Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got blocked by Simmons Bilt Instagram because my comment

Skinny jeans turn people (men and women) into upside down onions.
IMG_5328.JPG
IMG_5329.JPG

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think models can just about get away with them, but for the vast majority, they look like bloated, denim-coated sausages. Even if they're not skin tight, heavily tapered jeans are sorely lacking in character. It's a development that makes me think companies are trying reduce the cost of manufacturing by keep things slim and using the minimum of fabric necessary.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I think some rockstars can get away with it because everything about them is so over the top and ridiculous. Plus, they're all so skinny from drugs and such.

I wear slimmer jeans with sneakers, but even those fit over my engineers.

What do you guys define as straight leg? Most jeans that are classified as straight still do have a slight taper in some way.

I think some rockstars can get away with it because everything about them is so over the top and ridiculous. Plus, they're all so skinny from drugs and such.

I wear slimmer jeans with sneakers, but even those fit over my engineers.

What do you guys define as straight leg? Most jeans that are classified as straight still do have a slight taper in some way.
For me it's knee to hem at the same #. Anything else is tapered by definition. I think that being skinny doesn't necessarily make the look any better. I mean an hour glass lady can make it look good but on a guy. You need this build:
IMG_5330.JPG

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
For me it's knee to hem at the same #. Anything else is tapered by definition. I think that being skinny doesn't necessarily make the look any better. I mean an hour glass lady can make it look good but on a guy. You need this build:
View attachment 81336
I think the real reason it "works" is because so many of them are basically in costume anyway.

That's why I asked. Most straight fit jeans these days do have a very slight taper.

A slight taper is fine. I have a pair of some brand that does and I like them for certain shoes. Bells aren't my thing since high school, but some dudes rock them - as do women.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't have an issue with a bit of a taper (or as much taper even as the Levi 501ct does. I even have a pair or two of the J Crew Traveler jeans which are a slim fit, it's the skinny fit that are skin tight or even worse, the skin tights leg fit with the baggy ass that hangs like a dirty diaper.....

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I don't have an issue with a bit of a taper (or as much taper even as the Levi 501ct does. I even have a pair or two of the J Crew Traveler jeans which are a slim fit, it's the skinny fit that are skin tight or even worse, the skin tights leg fit with the baggy ass that hangs like a dirty diaper.....
Ooooh yeah that's bad. My least favorite is the Kanye look- buying skinny jeans and sagging them like crazy. WTF?!

@ButteMT61 Amen to that. It was pointless, rude, and ignorant all at the same time.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@ProteinNerd, Dudewuttheheck,

Me too. I've got a couple of pairs of GAP jeans my wife bought me a couple of years ago when she was in GAP during a sale. They are slightly tapered and slimmer than any jeans I would buy, but they look ok with sneakers, a white t-shirt, and a green nylon fight jacket.
Unfortunately my eldest daughter wears skinny jeans with sneakers, a white t-shirt, and her fashion green nylon flight jacket inspired jacket. She see's me, puffs out her cheeks, rolls her eyes, and rushes back to her room to change, muttering some nonsense about how I'm trying to dress 'too young for my age' and how I'm 'embarrassing her' and 'we can't go out like this because we look like a failed attempt at a his-and-hers matching look'.
I remind her that my jacket cost more than everything she's wearing, all of which I paid for anyway.
Kids!

Woodyear

Familiar Face
LOL. New hipster steps into a vintage clothing/lifestyle community and posts this tripe.
Get out of your shallow fishtank there. Hell, try a Miller in a country bar and let them know how much you hate their jeans.

Slow it down there bud, I'm neither a hipster nor do I wear skinny jeans. I've also been lurking these forums since 2010, though I've just finally started posting so really I'm not as much of an interloper as you seem to be implying.

I've already said it earlier in this thread I only wear 501cts and before that 511s. But I like both tapered from the knee down because otherwise they engulf shoes and look plain weird to people who were born in or after the 80s.

As far as the ridiculous pictures of skinny jeans being posted of course that looks awful, those are comical memes and not a representation of how most normal guys in their early thirties dress. One could similarly post comical pictures of boot cut jeans on some weird retiree just for effect

IMG_0091.JPG

As opposed to the 501cts I was talking about which to my eye simply look clean and fitted, which is I think the effect most of the people on this forum are generally after

501cts
IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

No offense to dad jeans guys, didn't mean to offend anyone and indeed I have a dad who I love dearly, but times do change and so do jeans.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
@ProteinNerd, Dudewuttheheck,

Me too. I've got a couple of pairs of GAP jeans my wife bought me a couple of years ago when she was in GAP during a sale. They are slightly tapered and slimmer than any jeans I would buy, but they look ok with sneakers, a white t-shirt, and a green nylon fight jacket.
Unfortunately my eldest daughter wears skinny jeans with sneakers, a white t-shirt, and her fashion green nylon flight jacket inspired jacket. She see's me, puffs out her cheeks, rolls her eyes, and rushes back to her room to change, muttering some nonsense about how I'm trying to dress 'too young for my age' and how I'm 'embarrassing her' and 'we can't go out like this because we look like a failed attempt at a his-and-hers matching look'.
I remind her that my jacket cost more than everything she's wearing, all of which I paid for anyway.
Kids!
Haha maybe you should point out all the dads that are dressed so poorly.

My jeans have been getting wider/more classic fitting as I've gotten older, but I still don't want anything too loose of baggy. I'm not very tall. I don't need to look wider than I am.
These are my widest jeans now and still have a very minor taper. It's probably my favorite fit to date.
2OZUnIg.jpg

Woodyear

Familiar Face

My jeans have been getting wider/more classic fitting as I've gotten older, but I still don't want anything too loose of baggy. I'm not very tall. I don't need to look wider than I am.
These are my widest jeans now and still have a very minor taper. It's probably my favorite fit to date.
2OZUnIg.jpg

You've got a cool look, you easily pull off the straight leg jeans because your whole style has a great retro vibe. Jeans such as these would only really look good within that retro context, where they aren't trying to be current but instead are paying homage in a way. The way you rock that grizzly is second to NONE.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Woodyear,

I was a little sympathetic until you wrote this;
No offense to dad jeans guys, didn't mean to offend anyone and indeed I have a dad who I love dearly, but times do change and so do jeans.

A backhanded compliment is a cowards way to insult. What you really mean, is that because we don't agree with you about skinny jeans, you think our vintage denim and classic cuts make us all middle aged men who don't know how to dress.

That's fine, but one day you'll be 45, and 20 somethings will laugh in your face at your skinny jeans in exactly the same way as I do now.

So, yeah, keep up the posts, I'm sure I'm not the only one laughing my ass off at you.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
@Woodyear,

I was a little sympathetic until you wrote this;

A backhanded compliment is a cowards way to insult. What you really mean, is that because we don't agree with you about skinny jeans, you think our vintage denim and classic cuts make us all middle aged men who don't know how to dress.

That's fine, but one day you'll be 45, and 20 somethings will laugh in your face at your skinny jeans in exactly the same way as I do now.

So, yeah, keep up the posts, I'm sure I'm not the only one laughing my ass off at you.
Agreed. The term "dad jeans" has been completely bastardized. Straight fit jeans are not dad jeans automatically. Dad jeans are jeans that literally do not fit properly. They are several sizes too large, washed out to a ridiculous degree, and generally poor quality as well. They need both of the first two qualities to be dad jeans. Straight fit jeans do not fit into either, let alone one unless they are worn far too large.

I have seen quite a lot of straight fit jeans on guys on this forum and I think only once did I see actual dad jeans. There are tons of guys that are around my age that are really into more vintage fits these days. I didn't used to be, but I'm definitely leaning that way right now.

Well... I like "skinny" jeans. Like on the middle pic Woodyear posted. And I love boot cut jeans as well, but only on boots. So I dunno. I agree that everyone should avoid wearing jeans that look like this:
img_0091-jpg.81344

2OZUnIg.jpg

A lot of guys on those old photos used to wear jeans like that. The good kind of straight cut. And the way you combine it with the retro details, you've got the look nailed.

zebedee

One Too Many
I have trouble with jeans no matter what type they are- I am pretty much restricted to a regular cut. The slightest taper and jeans get caught on the calves. If I were to attempt to wear skinny jeans (I wouldn't), I'd probably have to cut them off.

After living overseas for a very long time (maybe too long), the first time I went back to the UK and saw skinny jeans on a man I thought he was terminally ill and was wasting away until I worked out that it was a fashion. Then there were phrases such as 'lumbersexual' and 'metrosexual' as well as 'mansplaining' on later visits back. I wasn't irritated- I thought these things were absolutely hilarious and just reaffirm the Sontag notion that the best camp is lethally serious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart