Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era movie recommendations?

VictorShadow

One of the Regulars
Can anyone recommend movies that showcase the fashions of the 1930s and 40s? And not just movies from that era, but even more recent ones about that era. I'm ignorant of classic films and would love to see some for inspiration on clothing, manners, style, etc. It seems like they had a lot of things right back then.

Keep your eye on TCM (Turner Classic Movies)...

When I read your post, I had a similar thought. Most of the movies (non-period pieces) of the time period you reference will give you a great sense of the fashion of the time. I assume you don't mean simply high-end, couture, but what "everybody" wore. If the latter, then I'd encourage you - as emigran did - to just start watching TCM. For example, last night I watched the first half of a 1939 movie - "Society Lawyer -" and was noticing both the men's suits (and tab collars which were popular in this movie anyway) and the more dramatic women's outfits. But to really get a feel for the period and all its variety, you need to watch a bunch of movies.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
First thing that popped into my mind was William Powell in Another Thin Man (1939). He pulls up to the front gate of his father in law's mansion one night, when the old boy is in fear of being murdered. A guard with a shotgun phones the main house, and describes Powell: ' he looks like a pool hall dude". Powell gives him a dirty look but lets it pass. ha ha ha ha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24