Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Things You've Revived Or Repaired For Use

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
You know who loved plastic baggies? My grandma, born in 1900. You'd open up her frig and last night's leftovers were all tied up in limp gloppy bundles. My dad called them colostomy bags. Sorry.
Our colostomy bags have zippers on them, so they can be frozen. :p
We buy the Costco 4 pack at least every 8 weeks. I have a fridge with a lot of those too, and a freezer full of them.
Of course now we've taken to writing on the bag, instead of trying to identify it by sight. Sometimes you can't tell and realize that it's pork roast for dinner and not rump roast.

BTW I think it's refreshing to hear younger people call you Mr or Mrs. I've been called "sir" lately by youngers and it still rubs me the wrong way.

gear-guy

Practically Family
Like several other men I also shave with a DE and badger brush, but also in our home we use an antique coffee grinder, a victrola,a pump organ,and a sock knitting machine. All are in use although the bellows on the pump organ are biting the dust so I will need to repair those.
20140310_201456.jpg 20140310_201417.jpg 20140310_201506.jpg 20140310_201642.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a pump organ, in desperate need of an overhaul. Someone before I got it modified it to run off a vacuum cleaner exhaust, but the bellows are still in place. They're wheezy, but they work if you pump really hard. I can peck out a few tunes on it, but get winded before I can get all the way thru a song.

Feraud

Bartender
Like several other men I also shave with a DE and badger brush, but also in our home we use an antique coffee grinder, a victrola,a pump organ,and a sock knitting machine. All are in use although the bellows on the pump organ are biting the dust so I will need to repair those.
View attachment 11293

That sock knitting machine is amazing! I'd love to own one.

In my 20s I worked in a textile factory and on different knitting machines. I miss those machines.

gear-guy

Practically Family
That sock knitting machine is amazing! I'd love to own one.

In my 20s I worked in a textile factory and on different knitting machines. I miss those machines.

My wife has 3 of them, but I have yet to get a pair of socks. A lot of other people have received socks but not me, maybe they can't make a size 14. She has a great time with them, in April she goes to a sock knitting convention where people around the U.S. play and show off their machines. I go the bar.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
3 machines? That's great! I showed my wife a pic of your machine. She is a knitter and attempted to make me a pair. She only got through one before calling it quits! Where is the convention?

gear-guy

Practically Family
This one is in Nashville Indiana April 24,25. If your wife goes to a knitting site called Ravelry she can find out more about different conventions, and all about knitting. Also sockknittingmachinefriends at yahoo group will also tell more about the machines and meets. If she is interested pm me and I will let you talk to my wife. She knows much more about this than I do.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
When I graduated from college (1978), someone gave me a big, stainless steel, twelve-cup coffee percolator and I used it for years. Then, when drip coffee makers became popular, a lady who shared my house insisted that we ditch the percolator for a drip maker. The drip maker hung around for years until someone invented the kind of coffee maker that injects hot water through little plastic cups of coffee grounds. That kind has a brand name, but I won’t use it here. Anyhow, one of those kind of coffee makers suddenly appeared on our kitchen counter and the drip maker disappeared.

One snowy day about a year ago, I discovered that my twelve-cup stainless percolator hadn’t been thrown away after all. It was hiding way in the back of a kitchen cabinet…behind a huge box of drip filters. I dragged it out, brewed some thick, rich Café Du Monde and served it to Miss Coffee-Maker-De Jure.

Now there’s only one coffee maker on the counter…and it was made in 1978.

AF

Last edited:

gear-guy

Practically Family
Percolator is still the best. We only use ours when the family reunions are at our house. Convenience and quickness has replaced quality and slowness. At least at our home.

DNO

One Too Many
I enjoy rescuing and restoring old rotary phones to operating condition. I just finished fixing up a 1960 Northern Electric model 500. My usual "daily driver" phone at home is a 1939 model 202. Works beautifully.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I've posted about our Hoosier Cabinet on another thread, so please forgive me if you've seen this before. I restored it from a pile of broken sticks to the way it looks today. We use it now for its original purpose. We store cooking stuff in it.

Picture058.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture069.jpg

Picture061.jpg

AF

gear-guy

Practically Family
Very nice work AF. Is that the original counter top or did you replace it? My Hoosier has a wood top because the original zinc was stripped off for the use in WWII.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
That's a beautiful cabinet!

Why does that door on the top left open downwards? What is that compartment used for?

My contribution.

This machine was missing almost everything when I bought it. It took a year, but it's finally all complete again.

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Why does that door on the top left open downwards? What is that compartment used for?

Yes...its a flour bin. Here's a photo of how the little door beneath the bin opens to allow access to the flour sifter.

Picture066-1.jpg

Is that the original counter top or did you replace it?

It is the original counter top. All of the internal hardware is original. I had to replace about 60% of the wood...especially in the top half. And the drawer pulls, door pulls and hinges are reproductions.

AF

gear-guy

Practically Family
On your roll up drawer was it good or did you need to fix it. Mine comes apart and I have been told that cloth of some kind is used to fit in between the slats.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points