Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era hotels in Chicago

zaika

One Too Many
Recommend to me, please, some decent hotels in Chicago that make you feel like you've just walked onto the set of an old movie.

Budget is up in the $200-300/night range.

THANK YOU!!! lol

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
We just stayed at a place called The Carleton in Oak Park, about 10 minutes outside downtown by car. It is right off of a train stop. A classic looking hotel...We stayed at the attached motor court hotel which I would not recommend. The main complex is very nice and the bar has nightly live jazz. It is also within walking distance of Frank Lloyd Wright's studio and homes he designed.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The Ambassador East

It was where all the Hollywood stars would layover back in the day when one had to switch trains in Chicago when traveling from NY-LA. They hung at the hotel's Pump Room, where the biggest stars were seated at Booth #1. Loads of those photos adorn the walls today.

Bogart and Bacall honeymooned there, North by Northwest was filmed there and Phil Collins' album, No Jacket Required, was titled following an incident where he was denied admittance to the Pump Room, for not wearing a jacket. :)

Also, the Palmer House lobby (The Untouchables) is not to be missed.

Ben

One of the Regulars
Take a look at these. I think they fit in your price range and are more in the city. But you might have to add a little for parking:

http://www.cityinns.com/

I have stayed at the Willows and had wedding guest stay there. It was a nice place, just not a ton of amenities. Though I guess that is vintage.

Also, you might want to check in the steamer trunk. There's been some discussion there.

Ben

One of the Regulars
No need to apologize, it's good to bring some things up again so that the latest information gets out there.

Does this mean you are planning to be in Chicago overnight during your road trip?

zaika

One Too Many
:) yes! we'll be there overnight...hopefully rolling into town in time fordinner. we're also going to have a leisurely morning before leaving town. so time enough for breakfast and some sight seeing.

we'll most likely be roughing it (camping) the whole way, so we both decided that we might as well splurge in chicago for our last night on the road.

Lancealot

Practically Family
The Ambassador East

Tomasso said:
It was where all the Hollywood stars would layover back in the day when one had to switch trains in Chicago when traveling from NY-LA. They hung at the hotel's Pump Room, where the biggest stars were seated at Booth #1. Loads of those photos adorn the walls today.

Bogart and Bacall honeymooned there, North by Northwest was filmed there and Phil Collins' album, No Jacket Required, was titled following an incident where he was denied admittance to the Pump Room, for not wearing a jacket. :)

Also, the Palmer House lobby (The Untouchables) is not to be missed.

Great place to stay and great food. I was there in Dec. Here is a link to a thread posted in The Steamer Trunk.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=31510

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Harp said:
The Drake, and visit the Art Institute. :)

Definitely the Drake.

http://www.thedrakehotel.com/

Bookbinder soup and a manhattan in the Coq d'Or bar downstairs when you arrive, or afternoon tea in the Palm Court (best anywhere). Dinner -it's Chicago - great food all over the place. Breakfast the next morning in the dining room overlooking Michigan Ave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24