Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden era door to door solicitors

Mr Zablosky

New in Town
In Dallas in the 60s we had the Lighthouse for the Blind. These men went door to door selling selling kitchen stuff- cleaners, brushes, etc. I remember as young kids we used to follow them at a distance marvelling that they could get around with their canes. We couldn't walk around with our eyes closed and we lived in the neighborhood.

TheLimey

Familiar Face
Funny this thread should pop up, as my new job as of Monday last week is door to door sales.
So far there are a few observations I can make:
a. It is ridiculously hard work, never in my life have I climed so many stairs.
b. It gets quite demorolising, the amount of people who just slam the door in your face or treat you as if you were the scum of the earth is mind boggoling.
c. Everybody seeems to think that theirs is the first door you've knocked on.

I must admit that so far I am absolutely rubbish at being a salesman. I have the major flaw that I'm honest...

Elaina

One Too Many
Aw hon, it's like being a telemarketer, of which I do part time at home (as well as waitressing, both really terrible jobs). You have to learn to not take it personally, and that the next one might want what you've got.

I'm honest too, which is hard sometimes when they want me to shill something I know is junk. On the upside, if the product is good, it's easier to sell, as well as being knowledgeable about it.

In the end, all you CAN do is grin and bear it, have a drink at the end of the day and try not to let if affect your personality because I assure you, you're going to get the worst in people.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I don't buy from door-to-door solicitors and am suspicious of uninvited people but I do respect the sales profession and am not angry when I decline to do business.

Without selling, nothing else would matter in business. It's the oldest profession. Some people think something else is the oldest, but that's really just a sub-section of sales now isn't it!? :D

As for the religious types, unblinking eye contact along with, "I am a devout and practicing Druid, and I've been baptized in the blood of a tree" generally leaves them speechless.

Elaina

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
As for the religious types, unblinking eye contact along with, "I am a devout and practicing Druid, and I've been baptized in the blood of a tree" generally leaves them speechless.

Unless you are a druid and did this (and my understanding is they wouldn't anyway), mocking one religion at the expense of someone else's beliefs is something I don't feel is right, and I wouldn't do this.

I don't discuss my religion, other then I have one. I also have a high enough tolerance for those that do it, that it doesn't bother me enough to stray from what I feel is spiritually right. Being slightly annoyed by someone to be true to myself is a rather small price to pay.

Weston

A-List Customer
I'd welcome the Fuller Brush man. I need some new brushes. But I don't think anything worth having is peddled door to door any longer.

bruce wayne said:
that it can be one-upped by a sign that says "Protected by Mr. Thompsons invention"
One-upped in turn by posting these:
434725074_8ad4091034.jpg

Anyone know where I can get some of these beauties without boosting one off a fence and risking getting shot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW