Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Wear 1939 Werber Sportswear A2 in Cowhide

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since the publication of Gary Eastman's A2 Flight Jacket Identification Manual it is known that Cowhide was used in the 1939 contract. Therefore John Chapman decided to make a reproduction of this small contract using cowhide. The russet cowhide is soft with many areas of grain and the caramel knits provide a nice contrast. The 39-2951-P contract was the last to have the waistband seam top stitched and the first to be made without the leather jetting down the leading edge of the front left lining panel. The zip is a copy of the M-34 Talon no. 7 and is stamped Waldes on the puller. It is identical in every respect (except the name) to the Hookless zipper used by ELC on their 1933 Werber.

The jacket is tagged a 46, but fits like a Wartime 44 and is extremely comfortable to wear. Here are some pictures taken today.

eggleman

One of the Regulars
Cracking jacket .. the colour of the knits is new to me.
Really nice grain in new cow-hide.
Is the zipper easy to use ?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Cracking jacket .. the colour of the knits is new to me.
Really nice grain in new cow-hide.
Is the zipper easy to use ?
Agree with the above but that zip does look a bit scary. Whats that bit on the collar stand, looks like an extra closure.
Bought new or second hand?
Nice:) John

schitzo

Suspended
fantastic grain on that cowhide it looks immense. With it on it doesn't look too heavy, I guess it's 2.5oz ish, is that about right?

aswatland

The zipper is easy to use provided the male size is completely engaged. There is just one closure on the collar stand, which has been hand sewn in as was the case with this an earlier contracts. The jacket was bought directly from JC.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Congrats Andrew! The total package (contract, knits, hide). Just perfect. Is this your only 39 Werber?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Great looking jacket...IIRC, John makes all the "46s" undersized in prewar designs, because the cut is not appropriate for anyone that big today, who tends to be soft around the middle.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Exceptional jacket. Thanks for sharing your highly informative discussion and excellent pictures.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The zipper is easy to use provided the male size is completely engaged. There is just one closure on the collar stand, which has been hand sewn in as was the case with this an earlier contracts. The jacket was bought directly from JC.
Going by what posters say on this forum I thought there was around a years waiting list for one of Johns jackets.
My guess is just about every zipper has to be engaged properly otherwise the teeth will not align properly. That design looks a bit fragile.
From the pocket pics the hide looks great,a bit like my 1980s (Moffat)steer Highwayman.

Awesome GW A-2! Question. Do we know which A-2 contracts used cowhide? That's the second model John has built now (that I know of) using it. Also, interesting Werber kept the stitching at the waist above the knits but not on the arms as seen on the '36. Which would you say is a trimmer fit? I'd guess the '36? BTW, I also got a look at JC's Water Buffalo in russet and either dark russet or a seal. It's incredible, as is the steer. Congrats on a great addition. Oh, that looks similar to the zip in the first black Ventura I tried. I hated that zipper with a passion! It looks great, but I could not live with it myself.

Last edited:

aswatland

The most up to date information on the contracts where cowhide was used is in Gary Eastman's Flight Jacket ID manual. Not every contract has been tested and there is no knowing the quantities of cowhide used in a contract compared with horse.

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Andrew, looks great! And a perfect fit! Nice graining as well.

I've got a Bronco from John that I need to get reviewed. I'll try to get it done soon. It's a killer!

Brian

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn