Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good San Francisco Vintage Store Recommendations?

HollyGolightly

New in Town
Hello Everyone. :D

I’m going to be in the San Francisco area soon and I was wondering if any of you lovely people would be so kind to tell me of some good vintage stores, or Thrift Stores in San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley or just around the bay.

Also, if anyone knows of any of the bay stores selling Vintage Train Cases. Let me know! I would like one for my up coming trip to Florida.

My mom banned me from buying anything more off ebay. I was becoming addicted.{Can’t resist a good deal} :D

Anyway Thanks a lot =^_^=

-Emily.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I just returned from the Bay area and whew! Got to love that place. I really like Cecily from Decades of Fashion on Haight Street. High end, as is La Rosa across the street, but such terrific stuff! Plus, she truly enjoys people who show an honest appreciation for good vintage.

San Pablo street in Berkley is another area well worth shopping, the gal from Dolled Up vintage in particular is a very knowledgable and friendly person (her name escapes me this second.)

As for thrifting, don't miss Mission Thrift on - of course - Mission Street, tons of vintage at relatively reasonable prices.

Hope that helps!

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Vintage stores in the Bay Area

This ties into the other thread that relates to this one as well-
I don't know if people realize that about Half of the vintage store in the Bay Area are owned by one guy? He basically dictates how things are moved and placed amoung the stores. This can be good or bad depending on what you are looking for- if you want a pristine suit, it has been placed in the pristine store rather than dumped in the "nickel and dime" store. On the flip side, you won't find any "dumb luck" in the upscale stores and score a really good price. Overall, I have to say it ruins the Bargain hunting aspect, but I've come to respect it- it eliminates the guesswork. At least in the stores he owns!

Anyone tried out "Stop The Clock" in Berkeley? Is it still around???

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dakotanorth said:
This ties into the other thread that relates to this one as well-
I don't know if people realize that about Half of the vintage store in the Bay Area are owned by one guy? He basically dictates how things are moved and placed amoung the stores. This can be good or bad depending on what you are looking for- if you want a pristine suit, it has been placed in the pristine store rather than dumped in the "nickel and dime" store. On the flip side, you won't find any "dumb luck" in the upscale stores and score a really good price. Overall, I have to say it ruins the Bargain hunting aspect, but I've come to respect it- it eliminates the guesswork. At least in the stores he owns!

Anyone tried out "Stop The Clock" in Berkeley? Is it still around???

That was my favorite place. I got 2 1940s suits there, both double-breasted, heavy, in fine condition. One gray, one blue. The owner, Cindy, shut it down a few months ago. She correctly noted that the student population at UC Berkeley is only interested in 1970s "vintage" which she was understandably rather loath to sell. Supposedly she will do trunk shows at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav