Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GoodWill Auctions

Shirin

A-List Customer
I had no idea that Goodwill had an auction site. and there's a treasure trove of Vintage clothing and such. I think I found a new hangout besides eBay!
www.shopgoodwill.com
You would go to womens clothing, and in that dept click on Vintage.:)

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
Thanks for posting about this! I remember I stumbled on the site last year, and then forgot about it (how could I?!). Off to waste a little time browsing... lol!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Its incredibly hit or miss, and often you have to pick med-large items up. But like all Goodwill, if you can find some good stuff, it can be better than eBay :)

LD

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
Its incredibly hit or miss, and often you have to pick med-large items up. But like all Goodwill, if you can find some good stuff, it can be better than eBay :)

Don't you think the hit or miss aspect makes it just a little more thrilling than the average auction? :eek: Unless, of course, you wind up with a miss...

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
Although the "what you see is what you get" thing can be a good thing. I've noticed on Ebay that the more prettied up things tend to go for more. So if you're a bargain hunter, I dare say the digging and somewhat bad quality pictures of Goodwill could make it a good place to find a treasure for cheap. ;)

Foofoogal

Banned
I was thrilled when I first ran across the site a few years back. Then I got totally ripped off. I totally do support Goodwill but be aware. A lot of fake glass was my experience. Ended up in my recycling back to my local Goodwill. lol
The site has or had items from alot of different Goodwills across the country so I imagine the descriptions are only as good as the person seperating the items.
Alot of people sell online that are housebound (sick) and need funds so it is a toss up to me.

Shirin

A-List Customer
Well that puts a different perspective on it. I also noticed the shipping charges are really high, and there is one seller that's charging a 5% handling fee! Umm.....I think I'll take a ride back over to eBay.

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
I just don't understand how people can just give away their vintage clothing. It makes me sad... That people in this world have given up breathtaking items for boring crap.

Sorry about my short rant. I needed that. *sigh* I just get so angry when I see things like that going to a goodwill. Even if it benefits us.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
The secret is out!

This is one of my favorite sites to shop! I've been shopping on there for years ....I shop there more then I do on Ebay! This is the site I found my amazing Cole of California dress on! It can be hit or miss, the selection and variety is much smaller then ebay. The sad thing is people know about the site now and prices can go higher on vintage items then on ebay.

Here are some of my Goodwill favorite finds!

876415329_225a9c2105.jpg

841351277_775ed13d0a.jpg

2614790084_4d4fc18034.jpg

3048231221_ddb3b2713c.jpg

3603668640_18d266c51f.jpg

swim1.jpg

swim2-1.jpg

Oh that's not even the half of the wonderful vintage things I have found on the GW site over the last 6 years! I will also say from my own experiences, I have never had a bad experience with GW. But let me say I have had way to many bad experiences on Ebay!

epr25

Practically Family
I haven't had much luck with shop goodwill. The prices are always way higher then they are on ebay. And check the shipping on things. I had to pay close to $15 for shipping on a day dress. Learned my lesson there.

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
MaryDeluxe- your finds are amazing hun.

Finally checked out the site and the shipping was rediculous. I hate ebay but ebay still seems alot cheaper to me. So IDK. I'm still on the fence with this one.[huh]

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
All I will say is...
  1. You have to know how to search for things
  2. Some stores have higher shipping then others
  3. Competition has gotten worse now that more people know about the site
  4. I only buy things on there if I can get it for cheap. Then if I don't like it or it doesn't fit, I can resale it for more then what I bought it for. I've never been able to do that with things off of Ebay. [huh]

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
exquisitebones said:
lol there is a dealer or something buying ALL of the vintage dresses rightnow. same screen name on all of them.

Yeah, I noticed the dealers have been going crazy over there on the goodwill site and driving up the prices! :eusa_doh: Just from speaking to the vintage shop owners I know, it's getting harder and harder to find things, the competition is fierce, and the demand for vintage is outrageous.

Foofoogal

Banned
Goodwill is a much needed organization. I am glad they are getting more exposure. Good vintage is much harder to find and prices will go up.
To me the greatest allure is the quality of alot of it, especially clothing.
As more and more people are aware of this supply and demand will take over.
http://www.sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

maybe the FL dealers are seeing this thread and going shopping. lol
Not me as I have plenty to move right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay