headquarters is near where I lived in Brooklyn. Part of their "initiation" (if that's the right word) is proselatizing. It got to a point in Brooklyn that they were forced to agree not to do it in their immediate neighborhood. I think diffierent individuals have different degrees of sensitivity. The immediate irritation level when you see them at the door can make you automatically get into a rude attitude, but I agree that sometimes a polite but firm preemptive "I'm not interested" can be effective. Really, it's not that I'm not interested, it's just that I know I'm going to be talked AT and not talked TO. They really are nice folks, but I just can't sign on with some of their ideas.
As far as other door to door people, it all dpends on who they are. I'm always happy to buy Girl Scout cookies, but there's another group, I think they're called Good Kids of America, which sends kids door to door, ostensibly selling for charity, but they're not. As one 10 year old told me with a sigh, as his explotive father sat in the car, it's really a money making job. In other words a child exploitation racket.
Back in the day, the Fuller Brush man was ALWAYS welcome. It was always fun to see his dog and pony act, and my mom usually wound up buying something. Likewise the Electrolux man. We had an Electrolux, but often needed new accessories.
Nowadays a lot of political canvassers come around. I'll usually listen to them. And Aids Walk, Breast Cancer Walk, etc.

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
PrettySquareGal said:
When I am in the middle of something, "five seconds of my time" can be a big inconvenience.

I think it's mighty rude for people to solicit despite a "no soliciting" sign.

I do not know of a centralized "opt out" for Jehova's Witnesses.

They are doing this on their time and dime at my home.

Also, who made sarcastic or childish remarks?

I can understand your frustration if you have put a sign up, but as they are very respectful of other peoples wishes and privacy I can only assume they haven't noticed the sign on the way in. Perhaps placing the sign on the gate or letterbox would be easier to spot before they walk all the way up to the front door.

Like I said before, if you really don't want them calling on you, all you have to do is ask them!!! They're not there to annoy you, perhaps you didn't know of an "opt out" because you never actually stopped for a moment to talk to them, just politely ask them not to call on you anymore and they will happily respect your request.

The sarcastic/childish remarks comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular, I was merely pointing out the fact that nobody need resort to uncivil behaviour to stop people from knocking. People should just courteously discuss the problem they have like an adult and sort it out.

Lets party on dudes, and be excellent to each other...:cheers1:

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
I did door-to-door fundraising once. For two weeks - i was awful at it. It's the only job i've ever been fired from, and my boss even apologized for firing me ;).

So, from that side of the door, i can tell you a smile goes a long way, even if it comes with a quick "no, thanks" and a closing door. That's a heck of a lot nicer than most people!

From the solicitee side, i've always liked talking to strangers anyway - if they're nice, of course! There is, on the other hand, no chance that i will buy your product or otherwise change my ways for you. I try to make that clear so i'm not wasting anyone's time, but after that i'm often up for a chat =).

I quite dislike it when folks are pushy, though! I absolutely hate being rude, so please don't make that the only way to get rid of you. If it comes to that, i usually "spouse" them (that's the "oh, well, i'd have to ask my girlfriend" line). Also, if i said i'm in a hurry or running late, it's because i'm in a hurry or running late!

Anyhow, unless the person selling to me is rude or something, i always tell them good luck.

Foofoogal

Banned
In defense of being rude when it is called for a few years back someone I know had the JW coming to their house and speaking to their wife. The man even asked them to not come anymore. They would not listen and would come when he was not there. They actually told the man they look in the newspaper for obits and go to peoples homes to help in time of need.
This caused a major rift in the marriage. The wife was ill at the time and they made it very hard for the man to take care of his wife.
Wrong on so many levels. I am sure it is like anything else. Some will go overboard like these did but sometimes people will not take no for an answer.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
An Answer for Everything

A friend and I were talking about salesmen today. (She used to work in retail.) She explained that part of selling was to have an answer for everything. If you don't read their paper, they'll tell you why you'll read it if you have it. If you can't afford it, they'll explain how you can afford it. If you say you don't need it--well, you get the idea. If you don't want to spend your money or join their organization or contribute to their cause, there's no need to have a conversation with them. A simple no and then closing the door saves your time and theirs.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Pera.T said:
I can understand your frustration if you have put a sign up, but as they are very respectful of other peoples wishes and privacy I can only assume they haven't noticed the sign on the way in. Perhaps placing the sign on the gate or letterbox would be easier to spot before they walk all the way up to the front door.

Like I said before, if you really don't want them calling on you, all you have to do is ask them!!! They're not there to annoy you, perhaps you didn't know of an "opt out" because you never actually stopped for a moment to talk to them, just politely ask them not to call on you anymore and they will happily respect your request.

The sarcastic/childish remarks comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular, I was merely pointing out the fact that nobody need resort to uncivil behaviour to stop people from knocking. People should just courteously discuss the problem they have like an adult and sort it out.

Lets party on dudes, and be excellent to each other...:cheers1:

I don't live in a gated community and your sanctimonious tone, assumptions made about what I've done and not done mixed with party on dudery is not my style, so please don't come a knocking at my door. As for here on the FL, there's a nice conversation going on here between people sharing what they've done and how they feel about it. Please don't derail it. Thank you.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
A friend and I were talking about salesmen today. (She used to work in retail.) She explained that part of selling was to have an answer for everything. If you don't read their paper, they'll tell you why you'll read it if you have it. If you can't afford it, they'll explain how you can afford it. If you say you don't need it--well, you get the idea. If you don't want to spend your money or join their organization or contribute to their cause, there's no need to have a conversation with them. A simple no and then closing the door saves your time and theirs.

I agree with you in that sales people are trained to overcome "resistance" so that someone saying "no thank you" is often seen as a barrier to overcome as opposed to what it means.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
In defense of being rude when it is called for a few years back someone I know had the JW coming to their house and speaking to their wife. The man even asked them to not come anymore. They would not listen and would come when he was not there. They actually told the man they look in the newspaper for obits and go to peoples homes to help in time of need.
This caused a major rift in the marriage. The wife was ill at the time and they made it very hard for the man to take care of his wife.
Wrong on so many levels. I am sure it is like anything else. Some will go overboard like these did but sometimes people will not take no for an answer.

I don't think anyone should feel the need to defend being "rude" in their defense of their privacy when, after the first "no thank you", the solicitors persist. :) If simply walking away after a polite "no thanks" and ignoring the doorbell is rude, I'm in.

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
PrettySquareGal said:
I don't live in a gated community and your sanctimonious tone, assumptions made about what I've done and not done mixed with party on dudery is not my style, so please don't come a knocking at my door. As for here on the FL, there's a nice conversation going on here between people sharing what they've done and how they feel about it. Please don't derail it. Thank you.
I totally agree with you about having a nice conversation! I'm not here to de-rail, flame, bait or troll. You'll have to forgive me if I sounded self-righteous or aggressive, that's the problem with forums, it's easy to take things the wrong way. Your thread started with "How do you deal with them? Do you invite them in? Buy something? read pamphlets? Scowl and shoo them away?". I was merely sharing how I feel about it and how I would deal with the problem. I'm sorry if this differs from your opinion, but I have a right to share my views on the matter as do you.

That being said, I see things are starting to get a little heated, so I'll leave you guys to it, I have no desire to start any trouble. I hope we can end this on a positive note and agree to disagree :)

As for the party on dudery bit, check out "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" ;)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PrettySquareGal said:
When I am in the middle of something, "five seconds of my time" can be a big inconvenience. I think it's mighty rude for people to solicit despite a "no soliciting" sign. I do not know of a centralized "opt out" for Jehova's Witnesses. They are doing this on their time and dime at my home. Also, who made sarcastic or childish remarks?

I look at answering the door like answering the phone - if I'm not expecting anyone, or I'm sitting in the office and see solicitors canvasing the neighborhood, I just opt to not answer the door. Ditto if I'm in the middle of something else when the phone or doorbell rings and I'm not waiting for someone specifically or some sort of delivery - I don't have to answer.

It's not limited to just one religion - there are a few - but let's not pick on anyone or their beliefs. How about we just leave it as "solicitors" and agree there are sales, charitable and religious groups who canvas under that umbrella.

But what I *do* know is more than one religious group practices shunning of former members...so simply starting off with "Well, before I was excommunicated/banned/left the faith, I had a real big disagreement over..." and by that time, they've scurried off and pass us by in the future, or at least for a year or two.

Also keep in mind that with sales people on the phone or at the door, they're just trying to make a living. Door to door, telelphone and cold-call selling is a tough racket, and a simple, "I'm not interested," and closing the door or hanging up gets the message across. If not, or if they ignore signs that are placed where any idiot would see them - then feel free to lower the boom.

"I'll remember you in my prayers tonight that your eyesight is restored so you can read signs like that in the future and not waste both of our time..."

Foofoogal

Banned
I have a funny story about a salesman. Eons ago when honey and i first married a guy showed up selling white encyclopedias with red lettering. We invited him in and listened to his speel. (cannot imagine the stupid stuff we bought from salesmen when first married including a fridge with stuff in it for about $1500.00 we figured later could of got for about $200.00:eusa_doh: )
anyway after listening to the guy I picked up the encyclopedia and asked him how in the world could he sell such junk. He asked what I meant. I said look here and took my finger and wet it and ran it across the red. It smeared red all over the white. He then seriously said I was right and quit his sales job then and there. Then he actually partied with us the rest of the night. (way before children)
It was pretty funny. lol

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Encyclopedias used to be sold by door-to-door salesmen. We have the complete Compton's Pictorial Encyclopedia, from the 1950s. The edition dates differ, so I like to think the original purchaser saved up and bought them a few at a time from their friendly encyclopedia salesman. :)

A friendly smile and "Sorry, no thanks, not interested" as you close the door works wonders. Polite *and* time-saving. And then again, you don't even have to answer the door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff