Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good, cool sun hat -- what do you recommend?

harmonslide

New in Town
Hi.

Marching band camp is starting up soon, which will mean several hours a day of marching out in the sun on the parking lot. In the past I've either worn no hat at all (hello, sunburn) or a baseball cap (hello, sunburn, except on face). Since I recently got into fedoras, I've been much more hat-conscious, and I think a good hat could be very practical for outdoor practices. However, my fedoras are all a bit too warm for marching out in the sun for several hours.

What do you recommend? I don't, by any means, need a top-of-the-line hat. As this is marching band (a high-step band, incidentally, not DCI style), it will likely be jostled around and such.

One thing that popped out at me was, on the Village Hat Shop site, the "Henschel Aussie Breezer Ultralite" -- is it any good?

Thanks very much

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
I purchased a Jaxon Toyo from the Village Hat Shop around early-June. It breathes well and keeps the sun off my head. For 22.00, it's not a bad temporary alternative until I can purchase a panama hat from PanamaBob.

:)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
For my money, an inexpensive straw in any style you like is just the ticket. I found some decent ones at Target a few years ago - who knows, you might get lucky. It doesn't hurt if the hat has some open spaces woven into it for air exchange...and sometimes golf stores have pretty nice hats that fit the description. Just don't pick it up by the front - instead, by the brim. It will last longer.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Henschel/Tilly

I got a Henschel Breezer and was disappointed by the crown not being centered. I should have returned it, but did not bother. I ended up giving it away. I have seen other Henschel hats and have been underwhelmed by the quality control in their construction.

I have seen a lot of people wearing the Tilly hats in Maine and the Maritimes. They are certainly well made and can be thrown in a washer. I have not held one, however, so I do not know how thick the material is and if it might be heavy or warm for you. I don't know. Certainly Aaron would be glad to give you an honest opinion.

You might want to consider whether the hat has a chin strap or not. It might be helpful on windy days, or it might irritate you while trying to play your instrument.

Have fun deciding on a hat, and be sure to write a follow-up on what you've gotten and how it's worked out for you.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Jonathan, I don't know what style you're looking for but something to consider is a hat with UV protection since you'll be standing in the sun all day. Tilley's are good but you may also want to consider the Sunday Afternoons Charter hat which has a wide brim, is lightweight, vented and certified UV protection.

We have some colors/sizes in stock but you can also get them direct from Sunday Afternoons.

http://www.getahaton.com/proddetail.php?prod=WCHH
http://www.sundayafternoons.com

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Inspired Me

Been looking at Sun Day's offerings and I think I'll try that Panama with the elastic sweatband. I know, I know, but the fact is that they are MUCH more comfortable in the heat than a leather sweat. Just my opinion, your entitled to yours.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Prairie Shade said:
Been looking at Sun Day's offerings and I think I'll try that Panama with the elastic sweatband. I know, I know, but the fact is that they are MUCH more comfortable in the heat than a leather sweat. Just my opinion, your entitled to yours.

I like the hat I have one and the sweat band really makes a big difference when its a 105 outside...:D

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Thank you for the order. The Sunday Afternoon Panama is probably the closest you'll find to one of Panamabob's. They're very soft, pliable and lightweight.

Cheers.

ortega76

Practically Family
Pilgrim said:
For my money, an inexpensive straw in any style you like is just the ticket. I found some decent ones at Target a few years ago - who knows, you might get lucky. It doesn't hurt if the hat has some open spaces woven into it for air exchange...and sometimes golf stores have pretty nice hats that fit the description. Just don't pick it up by the front - instead, by the brim. It will last longer.

I ran across an inexpensive straw hat from Cubavera (made by Dorfman-Pacific) at a mall-type menswear store yesterday. Since most retailers are getting ready for fall, this type of hat may be drastically discounted if you find it in a mall or mini-mall. I was considering picking one up for myself because they had some great pastel colors!

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Henschel revisited

Hi Jonathan - I don't know if you've settled on a hat or not, but I came across that Henschel that I thought I gave away to the Salvation Army. If you want it, email me your contact info and I'll mail it to you. It's an olive green mesh with a chin strap. I'd say the brim is 3" and has that Australian look to it. It's a large. My size is 59cm and it fits me fine. If you've found something else, great! The hat will just continue it's journey to the Salvation Army.

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Aussie Brim

ledsled said:
Hi Jonathan - I don't know if you've settled on a hat or not, but I came across that Henschel that I thought I gave away to the Salvation Army. If you want it, email me your contact info and I'll mail it to you. It's an olive green mesh with a chin strap. I'd say the brim is 3" and has that Australian look to it. It's a large. My size is 59cm and it fits me fine. If you've found something else, great! The hat will just continue it's journey to the Salvation Army.

If it's your left brim that's folded up, there will be no interference for your horn whin you bring it up to play.

- Mark

ledsled

One of the Regulars
attempt to post hat picture

Hey NewMexExPat! You and Jonathan should get together and talk brass! I'll attempt to post a picture of the hat. I think it is the exact hat, but am not sure (I download so many pictures of hats). I have not been successful posting pictures before, so I will not be surprised if it does not work this time either.

BTW, there's no snap to fold up the brim. It seems fairly rigid and will retain it's current shape. It looks like a durable hat, and the off-center crown is not bad.... I'm just extra sensitive about those things. (If you ever buy a used car, bring me! I can spot body work a mile away).....

Well, I can't get the #$%^^*@! picture to load! Oh well....

harmonslide

New in Town
ledsled: I appreciate the offer very, very much. However, I don't feel 100% comfortable giving out my contact information over the internet - nothin' specific against you or anyone, it's just a general policy I adhere to.

I'm thinking of a Jaxon Toyo; I have a Jaxon fedora which I am pleased with. The only problem is the size and lack of chin strap.

Size - The medium Jaxon fedora fits me fairly well, not tight or anything. However, the other two fedoras I have, both size 7 1/8 (which I read is considered medium), are a wee bit snug. I am worried, however, that a 7 1/4 or so Jaxon might be too big and thus may fall loose when doing some sort of turn maneuver (we jerk around a lot. Kind of like OU 110). A chinstrap might be nice. Do you think a 7 1/8, 7 1/4 ish straw hat would be fine?

Or maybe a pith helmet:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats