Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gorgeous '30s-'40s 3-piece Tuxedo, 38-40

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
This is pretty much my dream tuxedo, and I'm heartbroken it doesn't fit me. But it's just too small, and nothing will change that. So I'm offering it up for sale. It's from the late '30s or '40s, judging by the style and construction. Probably from the '40s, given the lapel width. But there are no union tags or anything else to date it definitively.

It's a single-breasted, one-button, peak-lapel jacket with grosgrain facings. Fabric is a typically heavy weight black wool with a flannel-y, fuzzy finish. The construction quality is superb, with fully canvassed fronts, hand-padded lapels (I believe), hand-stitched buttonholes, and handstitching throughout the jacket. It has flap pockets (they're tucked in for the picture, as they ought to be) and no vent in the back. It has what tailors call a "link front", such that it can be buttoned normally or as shown, with the facings kissing. The link front, I think, allows for a more symmetrical look and a nicer roll to the lapels. It's quarter lined, with very well-finished taped seams inside. One slit breast pocket. Lovely waisted shape and the fit that is so characteristic of vintage suits, with high armholes, high-rise, full-cut trousers, and all the rest.

Also, which makes this one more rare, it has a matching backless grosgrain vest with shawl lapels, holes for waistcoat studs, and a tab to button to the trousers to prevent it riding up. The vest has a label inside that says "Graves Cox & Co. Established 1881." It's the only label on any of the pieces. The vest had the MOP Hickock studs on it when I got the tuxedo, and I'll include them for free.

The pants have two forward pleats, on-seam side pockets, two rear hip pockets, suspender buttons on the outside, etc. The back center waist has a piece that has been let in which may or may not be original; in any case it matches the fabric of the rest of the trousers perfectly.

If the styling of this dinner jacket isn't good enough, the condition is the kicker. It's flawless. No holes, tears, rips, stains, smells, or moth damage of any kind. It's clean and has had a good brushing, but I haven't had it dry cleaned. I'll leave that up to you if you want to do so.

Size is roughly 38-40R. I'm normally a 42R and I can wear it, but not comfortably.

Jacket
Chest: 42"
Waist: 38"
Shoulders: 18 3/4"
Length: 29 1/4"

Trousers
Waist: 35"
Outseam: 42"
Inseam: 30"
Rise: 12"
Knee circumference: 22.5"
Cuff: 19.5"

I'm asking $100 shipped anywhere in the continental US. Shipping elsewhere will be more. Please PM me if you have any questions or are interested.

DSC00727.jpg
DSC00728.jpg
DSC00729.jpg
DSC00730.jpg
DSC00731.jpg
DSC00732.jpg
DSC00733.jpg
DSC00734.jpg
DSC00736.jpg
DSC00737.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately the trousers won't fit me at all, though the jacket would be a perfect fit.

Hopefully someone else will snatch this up!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Orgetorix said:
There's a good two inches to let the hems down, if that's what worries you. Maybe even two and a quarter!

That and the waist. I'm a 32x32.
But that price...it's almost too hard to pass up. Too bad I'm a poor college graduate. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner