Great Movie Soundtracks

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Son_of_Atropos, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Down2BDapper

Down2BDapper Familiar Face

2. Jerekson

Jerekson One Too Many

I've also noticed that one of his short motifs from Coccoon is almost identically replicated in Legends of the Fall. Peculiar, but I guess he has his own reasons for it.

It's definitely not a case of unoriginality, at any rate.

3. Steve

Steve Practically Family

4. Forrestal

Forrestal One of the Regulars

One of my favorites is the long forgotten soundtrack to The Adventures of Mark Twain by Max Steiner.
    Regards,
    Forrestal

5. OddSteve

OddSteve Familiar Face

6. Anthony K

Anthony K Familiar Face

Some of my favorites:

Mulholland Dr. (not all of it, but there is some great moody noir pieces on it)

Ken Burn's The Civil War

The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

3:10 To Yuma

Public Enemies

The Thomas Crown Affair

Braveheart

The Last Of The Mohicans

What Women Want

Atonement

Pride and Prejudice

Master and Commander: The Far Side of The World

The Atlantic Realm (soundtrack for an old 80's BBC nature series by Clannad)

Clannad - Themes (consists of various songs from various films, it's where I found out about The Atlantic Realm)

The Chieftens - Film Cuts (contains various songs from various films - including music from the wonder 1990 Treasure Island)

The Company

Kingdom of Heaven

The Shadow

I know there are more that I like, I have to go looking through my collection.

7. LouieGee

LouieGee New in Town

The entire score for 'Chariots of Fire' by Vangelis. The opening scene is an absolute classic.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-7Vu7cqB20&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-7Vu7cqB20&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

There's also another scene where the Americans are training which is also fantastic - and strangely enough isn't on the soundtrack...

8. Anthony, IIRC Clannad was James Horner's choice for the Irish-flavor musical section of Patriot Games.

Throwing in the DVD last night reminded me about Bruce Broughton's score for Tombstone, too--a great blend of the romantic and the tense, the critics are right about it being reminiscent of Aaron Copland's work.

Miss Louie, that's the way it frequently works--half the good stuff either gets left on the cutting-room floor in favor of crappy chart-bait (read: many Bond scores, Apollo 13, The Punisher) or outright never released except as bootleg (like Flight of the Intruder).

Which tells you something about either the quality or the clout of the composer: when John Williams produces one of his scores and sets the tracklist, everyone else gets out of the way because he's got two of Hollywood's King Kongs backing him in Lucas and Spielberg, and Broughton just got an okay for an expanded rerelease on Tombstone more recently.

I still wanna know why they can't get it together and release a disc of John Dickson's instrumentals from Burn Notice...
    ----------------
    Now playing: John Williams - The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)
    via FoxyTunes

9. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog A-List Customer

Lalo Schifrin's organic mixture of blending Asian, Latin, and African influences with West-Coast based Jazz, resulted in some quite spectacular movie scores.

My favs include....
    The Cincinnati Kid (1965)
    Cool Hand Like (1967)
    Bullitt (1968)
    Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Dirty Harry (1971)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4OHvvSrmC0

[​IMG]
    It's amazing how many films Schifrin has scored.
    http://dougpayne.com/lslfilm.htm

10. Speaking of...

How could we leave out his work on Mission: Impossible?

11. LouieGee

LouieGee New in Town

Absolutely; I completely agree. It is such a shame that original compositions get dropped in favour of chart hits. That's good news about Tombstone though - another of my favourite films. :)

12. Hawk_Eye

Hawk_Eye One of the Regulars

Remember the 2002 re-make of "The Time Machine"? The film itself was savaged pretty badly by critics, (I didnt think it was that bad) but the soundtrack was astounding, absolutely epic. Klaus Badelt did it I believe.

13. Anthony K

Anthony K Familiar Face

I'd love it if they released the instrumentals. As a matter of fact, I was just watching Burn Notice.

14. Here you go: http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.4745/.f

Anthony, just rechecked Dickson's site ( http://johndicksonmusic.com/ ), and he sounds like he's already got the score in-the-pipe. [voice=C. Montgomery Burns]Excellent...[/voice]

15. LouieGee

LouieGee New in Town

16. Yeah, once I get it fed into the iPod, I might have to replace the M1911A1 I'm licensed to carry with a replica of Wyatt's Buntline...:eek: (When I build my house, I'm planning a "Tombstone/Old West" Room complete with doorhandles made from shotguns like Doc's.)

But now we're :eek:fftopic: --and a particularly risky one, given your location.

17. Lau Mo

Lau Mo Familiar Face

The soundtrack of the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice is beautiful. And I'm such a geek, but Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter brings tears to my eyes. Yeah, make fun of me all you want, but Harry Potter is the best :)

18. Make fun of you? Why? IIRC, that was John Williams's work, and he's the Godzilla of film-music... well, maybe tied with the late Jerry Goldsmith.

19. Why not? The Harry Potter movies have been pretty darn good and even better. The music evokes the mood and it connects those enjoyable memories of the films so when ever I hear it I get a little happy lift in my heart from the music for you it's an even stronger connection.

There is a story about French sailors a long long time ago singing the Marseilles to an indigenous tribe in New Guinea I think, and the beauty of the music overwhelmed the tribesmen that they did not know how to express their emotions caused by hearing it. (They were literally besides themselves.)

Music does that at it's best. Some classical pieces will give me goosebumps, some popular music can bring tears to my eyes in the right conditions. Music, memory and emotion are connected for many of us I think.

20. Let us not forget ELMER BERNSTEIN:eusa_clap