Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grateful for The Fedora Lounge

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe others have had a similar experience. [huh]

I had an opportunity to perform some music at a Veteran's Administration nursing home which took place today.I , quite frankly, did not know how to approach this. I needed to choose the music very carefully. I also wanted create an atmosphere of a lounge or piano bar for these elderly sick people.

I read many, many posts and contacted a fellow lounger who I was hoping would help.

This person treated me with patience and kindness. They treated the project in a loving manner and spent a great deal of time and effort in helping me choose an appropriate play list and helping me dress for the event.

Today the event took place. I could not believe how well the music was received. These very sick people were happy. I told them about the help I received from the Lounger and dedicated a song to that person. This person's efforts was the essence of what made these people happy; I just followed the script.

This person is now permanent part of my life long journey into music.

I came to The Fedora Lounge to look for a hat; what I found was a fellowship.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
:) I agree this place has a lot of cool people in it. I was looking for a hat too and i stumbled upon this place. Ive learned a few things here and there in the short time that ive been here.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
I've also found a sense of community here that is hard to find in real life, as so many of us are known to friends and family as vintage-loving eccentrics. I love the internet for connecting you to people who are on the same page, for sharing information, and for fun talks with like-minded folks. I feel fortunate to have found this place.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Compared to CBs initial posting, this is very trivial...but germane nonetheless.

I'm 55....I've always been interested in the details of traditional men's attire. I've carried on through the wasteland of the 1960s, and '70s, etc., etc. In all that time, I've had one person I'd call a friend who knew what I was talking about...and, fortunately, was interested as well. For the rest, it's been...just me, doing my thing.

And then, about 2 months ago, I stumbled in off the street. Suddenly there were LOTS of people with the same interest...discussing the merits of cravat knots, button placement, brim widths, and all sorts of other (to the rest of the world)...quite arcane stuff.

But one of the peculiar things about the FL is...the great breadth of interests that have somehow gravitated here; I've tried to explain it to my wife and a few other folks...I don't have to explain it to all of you. But between hatmakers, hat fetishists, reenactors, leather jacket queens, collectors with a capital "C", religious maniacs, blues fans, radio geeks.....uh, should I stop now? I'm just getting going....there's something for everyone (that includes fistfights, I might add :rolleyes: )...and it all works somehow. I couldn't say what the "main idea" here is...but I can say that there's some kind of penumbra of sympathy between those who find the place congenial, and it has led (even in my short tenure) to some VERY wide-ranging discussions that have little to do with any of the "core concepts."

Are we all strange wanderers who have finally found a cybernetic link? Does it takes one to know one work across a monitor screen?

It seems it does. I'm grateful.

Elizabeth.F

Familiar Face
I'm very grateful for having found the Fedora Lounge. I found it when I was just starting to dress retro (and not really getting much encouragement) and it was such a tremendous support when it came to leaving the house for the first time with pincurled hair and nylons!

olive bleu

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
All of the above.

including? :

"it was such a tremendous support when it came to leaving the house for the first time with pincurled hair and nylons!":whistling

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I concur

You said it CB & quite eloquently I may add, there is a fellowship of like-minded individuals on here that are very friendly and helpful. I came on here in search of a local establishment to renovate my grandfathers old fedora & I have extrapolated much knowledge regarding what goes into creating what I thought was 'just a hat', needless to say I knew practically nothing on the subject, except for that it goes on top of the head.... I have garnered much since. There is a warm communal atmosphere that emulates from my screen whenever I visit, like walking into your favorite neighborhood watering hole, where everyone knows your name.

So CB, what was the set list? ;) sorry I wasn't around to be of assistance

----------------
Now playing: Eddie Fisher, Hugo Winterhalter & Orch. - Wish You Were Here
via FoxyTunes

----------------
Now playing: Billy Eckstine - My Foolish Heart
via FoxyTunes

----------------
Now playing: Bing Crosby & Gary Crosby - Moonlight Bay
via FoxyTunes

Carlisle Blues

Thank you Wil!!!! ;) ;) :) Here are the songs that I got to play; I had tons more. I had such a blast. It was acoustic guitar. Had about 50 people and others were coming in and out of the area. Then it turned in an SRO, much to surprise and delight.

Fly Me To The Moon

In The Still of The Night

The way You Look Tonight

Return To Sender

Only You

Moon River

Don’t Be Cruel

Stand By Me

Save The Last dance For Me

Can’t Help Falling in Love

Georgia On My Mind

Suspicious Minds

Kansas City

Wonderful World

Walk on By

Stormy Weather

Blue Moon

Close with Spanish Instrumental

Wil Tam

Practically Family
what a great set!

Carlisle Blues said:
Thank you Wil!!!! ;) ;) :) Here are the songs that I got to play; I had tons more. I had such a blast. It was acoustic guitar. Had about 50 people and others were coming in and out of the area. Then it turned in an SRO, much to surprise and delight.

Fly Me To The Moon

In The Still of The Night

The way You Look Tonight

Return To Sender

Only You

Moon River

Don’t Be Cruel

Stand By Me

Save The Last dance For Me

Can’t Help Falling in Love

Georgia On My Mind

Suspicious Minds

Kansas City

Wonderful World

Walk on By

Stormy Weather

Blue Moon

Close with Spanish Instrumental

you're quite welcome!

that's an awesome playlist, I know every cut on it too,

Ottmar Liebert is my favorite flamenco guitarist .. if you never heard his stuff you should check it out, highly recommended IMHO ;)

----------------
Now playing: Ottmar Liebert - Havana Club (The Latin Mix)
via FoxyTunes

Warbaby

One Too Many
I'll certainly add another voice of gratitude for the Fedora Lounge. I've been online since the early days of the web and never had the slightest interest in participating in any sort of listserve, forum or other social networking site. Now here I am, some 800-odd posts into the Lounge and there's rarely a day goes by that I don't drop in for a visit.

Carlisle Blues: Bravo for you - keep on playing for those old folks! My wife works at a nursing home and I know how much the residents appreciate a bit of entertainment they can relate to.

Carlisle Blues

Warbaby said:
I'll certainly add another voice of gratitude for the Fedora Lounge. I've been online since the early days of the web and never had the slightest interest in participating in any sort of listserve, forum or other social networking site. Now here I am, some 800-odd posts into the Lounge and there's rarely a day goes by that I don't drop in for a visit.

Carlisle Blues: Bravo for you - keep on playing for those old folks! My wife works at a nursing home and I know how much the residents appreciate a bit of entertainment they can relate to.

Thank you Warbaby. :D

I'm very new to the site, but have found many great people who are very like-minded. I really felt lost in a world that is so modern and me being oh so vintage. This place keeps me going each day and keeping on with my vintage furniture, clothes, hair, etc, etc. I would like to thank everyone who's been so kind here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner