Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Wear Modoc

When I had an idea for my "grail" jacket, I reached out to John.
He made me an amazing jacket (which @Grayland now owns)...a couple of tweaks later...
_MG_4319b.jpg

I don't plan on selling any time soon.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'm surprised and at the same time not surprised that people aren't getting mail replies from John.
I had a short mail exchange with him a couple of years ago where we talked about my Aero M442a that he helped Ken with the patterns, and about DD. He said that he sources a lot of knits and zippers from Japan (maybe MASH, I don't recall, but it might have been because I live an hour away from MASH and told him I'd take him for a beer if he was out this way).
He communicated pretty promptly.
I heard he had a loss in the family, and that's got to change things.
And also some people are saying that they haven't heard from his assistant, so maybe she's gone?
John must have hundreds (thousands?) of email enquiries each day, who has time to reply and make jackets? Sure, it's not 'businesslike', but if the guy is by himself, there's not much choice.
Maybe we're just reading too much into it? He's a cutter and a machinist par excellence, not mid-level customer service manager.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have been completely underwater preparing for trial since December. Hadn’t read the forum for ages, but I decided to pop in for a quick diversion. Absolutely had no intention of posting, but could not resist this crack . . . I mean, thread.

Briefly, it strikes me that there are a few different issues being bandied about in this thread:

The wait: I love JC, but four years is nuts. Likewise, non-responsiveness is uncool. When someone has been waiting years after placing a deposit, and politely inquires about the status of their much delayed order, they deserve the courtesy of a response.

The same: Someone – I forgot who – opined that most other jacket makers can manufacturer the exact same jacket as JC. Respectfully, I disagree. Other jacket makers certainly can replicate the pattern and use high quality leather. That said, JC employs certain manufacturing and stitching methods that most other jacket manufacturers do not employ (and likely have little or no experience with). I have compared the details of JC’s jackets to other manufacturers and there are palpable differences. Thus, an identical pattern jacket made by another manufacturer might be an outstanding jacket, but it would not be “exactly the same.”

Better: Whether the manufacturing and stitching methods employed by JC are any better is an entirely different question for which there is no objective answer. Will JC’s jackets last longer than a well made jacket from a different high quality manufacturer? I seriously doubt it. Will JC’s jackets provide greater protection for a rider? Quite the opposite I suspect. Therefore, the benefits of JC’s manufacturing and stitching methods are subjective and entirely dependent on individual preferences. I personally hold his methods in high esteem. That said, I certainly understand why his methods would add no value for many/most.

I also enjoy the process of acquiring a bench-made, one-off product from an individual craftsman – there is an intangible associated with the process that stays with the product long after the purchase is completed.

Back to work . . . don’t know when I’ll be back. Bang on!

El Marro

Have been completely underwater preparing for trial since December. Hadn’t read the forum for ages, but I decided to pop in for a quick diversion. Absolutely had no intention of posting, but could not resist this crack . . . I mean, thread.

Briefly, it strikes me that there are a few different issues being bandied about in this thread:

The wait: I love JC, but four years is nuts. Likewise, non-responsiveness is uncool. When someone has been waiting years after placing a deposit, and politely inquires about the status of their much delayed order, they deserve the courtesy of a response.

The same: Someone – I forgot who – opined that most other jacket makers can manufacturer the exact same jacket as JC. Respectfully, I disagree. Other jacket makers certainly can replicate the pattern and use high quality leather. That said, JC employs certain manufacturing and stitching methods that most other jacket manufacturers do not employ (and likely have little or no experience with). I have compared the details of JC’s jackets to other manufacturers and there are palpable differences. Thus, an identical pattern jacket made by another manufacturer might be an outstanding jacket, but it would not be “exactly the same.”

Better: Whether the manufacturing and stitching methods employed by JC are any better is an entirely different question for which there is no objective answer. Will JC’s jackets last longer than a well made jacket from a different high quality manufacturer? I seriously doubt it. Will JC’s jackets provide greater protection for a rider? Quite the opposite I suspect. Therefore, the benefits of JC’s manufacturing and stitching methods are subjective and entirely dependent on individual preferences. I personally hold his methods in high esteem. That said, I certainly understand why his methods would add no value for many/most.

I also enjoy the process of acquiring a bench-made, one-off product from an individual craftsman – there is an intangible associated with the process that stays with the product long after the purchase is completed.

Back to work . . . don’t know when I’ll be back. Bang on!
Great to see you back here man!

Reactions: A-1

CBI

One Too Many
I have known John as a customer for over 10 years. Sated purchasing those early test jackets for $350 each!!!! We had lots of comms in the pre and early Good Wear years. He is a super guy and if there are issues with wait time, its due to significant personal things to get over/work around. I have always had great comms. In more recent years, it can take him longer to respond but I know that when I sent an email. Back in the early years of GW (10 years ago) one could "collect" them and literally pass them on without really loosing any $ or at a slight loss as there was a huge demand. My crazy intent was to rarely keep one for the long haul but to enjoy and pass on. As prices moved up, this changed. His "test" samples were my size so it was fun.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I have and ANJ-4 made to order from John and another bought slightly used. As for my order it took over 2 years and was quite expensive but I love the jacket. It fits like a glove and the detail is amazing. Only an individual knows their tolerance for delay and how much they're willing to pay for the intangible quality of a GW product. I ordered, I waited, I'm satisfied.

Worf

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Kudos to Worf. I knew there must be more GW owners out there who ordered, waited, and kept their jackets.

@CBI, so, 10 years ago, John replied to emails quickly and his jackets were $350?
Hilarious! Ha ha ha ha ha!
You sure know how to reassure a guy who is waiting for 4 years for his $2000 jacket and can't get an email reply!
That's comedy gold right there!

Reactions: MET

CBI

One Too Many
BigJ - as usual your text's deserve no response.

Moderators - I suggest you watch this thread carefully as I will bet it will need to be locked down soon.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@CBI, I'm sorry you seem to find personal intent to offend in every comment I make, but I can hardly be responsible for your lack of a sense of irony now can I?
You're talking about how easy, cheap, and straightforward it was for you to get GW jackets to a bunch of guys who are finding difficult, expensive, and stressful.
Honestly, do you not see why that is funny to me?
And again, I advise you to go back and read my posts on this thread, all the ones where I say 'John is a nice guy and he makes nice jackets'.
I'm getting pretty tired of people projecting their anger onto my harmless comments.

767fo

One of the Regulars
When I started this thread it was about a style of jacket John makes. The moderators should delete every post that has nothing to do with this thread.

El Marro

I think that this thread has actually been useful and constructive, with a few exceptions, for those of us who are on the wat list and have been wondering to ourselves just how long that wait is going to be!
As far as the fact that this thread has wandered a bit off topic, I think that is par for the course around here.
Carlos, I'm glad that you heard back from John and have decided to stick it out. Please let us know what your time finally does come, because I am right behind you!

767fo

One of the Regulars
Handy, I will get right on that. Your imperial looks great but has nothing to do with this thread. Just saying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner