Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grease

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
:cool: Don't know if this has already been posted, but have you seen that they are recasting the Broadway musical Grease? They are taking wannabes from New York, Chicago, and LA and having them try for the roles of Danny and Sandy. I believe it airs on NBC (poss ABC) at 8 pm eastern on Sunday Nights. I caught the first episode on Bravo at around 1 am Wednesday. It looks like it maybe pretty good. It was funny to watch the ones with no singing ability try to win a spot. I have never seen the musical but love the movie with John Travolta and Olivia Newton John. When I was part of a Country Line Dance Team, we would create our shows around different eras or themes, such as the 20-30s with Putting on the Ritz as our premier song and we did the 50s as the T Birds and Pink Ladies. We used Greased Lightning as our premier song and we coreographed a dance to the song using all the differnt dance moves from the movie. The men dressed in jeans and a blk T-shirt with the sleeves cut off and our hair slicked back. The ladies wore poodle skirts. It was a lot of fun being a T Bird. Does anyone have any thoughts on the play or the movie? Please share. The music is just great and I love the 50's flair. Long live the T Birds and I just love those Pink Ladies.:cool:

Gray Ghost a T Bird for life.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I've seen the commercials for this! Its like American Idol meets Grease, and I may be wrong but the audience also has a say in the selection, don't they?

I have only ever seen the movie, but I'd enjoy going to the live show. I almost went in Texas, mostly because I desperately wanted a Pink Ladies jacket!

RIZZO FOREVER.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I believe that the studio audience will have some say so as well. Sunday, they will do another hour and half show and then after that, it will be in 30 min installments.

Scotrace,
They do wear enough of that hair jelly to last a life time. No open flames should be allowed near them.lol

Gray Ghost

GOK

One Too Many
They seem to be doing this kind of thing all the time over here - televised casting and rehearsals. I can't comment on the quality of the programmes as I've never seen them. I've worked in theatre far too long to want to watch the process on television!!! lol

In answer to Gray's question, I love Grease!

I saw the film in the cinema when it was first released and thought it was quite fun. However, being the serious very-vintage teenager that I was back then, was not impressed by the costuming or the music! :eek: In later years however, when I'd learned to lighten up and appreciate things for what they were and not what I thought they ought to be (!!!), I loved it!

I've seen the stage show a few times now and must admit that I prefer it to the film (I've never seen Grease 2) but I think that's true of most musicals - they're generally much better when live.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Gray Ghost said:
Gray Ghost a T Bird for life.

I'm a Jet personally...:D

Grease is a great movie and I've loved it since I was a kid - ok, it's not exactly accurate but who cares? Good times are had by all!

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
JazzBaby said:
I'm a Jet personally...:D

Grease is a great movie and I've loved it since I was a kid - ok, it's not exactly accurate but who cares? Good times are had by all!

Nothing wrong with being a Jet. You are right about it not being exactly accurate but it is still fun. My wife and I are planning a Grease themed Sock Hop sometime soon. Should be alot of fun. We are always singing the songs from Grease at home. She is not a history fan and could actually care less about the Golden Era, but she does tolerate my love for it. She does have a love for the music of the 50s and she is getting more interested in that era. There is hope for her yet.lol

Gray Ghost

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
We useta call her Stack'd and Charming at my house...:rolleyes:

One of my favorite Unintentionally Funny New York Moments was walking along 6th Avenue and seeing a hot dog & kebab lunch cart topped with a big pink umbrella. Now various advertisers used to buy space on the umbrellas. This particular vendor, who undoubtedly had a middling command of English and a poor grasp of irony, was cooking away, griddle sizzling with street goodies, under an umbrella prominently marked:
Grease!

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I watched the tryouts in NY last Sunday and they had a good looking young couple that were dating for 2 years trying out to get the roles. They both stated that they would support the other if one of them did not win a slot. The guy won and the girl lost. The girl proceded to support her boyfriend by storming out and then breaking up with him. I guess she meant that she would support him hooking up with one of the other single Sandy wannabes at the Grease Academy by breaking up with him and setting him free. How sweet of her.:rage:

Gray Ghost

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Just wanted to chime in: I LOVE Grease (see my username, though she's not my favourite character :D). Even though it may not be popular with vintage purists - even I know that the clothes and hair are a bit off at times! - it is an awesome, awesome film. I like to think it was responsible for kicking off my love of the 50s, and however much that might dent my vintage credibility, I bet I'm not the only one around here! :p

I am THIS close to buying a Pink Ladies jacket. :D

Edward

Bartender
So Broadway is now getting these glorified advertising campaigns masquerading as televisual entertainment now, too? If they pan out like the UK, look forward to shows dominated by second rate, popularity-contest winners (the ones with the bestest sob stories), with superior performers missing out on parts to "him off the TV" because that will put bums on seats in the theatre.

They did a Grease one here - it was awful. I stopped watching in disgust when, in a despicably patronising act of tokenism, they chose a black girl for the final ten Sandys when it was blatantly obvious they were never going to cast her, what with the show being set in a US High School in 1959, prior to the end of segregated education. The kids they chose for the final ten otherwise, well, I was not impressed. Predominantly they seemed to be interested in tribute acts to Travolta and Olivia Newton John rather than actors to portray the characters. The resulting production was heavily skewed to being the film on stage, rather than the original show. It's always deeply disappoiting when that happens (it happens a lot with Rocky Horror too). If people want to see the film, they can stay at home and watch it on DVD. I go the the theatre to see something different, a fresh vision of the work and all that.

Scuse me being a misery......

I do love the film despite it's flaws. I actively loathe the BeeGees, and the theme song (Grease if the Word) is.... well, let's just say steam doth rise from off it. Such a shame they inserted that in favour of retaining the Rydell High school song, which was dropped. The drag race is a nice insertion for the film, where they were able to accommodate that. I liked the spikes on Leo's car - echoes of Ben Hur. I don't much mind that Travolta stole Kenickie's song. The costumes are, of course, dreadfully inaccurate for much of it, though only the dance scene is particularly glaring, with Travolta dressed not much differently than in Saturday Night Fever (great film, diabolical soundtrack). What I did really like about the costumes, though, were the boy's leather jackets. The most common mistake I see in photos of productions of the show are whole gangs of T-Birds all in identical Perfecto-style jackets. It seems to me much more realistic to have a mix of whatever jackets kids could get in those days. Sure, not all of the jacket in the film are period-accurate patterns, one or two are very Seventies, but that works far better for me in terms of the overall effect. It does mark Danny out as the obvious leader with his jacket, cooler and more rebellious than all the others. Even Kenickie, who comes the closest, isn't quite there: he has the look of the jacket, but his is brown, as memory serves.

Also:

1] Rizzo was infinitely sexier than Sandy.

2] Rizzo and Kenickie would have made it.

3] Danny and Sandy wouldn't last ten minutes in the real world.

Grease is certainly a whole lot of fun and I adore it, though Cry Baby is superior on all counts.

Oh wow.... that movie brings back a lot of memories....

My friends and I watched it so much that we memorized all the words lol

Tell me more, tell me more
Did you get very far?
Tell me more, tell me more
Like does he have a car?...
lol

The songs were memorable and catchy. One of the songs, You're The One That I Want inspired a song parody in Germany that became the Number 4 Top Single in that country.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?13537-youtube-addictions-and-delights/page9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy