Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GREAT ESCAPE type leather A-2 from Real McCoys (with pics)

Edward

Bartender
PADDY said:
Edward, features like side entry pockets and internal wallet pockets..etc, are all a modern high street feature, and alien to the original 30's/40's style of military A-2 (which was essentially a work-horse military flight jacket).

That makes sense, now I think about it... i guess at however many thousand feet you've got better places to put your hands (controls, guns...) than in a nice little pair of hand warmer holes!!

Also, remember that when the war for the Americans began in esentially 1942 (41 was basically over when Pearl Harbor was attacked in December), the country was still at the end of the Depression, so the lads were as thin as rakes and so the jackets mostly reflected that with a slim 'shirt like' cut (also a style of the times). But that's what really sets them apart now!! and they look 'so cool' for it.

I hadn't thought of that.... good point!

Horse Hide or goat were the main hides used. Two snap fastened pockets; knits on wrists and waist; throat hook; snap closures on the end of the collar; underarm hole vents...are all features you want in a 30's/40's look A-2.

When you say snap closers at the end of the collar.... you mean that clip it down to the front of the jacket (like on a Brando)? Mine has all the studs ready for the fluffy collar, and came with a zip in lining - I'm presuming that none of these were original features (mine seems to be a copy of the Schott modern civilian A2 rather than of an original per se).

At the top of WW2 Room (on the Lounge) there is a REFERENCE LIBRARY 1, Have a look in as all the main A-2 makers are listed with their websites.

When you are ready to pull the trigger, ASK US, and we'll help you make that informed decision to take 'one step beyond' into vintage coolness!

Thanks, I will do - thanks for answering my newbie queries too! I'm not sure TBH that I'll ever be in a position to pay out what they go for new, but eventually I might go for a nice used repro.... what I have is great for now with a sort of rockabilly look (makes a nice change from the mc sometimes) - it'll never be right for anyone who knows their stuff about the vintage look, but it's fine for what it is. :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just wearing the bits out of it right now!! :)

It's a keeper!!;)

DubowA-2001.jpg

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Sexy!

Wow, sure glad it was too big for me, how bout some pics of you sporting that beauty.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just rushed out and took a quick photo!

The things I do for you guys!!

Please ignore the rest of the kit!!Just about to head to the beach with the dogs!! (and you can't really dress up for that when you have muddy paws all over you!!:eek: [huh] )

Thanks gents, it's a truely good looking vintage'ish jacket.

DubowA-2017.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
(Q): Rectangular tag on the zip?...(answer)...

Feraud said:
Paddy, what is the rectangular tag hanging from the zipper?

The tag is a metal aerial 'Bomb Tag.' These were used to pull the pin out on the bomb fuses to arm them once on board the aircraft, prior to operations over enemy territories.

Often, aircrew would use the discarded tags to attach to their 'small zip pulls' to give them a better grip on their zips (bearing in mind, they were wearing bulky gloves at high altitudes, so needed something substantial to hold). They were also a way of 'dressing up' their jackets.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Smithy.

As far as repros go, it's one of the best I've handled actually. The other one I love is the RMJ Dubow in russet with pre-war Hookless zip.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
The things I do for you guys!!
Yeah, we know how you can't stand to pose for pix. We really have to beg ya ;)

Please ignore the rest of the kit!!
A flyer and shorts? Hey, why not, if you have the knees for it. (And the weather. We might have 2 or 3 days a year here like that, where it's sunny and crisp yet too early for deer ticks.)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Fletch!

Fletch said:
Yeah, we know how you can't stand to pose for pix. We really have to beg ya ;)

ha ha Fletch, nice one:eusa_clap Looks like I need to watch you Fletch as I see healthy competition in the 'modelling flight jackets' stakes from NYC!!;) Mmmm, can I handle the heat...? Well let's see you first in the GoodWear when it comes through!;)

Edward

Bartender
PADDY said:
The tag is a metal aerial 'Bomb Tag.' These were used to pull the pin out on the bomb fuses to arm them once on board the aircraft, prior to operations over enemy territories.

Often, aircrew would use the discarded tags to attach to their 'small zip pulls' to give them a better grip on their zips (bearing in mind, they were wearing bulky gloves at high altitudes, so needed something substantial to hold). They were also a way of 'dressing up' their jackets.

Just chanced across this since this thread is back again - what kind of size are those tags in reality? I see Aero do repros of them. I could be tempted once I get an A2, though I don't know that I'd want something especially big (can't tell proportion, your photos aren't showing up for me now).

Edward

Bartender
PADDY said:

Thanks, Paddy.... looks like a good size in proportion. (Wouldn't want something credit card sized on there!).... Just looked again at the Aero site - their repros are £15ea. Ouch! Might put that sort of money towards a nice pair of gloves instead!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk