Gone fishing...

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by PADDY, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Renault

Renault One Too Many

Paddy where are you????????? We need an FAAR!!!! (Fishing After Action Report!!!!!!!!!!) Sure hope he's having a great time!!!!!!!!!!!

Renault

2. wildturkey8

wildturkey8 Familiar Face

I love the flyrod but the cane pole and a bobber represents fishing in its purest form. As for fish the bluegill bream will always be king of the gamefish.

3. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

Only if you use a bent pin for a hook!

4. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Gents - just back and payback is lots of activity at work here, so report and pics to come when dust settles.

MIDDLETON EMPIRE COMMS - iPhone

5. Flipped Lid

Flipped Lid One of the Regulars

You'll get no argument from me. Canepole fishing makes it quite easy to enjoy a frosty malt beverage and a smoke or a snack. I'm not particular about whether I'm hauling in blue gill or yellow perch on the end of that canepole. They are both equally good out of the frying pan.

6. Chasseur

Chasseur Call Me a Cab

Second call for photos Paddy!

Looking into a possible mixed stag stalking and grouse shooting trip in Scotland for next year money and work allowing of course...

7. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

Commendable, but you must take a salmon as well to complete the McNab. ;)

8. Chasseur

Chasseur Call Me a Cab

Yeah but I am not much of a fisherman... So those salmon are pretty safe ;)

9. wildturkey8

wildturkey8 Familiar Face

Learned to flyfish from my dad. We lived in Arkansas. So I learned at a pond filled with Bluegill Bream and Black Bass. Bream deserve to classified as a great flyfishing species. Nothing more fun than catching a mess of them either with worm and canepole or flyrod and popping bug.

10. PADDY

Sorry Gents - from when I got back from my week away, work just hasn't stopped (and continues). But...I'm thankful that I have the work. Here are some photos from my trip. Some are from the coastal path that hugs the Berwickshire Coastline in Scotland, with lots of dramatic cliff lines that look out across the sea to Scandanavia. Weather was fantastic.
    The River you'll see in the pics, is a tributary of THE TWEED which is one of the UK's finest (some would say 'is' the finest) Salmon rivers that runs through Scotland into England in the North and exits at Berwick-on-Tweed.
    The tributary is just a little bit more quiet and 'secret' and you feel (because often this is the case) that 'you' are the only one on it. Lots of Brown and Rainbow Trout and wild salmon (12 pounder caught!).
    Managed a few hours cycling too, so all-in-all a very outdoorsish and healthy break!
    Pics, in no particular order (bear in mind, self timer being used, so rather restricted on *self* shots, especially around water).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. PADDY

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. PADDY

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. PADDY

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Zemke Fan

Zemke Fan Call Me a Cab

Great shots, friend. Is this all catch-and-release, or do you get to grill up some of the little buggers?

15. PADDY

Fred - get to keep. But wasn't realistic to do so over a week.

16. Renault

Renault One Too Many

WOW! What pics! Thanks Paddy! Wifey will cry when I show her these!

Renault

17. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

Ah, it wouldna be Scotland w'out a thistle an' ruint castles!

18. Mr. Godfrey

Mr. Godfrey Practically Family

Nice photo's - some you could be mistaken for being in Cornwall.

Sadly, I am not a fly fisher but a humble coarse angler but your trip looks like it could convert :)

For anyone interested in classic angling (apologies if the rag has been covered before).

http://www.waterlogmagazine.com/index.html

19. Doublegun

Doublegun Practically Family

I know there were many casting clubs back in the day but I just assumed they were long gone. Please tell me about your local club.

JDG

20. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

The Long Beach Casting Club was established in 1925 and has hosted the likes of Lee Wulf and Zane Grey. We have our own clubhouse in Recreation Park in Long Beach with our own practice pool out in front. In the fall we host a rod-building class, through the winter fly-tying, in the spring beginning casting and through the summer the guys go fishing. All of these are open to the public, membership is encouraged but not required. One Thursday a month we have a general meeting with speaker or event, Tuesdays are for instruction and casting practice (along with shooting the bull and smoking fine cigars on the lawn) the retired members congregate at noon for lunch and more casting practice and every six or so years we host the American Casting Club National competition. One Olympics, we even hosted casting as a demonstration Olympic sport. The club has around 4-500 members and serves as the social center for a goodly number of them. http://www.longbeachcastingclub.org/