Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Things You've Revived Or Repaired For Use

this one guy

Familiar Face
I've always had business cards for work. At a time I had my own cards for home, but I didn't like the lack of flexibility in having all my details on there. Now I use cards with only my name and email address; anything else is written on by hand as necessary. My cards are plain which with a decoesque script proclaiming the legend:

Edward Marlowe

Diseased Mind Productions

<email address>

This system works very well.

Fountain pens are my default norm for writing with. I refuse to use any technology or item for its own sake. Whatever I use, vintage or modern, I use because I like it and find it the best way of doing things. I'm not going to buy into anything new or old just because it's part of a lifestyle statement. I find this works well enough.

Diseased Mind? Yikes!

Sounds like you might concur with the following saying from John Brunner:
"There are two kinds of fool. One says, 'This is old, and therefore good.' And one says, 'This is new, and therefore better.' "

Let the buyer beware.

St. Louis

Practically Family
Here's another one. I use a white enamel basin with a red rim to wash my hand laundry. To the best of my knowledge, that was the standard hand-washing vessel in the golden era. Here's one image from the "1940s House" kitchen, and another period image (look in the sink.) You can spot that enameled bowl in both.

When I need a bigger basin, I use a galvanized tub.

This is definitely one time when old is good. I dislike the way plastic wash basins deteriorate and crack. If you take care of the enamelware or galvanized tin, it will last for years.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The thing I hate about plastic basins is that they don't have the STRENGTH to hold water. Literally. You fill it up, you pick it up, the damn plastic warps under the weight of the water, and it either bends out of shape and spills water EVERYWHERE, or it cracks from the warping and just implodes on you. It's happened to me, I know what I'm talking about. Whenever I need to use a large amount of water for washing something (like for example, vegetables or whatever), I use a steel basin instead.

Vinyl records - I've even gotten one of my friends to start buying records and he now has a turntable. I hosted a party for new years, and sure I could have put my iPod on its dock and played a playlist and it would have been easy and everyone would have enjoyed hearing songs they've heard 100 times before. However, I thought spinning records all night would be more fun and interesting and people would get to hear songs they've never heard before.

I even had a couple people there who had never seen a record player actually used before.

Thrift - this seems to be a lost way of life. Times aren't the best money-wise for most folks, but they won't give up having to have the best and newest gizmos and gadgets. I buy things used or take stuff that's being given away/tossed out. I own 8 televisions and have never paid a dime for one. Almost all my clothes are used (except socks and undergarments, which I get as Christmas gifts.) I'm also one of those people who never tosses out food containers or grocery bags, they have to have some use, right?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I try my best to buy things second-hand, or else buy things that are gonna last forever. Or re-use things for something else once they're done. Most of my clothes are second-hand, among other things I could name.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Fountain pens and inkwells, as regards my own use. And when I teach 3rd grade, I issue each student a fountain pen for handwriting practice. I know of no other teacher who does this, and on a regular basis I remind the children of how privileged they are to use fountain pens. Oh, and their handwriting is always better than that of any other class...:cool:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm trying my best to revive interest in the wringer washing machine -- it uses less electricity and less water than an automatic, and it gives you real exercise, saving you the cost of a gym membership. What's not to like?

rue

Fountain pens and inkwells, as regards my own use. And when I teach 3rd grade, I issue each student a fountain pen for handwriting practice. I know of no other teacher who does this, and on a regular basis I remind the children of how privileged they are to use fountain pens. Oh, and their handwriting is always better than that of any other class...:cool:

I wish you would have been my kids teacher Lee :)

rue

For my part, not only do I use the restored vintage phones, fountain pens, and typewriters, but I now carry visiting cards for social occasions, receptions, and whatever sort of appropriate function requires one. I have cards for myself, separate cards for my lovely partner in crime in the event she needs them, and a joint couples card. All carried, of course, in one of a pair of vintage card cases. So far, it drew notice at a couple of events. I'm planning to continue.

I know there was a long thread on the subject some time ago. Anyone else doing this?

My 75 year old aunt does this, but she goes to a lot of social functions. If I ever needed them, I would definitely use them :)

St. Louis

Practically Family
You'd be amazed at how much you'll use cards, Rue. I had some cards printed and I find I use them constantly. I give them to the cobbler when he reheels my shoes, so that he can call me when he's done. I give them to new friends I meet socially, which makes the whole business of exchanging addresses much easier and less awkward. I clip them to books I lend. I give them to merchants who don't have some item or other in stock, with a note written on the back about what I'm looking for. You can have nice cards printed up so cheaply these days, and they're worth their weight in gold.

rue

My refrigerator, that someone didn't want, is from the early fifties and it runs better than any other fridge I've ever had. It only cost me $100 too :)

My 1930s sink with the original faucet, that someone got rid of and I put in my house, is in perfect working order after a few repairs.

My house built in the 1930s (with it's mostly original kitchen) was going to be gutted completely until the previous owners ran out of money and I saved it.... or at least it feels that way to me ;)

Like Shangas.... I have my great grandmother's singer that we're putting back together, so I can learn to sew.

I still write letters and send cards, as most of us here do.

I could go on, but I don't want to take over the thread ;)

rue

You'd be amazed at how much you'll use cards, Rue. I had some cards printed and I find I use them constantly. I give them to the cobbler when he reheels my shoes, so that he can call me when he's done. I give them to new friends I meet socially, which makes the whole business of exchanging addresses much easier and less awkward. I clip them to books I lend. I give them to merchants who don't have some item or other in stock, with a note written on the back about what I'm looking for. You can have nice cards printed up so cheaply these days, and they're worth their weight in gold.

Wow! You're really making me rethink this! :)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Same thing here. In the new house the Better Half has given me my head. The kitchen in the big house (our current residence) was entirely modern, for "resale value" and "ease of cleaning". Well experience has shown that the Frigidaire side-by-side doesn't keep food any fresher than a Monitor Top. The sealed gas cooktop is the deuce to keep clean, as is the white glass electric cook top. The two convection ovens don't bake any better than the old Magic Chef Tiffin, and the modern counters fitted with sinks with raised rims catch dirt at every corner.

The new kitchen is fitted with a wall-hung sink with integral drain boards, a Magic Chef "Tiffin" range, a little Ufonic radio, Western Electric 553 wall telephone, a medium sized General Electric Monitor Top refrigerator, a Sellers "Hoosier" cabinet and an enamel-top table. I'm looking for a good pre-1931 washing machine, they are difficult to find in restorable condition these days. I'd prefer an Easy, but would settle for an aluminum-tub Maytag, if that was all that I could find. The original coal furnace has been preserved and restored, though a modern heating plant has also been added for the purposes of convenience, economy, and to keep the building inspector happy. The living room features a nice little Orthphonic Victrola and (at present) a Radiola "Super-Hetrodyne". The broom closet contains an early Eureka sweeper, along with a Bissell "Grand Rapids" and the usual brushes, brooms and dusters. On the desk in the library stands a 1051AL dial desk stand, a bronze ink well and a blotter. The Garage houses a Ford Coupe. Unfortunately life has intervened , and so I'm here in Cleveland, in a 1961 ranch house for the time being. I look forward to returning to my old (in several senses of the word) life, but also hope that day is well in the future, as to return will mean that I've lost two of those who are dear to me. We've asked my parents to join us in MI, but the do not wish to leave their house, and incidentally think that our place is just too old fashioned for them, as they were both born in 1925.

rue

Same thing here. In the new house the Better Half has given me my head. The kitchen in the big house (our current residence) was entirely modern, for "resale value" and "ease of cleaning". Well experience has shown that the Frigidaire side-by-side doesn't keep food any fresher than a Monitor Top. The sealed gas cooktop is the deuce to keep clean, as is the white glass electric cook top. The two convection ovens don't bake any better than the old Magic Chef Tiffin, and the modern counters fitted with sinks with raised rims catch dirt at every corner.

The new kitchen is fitted with a wall-hung sink with integral drain boards, a Magic Chef "Tiffin" range, a little Ufonic radio, Western Electric 553 wall telephone, a medium sized General Electric Monitor Top refrigerator, a Sellers "Hoosier" cabinet and an enamel-top table. I'm looking for a good pre-1931 washing machine, they are difficult to find in restorable condition these days. I'd prefer an Easy, but would settle for an aluminum-tub Maytag, if that was all that I could find. The original coal furnace has been preserved and restored, though a modern heating plant has also been added for the purposes of convenience, economy, and to keep the building inspector happy. The living room features a nice little Orthphonic Victrola and (at present) a Radiola "Super-Hetrodyne". The broom closet contains an early Eureka sweeper, along with a Bissell "Grand Rapids" and the usual brushes, brooms and dusters. On the desk in the library stands a 1051AL dial desk stand, a bronze ink well and a blotter. The Garage houses a Ford Coupe. Unfortunately life has intervened , and so I'm here in Cleveland, in a 1961 ranch house for the time being. I look forward to returning to my old (in several senses of the word) life, but also hope that day is well in the future, as to return will mean that I've lost two of those who are dear to me. We've asked my parents to join us in MI, but the do not wish to leave their house, and incidentally think that our place is just too old fashioned for them, as they were both born in 1925.

I hope the best for your parents Vitanola and I hope they don't leave you soon as well.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
I have always been adamant about sending thank you cards, as well as hand written thank you notes with things I sold on eBay. I still send greeting cards, and have recently stocked up on supplies to make my own lovely cards.
I also believe in putting lots of thought to gifts, rather than just buy any old thing to fulfill a "duty" (this really seems to have gone away), which I wrap myself in personalized wrappings, etc. Better than just stuffing it in a gift bag.
I prefer phone calls over texts, but unfortunately most of the people I know don't feel the same. I have one friend that I can chat away with on the phone, but the others *might* send a text now and then.
I also prefer stockings that must be worn with garters over those that have built in stays.
I am currently on the hunt for a good hand crank coffee grinder as the electric one my dad received free from his employer has stopped grinding the beans. I found one at a local antique shop but I need to get a closer look at it to see if it works well. It certainly looks handsome.
This may not be one, but I say sticking with books. It really does seem more and more people would rather have an electronic version than the actual thing. Weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ