Gone fishing...

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by PADDY, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Mike in Seattle

Mike in Seattle My Mail is Forwarded Here

Dad used to go there quite often. He was a long-time (decades) member of the L.B. Sportsmen's Club which I was a little surprised to see was still going strong. I've still got a nick on my fingers from one of the pirahhnas one of the members caught and had mounted by the bar.

While we used to spend summers at June Lake or camping Rock Creek and those areas, those were always bait-casting and spin-casting trips. And then I turned 13 or so and got in sailing as my summer sport of choice. Since then, I moved to the Seattle area 17 years ago, and now regret donating all Dad's fishing gear to the club when we were preparing the move north. Several classic bamboo rods that I'm told would've been worth a mint today, and seeing how the modern versions are going for $2000-up... <sigh>

But in the last six months, I've gotten into fly-casting. I took the classes at Orvis and read voraciously and was out front till late hours of the evening practicing casting. And I supposed I should feel a little like I'm fishing in Scotland since the theater I'm on the board of is doing Brigadoon in the great outdoors for two more weekends, and we have 1/3 mile of prime steelhead & salmon river, and rainbows & brows like crazy above the Falls. So I've spent a couple evening "down on the river" with my fly rod hearing the bagpipes drifting down the hills, sipping from a flask of single malt from the shores of the River Spey.

2. Mike in Seattle

Mike in Seattle My Mail is Forwarded Here

Tenkara - a Japanese traditional form of fishing.

3. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

The LBSC and the LBCC are two different organizations. I don't know anything about the LBSC except that I was there for a couple of Ducks Unlimited meetings and got thoroughly turned off by DU. I won't go of on a rant and I don't blame the LBSC for any group that just uses their facilities, but 'nuff said!

Anyway, thanx a lot for the Tenkara link. It isn't the method I was thinking of but it looks really fascinating for stream anglers. Personally, because I live so close to the beach and so far from the mountains that I am by inclination a surf and still water guy but having a Tenkara setup in my traveling gear is appealing.

4. Doublegun

Doublegun Practically Family

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the link. Glad to know at least one is still in existence.

JDG

5. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

[​IMG]

About 10lb - wild Scottish Salmon (male). Photo via iPhone.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  6. Chasseur

Chasseur Call Me a Cab

Paddy smashing great pictures!

7. Dennis Young

Dennis Young A-List Customer

Looking forward to warmer weather and getting some Bass fishing in pretty soon. I usually wait until the dogwood begins to blood, so I’m sort of bouncing off the walls right now. J

8. Renault

Renault One Too Many

Trying to keep it vintage!

2010 season, after old son and I had elk on the ground we decided for a change in diet. Pulled in these rainbows!

[​IMG]

Shibumi likes this.
  9. Dennis Young

Dennis Young A-List Customer

Cool! How vintage though? Wooden fishing rods? Antique lures? Id be scared to try that. I’d be afraid I’d break something or lose a lure. J

10. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

11. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

Signed up and bought tickets for myself and son-in-law to attend LL Beans fly-fishing school in Maine next month. A "bucket-list" experience and time to bond. Cancelled! Now maybe late summer.

Tiki Tom likes this.
  12. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

This sentence paints a lovely picture.

13. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

Took the little one fishing for the first time last weekend for my birthday. She caught all the worms the night before. Three adults and lures... she (2 1/2) caught both fish.

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 8.19.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 8.19.39 PM.png

dh66 and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  14. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

I visited the ol childhood fishing hole and there's one of my lures still stuck in a tree where I left it many years before...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bugguy, dh66 and AbbaDatDeHat like this.