Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Facial Hair Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I've heard that in the 1930s/1940s, full beards were considered to be only worn by eccentrics, or old men. Is this true? Was the wearing of beards looking down upon in the Golden Era? Any pictorial examples of guys who wore beards anyway?

And what about Goatees? Any examples of Golden Era Goatees?

And lastly...Did the long sideburn trend (pre 1950s) die with Rudolph Valentino?

And lastly...Were larger moustaches (think Tom Selleck-esque) popular at all in the Golden Era in America? We all know pencil moustaches were but what about full moustaches?

Brevetti

New in Town
I have seen pictures of old Civil War veterans in the Golden Era wearing full beards, but other than that, I can't think of any other examples. That might support the idea that beards were only worn by old men, who would have been alive when that style was more prevalent. As for the goatee, I have never seen a Golden Era photograph of one. I know several men who sport this style nowadays, which has sort of led to me dislike it and see it as overdone. But of course, others may like the goatee. I just don't know if it's period accurate.

As for the sideburns, I have no idea, though it seems more of a mid-nineteenth to early twentieth century style. I highly associate the Selleck mustache with the 1970s and '80s, and think that the pencil mustache was more popular in the '30s and '40s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS