Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era? In 1955, for who?

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
The highlights are not mine! This is how the article was when I found it. So amusing it's hard to believe it's real.
I haven't seen something this funny since William H. Macy walked through his house asking "Where's my dinner?" in Pleasantville.
Poll time: okay, "gentlemen," how many of you will print this and post it on the Kelvinator?

1955HousekeepingMonthly.jpg

docneg

One of the Regulars
My gosh, that's so funny. I guess it's a good thing every now and then to realize that the good old days weren't good for everybody.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Wow! I wonder how many women took this seriously...A few of the points are good, but "You have no right to question him"?? Do you think that maybe, just maybe, it was the man of the house who did all that underlining?:rolleyes: (And did anyone notice that in the first paragraph, the author [a man?] used the British spelling of favourite?)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
This was posted before. It is actually a modern mock-up to look like it is from the 1950s.
It is close to to how my mom felt the house should be kept though.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Orsini

Familiar Face
Widebrim said:
Wow! I wonder how many women took this seriously...A few of the points are good, but "You have no right to question him"?? Do you think that maybe, just maybe, it was the man of the house who did all that underlining?:rolleyes: (And did anyone notice that in the first paragraph, the author [a man?] used the British spelling of favourite?)
I did not bother to read the article, but the old man should not do anything that the queen would have to question.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
The Wolf said:
This was posted before. It is actually a modern mock-up to look like it is from the 1950s.

Reminds me a bit of America's Finest News Source, THE ONION. Has anyone seen that satirical publiction?

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Whew! I'm glad to hear that. To clarify, I found this in my email box not through a search engine. Some real vintage magazines have Van Husen ads that are probably the inspiration for this. I saw a book titled Safe Counsel published in 1925 that was a lot like this fake ad.

julia

New in Town
I remember a while back they actually had an article about this in either Elle or Vogue (American.) The author basically said that he thought it would be awful if it was true because he would never want his wife to treat him like either a child or an insane person who every one has to humor and keep from making sudden noises or movements around. It was an ok article, but the guy writing it seemed to think before the 1980's women all acted and thought like that.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I've been looking for this article!!!!

my teacher read it to the class wen we were going over the 50's lol
my mother wants to read it, sadly, she actually does most of this as much as she can after she gets home from work.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A fascinating discussion of this piece appeared in a museum-curation newsletter a few years back -- pointing up that this exaggerated, fictionalized depiction of "the typical fifties housewife" carries much more resonance with people today than the actual, far more complicated reality of the era. An unfortunate sign of just how influential media depictions can be.

Peacoat

Bartender
julia said:
I remember a while back they actually had an article about this in either Elle or Vogue (American.) The author basically said that he thought it would be awful if it was true because he would never want his wife to treat him like either a child or an insane person who every one has to humor and keep from making sudden noises or movements around. It was an ok article, but the guy writing it seemed to think before the 1980's women all acted and thought like that.

The guy is wrong. I came of age in the 60s, and none of the girls/women I went out with even came close to this imaginary model.

Shirin

A-List Customer
What a relief to know that this is fake. I can't even imagine what sort of woman would even adhere to rules like that! You know this HAD to be written by a man.:cry: :whip:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart