Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

grammy hat??

bloc

One of the Regulars
Pharrell often wears a hat, he wears lots of different styles, he's a great ambassador for hat wearing, I'd say. The Grammy hat was interesting, a bit of fun and I think he pulled it off..... But not as well as Alan!

image.jpg

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
I just got around to looking for this thread.

I knew there would be a discussion on Fedora Lounge about the hat Pharrel wore at the Grammys. However, I was surprised by so many derogatory comments by so many posters. Yeah, I can see that many would not want to wear that particular hat the way it was bashed.

But if you look at the campaign hat thread you will find dozens of photos, taken between the mid 1800's through the early 1900's, of men wearing campaign hats with bashes not that far from Pharrel's hat. Clearly, the men of yore took some pleasure in developing that time-worn, time-tested bash with their flat brimmed campaign hats. I actually think that is very cool.

I have a number of fedoras and had been thinking about finding a good campaign hat. I was, however, a little fearful of the statement some might interpret when they see the hat. I expected lots of Smokey the Bear jokes. Think about it. How do you avoid the Smokey the Bear jokes - you stay away from the Montana Peak, just like Pharrel did.

It's funny, just a few years ago, most people (in the US anyway) would find wearing a classic fedora silly. I started wearing them in early 2007, and I did not see many others doing so then - even in major cities in the US and Europe. Today, they are common place and accepted. I live and work in Seattle, where just 5 years ago, 99% of men would only consider wearing a baseball cap or stocking cap if they were going to don a hat. Today, I bet I see 20% of men are wearing hats Downtown during the work day. A dramatic change.

Given the recent history that those of us that love hats endured - funny looks and even ridicule - I would like to see our community embrace style experiments such as Pharrel's. Heck, his hat style is not even new - the roughriders hats were not too far off from what we saw at the Grammys. I say kudos to Pharrel for promoting hats - which I think all of us at this forum love.

Last edited:
Oh really..? Just a campaign hat..roughrider of yesteryear with only a different bash..? What I see is a quite cartoonish oversized campaign style short brimmed version purposely made for ridiculous effect. The classic over exaggerated attempt to emphasize that yet I still be so cool. :cool:[huh]
HD

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
No, the bash was actualy not even so different:

tumblr_m3eq5qdvah1qkgs51o1_500.jpg

The effect of his actions was indeed substantial - and some would very likely call it ridiculous.

Attachments

• tumblr_m3eq5qdvah1qkgs51o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_m3eq5qdvah1qkgs51o1_500.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 186

fedoracentric

Banned
Yes, that Grammy hat is in no way like a "campaign hat." It is three times the size of a regular hat, made that way on purpose. As my photo shows earlier in the thread, the inside is so large that the sweatband has to be a big, puffy, pad so that the hat won't slip down and cover the wearer's whole head. The hat is so large that without the special padded sweatband, even a size 8 hat wearer would have his head completely covered by the thing.

"Just like a campaign hat," it ain't.

...As my photo shows earlier in the thread, the inside is so large that the sweatband has to be a big, puffy, pad so that the hat won't slip down and cover the wearer's whole head. The hat is so large that without the special padded sweatband, even a size 8 hat wearer would have his head completely covered by the thing...
Thank you for posting that photo, by the way. I was wondering how he was able to keep such an obviously oversized hat from falling down over his face.

pharrells-hat-grammy-awards-ftr-1024x640.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I can't believe that there is any argument about whether the hat is overly tall and oversized...or not..compared to a normal sized campaign style hat. It should be quite obvious. [huh] Even 'bashed' in the normal campaign style it would still look quite silly.
HD

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I can't believe that there is any argument about whether the hat is overly tall and oversized...or not..compared to a normal sized campaign style hat.

I don't see any discussion on the size of the hat. Some have stated that they have seen just as silly bashes on campaign hats in vintage pictures - while others have stated that they find any campaign hat a little silly. I don't see any members claiming that the hat was not oversized.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Well, he's at it again.... This time performing at the Grammy's tribute to the Beatles....
Guess there's no accounting for style or taste.... But, Pharrell's hat just looks ridiculous to me....

Pharrell beatles-tribute-6.jpg

Last edited:
Well, he's at it again.... This time performing at the Grammy's tribute to the Beatles....
Guess there's no accounting for style or taste.... But, Pharrell's hat just looks ridiculous to me....
He kinda' looks like a little boy playing "dress up" with one of daddy's hats. It's not a look I'd care to attempt, but to each his (or her) own.

Landman

One Too Many
I've never understood why somebody would want to intentionally distress a new hat. I can understand doing it for a role in a movie or a photo shoot but just to have an old looking hat doesn't make sense to me. In my opinion, an old hat with some character to it is very cool but not one that was intentionally distressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran