Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Movie Soundtracks

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
And where's the love for Bernard Herrmann?!?

Citizen Kane, Jane Eyre, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Vertigo, North By Northwest, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Psycho, Jason and the Argonauts, Farenheit 451, and many others. (Not to mention a bunch of early Twilight Zones!)

I love MANY wonderful film composers, but Herrmann is definitely my favorite!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
And where's the love for Bernard Herrmann?!?

There's a place reserved for him at our dinner table, should he be so volatile as to come back. I love his JOY IN THE MORNING score, and NORTH BY NORTHWEST gets heavy rotation.

Now, where's the love for Bronislau Kaper???

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
The Godfather - Nino Rota

The Rocketeer - James Horner

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Michael Kamen

Memphis Belle - George Fenton

Pirates Of The Caribbean - Klaus Badelt

Quigley Down Under - Basil Poledouris

Crossfire Trail - Eric Colvin

Monte Walsh - Eric Colvin

Tom Selleck seems to get movies with really good soundtracks...

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
"The Third Man," come on people. :)

The swinging jazz soundtrack of "A Touch of Evil."

Kubrick's use of "The Blue Danube Waltz" in "2001:..."

"Lawrence of Arabia." "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

And for pure fun, "Highlander," "Pulp Fiction," & "The Aviator."

Michael Nyman's work on "The Libertine" was inspired.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
Also i love Henry Mancini, who wrote the music for "The Pink Panther" and the song "Moon River" for the film "Breakfast at Tiffany's " plus many others :eusa_clap OMG!!!!!!! :D

Yes, I've been known to go on and on about him...I've mentioned over at the "The 1960s: Decade of Transition" thread how much his music affects me; he's one of the best.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Sefton said:

"Dirty Harry" by Lalo Schifferin

Ever notice the similarity between the rising vocal chorus in Led Zeppelin's 'IMMIGRANT SONG' and the incidental music in that movie? [huh]

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Story said:
Ever notice the similarity between the rising vocal chorus in Led Zeppelin's 'IMMIGRANT SONG' and the incidental music in that movie? [huh]

That would be the second Dirty Harry movie, MAGNUM FORCE with the high-pitched wailing. BTW, all five of the Dirty Harry scores are out on CD. I haven't brought myself to buy THE DEAD POOL yet; it's just so 1980s...

Naphtali

Practically Family
Has anyone mentioned John Addison's wonderful music in "Tom Jones" (1963)? Was it harpsichord or clavichord used for the jaunty music?

Or Victor Young's score for "The Quiet Man" (1952)? Schmaltzy, sentimental melodies for a sentimental story.
Three of my favorite "feel good" motion pictures are enhanced because of sound tracks --
"When Harry Met Sally" (1989), "Sleepless in Seattle" (1993), both with music by Marc Shaiman, and "Return to Me" (1999). These illustrate my preference for "the standards."
I must also mention "Galaxy Quest" (2000), the motion picture Star Drek wanted to be.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Mancini truly captured very soul of the "heart" .

Yes he did, he was a great composer!

I mentioned above the soundtrack for the movie "The Wrath of God", what I meant was Ennio Morricone's soundtrack for the 1986 film "The Mission" with Robert de Niro and Jeremy Irons. :) Beautiful, haunting music!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
I mentioned above the soundtrack for the movie "The Wrath of God", what I meant was Ennio Morricone's soundtrack for the 1986 film "The Mission" with Robert de Niro and Jeremy Irons. :) Beautiful, haunting music!

I happen to LOVE Lalo Schifrin's score for the 1972 Robert Mitchum shoot 'em up, The Wrath of God!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Nathan Dodge said:
I happen to LOVE Lalo Schifrin's score for the 1972 Robert Mitchum shoot 'em up, The Wrath of God!

Is that another movie "The Wrath of God"? the one that i mean is "Aguirre,The Wrath of God" with Klaus Kinski, the one directed by Werner Herzog
OMG,I better stop cause the more i explain, the worse it gets :confused: ----lol

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
Is that another movie "The Wrath of God"? the one that i mean is "Aguirre,The Wrath of God" with Klaus Kinski, the one directed by Werner Herzog
OMG,I better stop cause the more i explain, the worse it gets :confused: ----lol

H "Aguirre,The Wrath of God" was scored by Popol Vuh ;) :)

2001753604040094780_rs.jpg

German title:Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes[huh]

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Has anyone ever watched a film sans soundtrack? Music gets short shrift.

No wonder I hated THE CHINA SYNDROME! ;)

I've met classic movie buffs who pay the strictestr attention to dialogue, direction, cinematography, art direction, etc. but absolutely ignore the music score, unless it's chock full of pop songs or happens to be so awful as to be distracting! Henry Mancini (there's that man again!) wrote a memoir called Did They Mention the Music? and Earle Hagen one titled Memoirs of a ]Famous Composer Nobody Ever Heard Of. Those book titles alone demonstrate the film composer's lot.

The fact that millions of people love the movies yet despise, ignore, or remain oblivious to the music baffles me. Maybe it's the fact that orchestral underscore "sounds too classical" for the masses to enjoy, as most people prefer "songtracks" and two and a half minute tunes. Is it conditioning by pop music? Who knows? I do know that film score fans are a small, but dedicated lot and sometimes I know a film more by who composed its score than I know who directed it!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
HadleyH said:

The movie I'm talking about has a Lalo Schifrin score, and is not the same film. Try out the sound samples! BTW, I've yet to see the movie and didn't know it even existed until a few years ago!

That Kinski film looks interesting! Herzog is always worthwhile...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21