Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Movie Soundtracks

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
MAGNIFICENT Music

Cigarband said:
Let us not forget ELMER BERNSTEIN:eusa_clap

EXACTOmundo How can you tell a man is good with a gun? There are WAYS! Yul Bryner in the Magnificent Seven :)eusa_clap ) Solid Citizen :D

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Let's remember that Elmer Bernstein did a lot of other great soundtracks beyond The Magnificent Seven!

To name a few: The Ten Commandments, Sweet Smell of Success, Birdman of Alcatraz, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Great Escape, Airplane!, The Age of Innocence, Far From Heaven...

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Thoughts on Jerry Fielding

I've mentioned Jerry Fielding before in this thread, but seeing as he's second only to that "other" Jerry--Goldsmith, I have to go on about the late maestro, Fielding.

I once dismissed Fielding because of what I felt were his lack of "hummable" themes, yet I realized that I had been listening for years to things in Jazz that have that same kind of floating, "In/Out" sound with avant-garde--I'm searching for terms here-- "textures"--in that they may not be melodic like Williams, but the sound Fielding's music makes is itself memorable, like his motif for Arthur Bishop (the Charles Bronson character) from The Mechanic, which in terms of Fielding is actually quite catchy! No one does percussion or that "churning strings" effect like he did and it's instantly recognizable.

With Fielding, melodies weren't the point. He marries the music to the images and it always works wonderfully. Whenever I listen to Chato's Land, I hear and see the desert, which is practically a character in that film. The fact that he could do that and convince me of it, is testament to Fielding's great ability.

I'd always admired Fielding's ability to make his score a part of the movie, but now I find that I can also appreciate and marvel at those sounds apart from the films. I'm glad I finally "get it." Either that, or I'm getting more avant-garde with age!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I might sound corny as hell, but if we talk "new" films i like the song by Elton John "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" from the movie "The Lion King".

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I like very very much Ennio Morricone. Name a film he's composed music for it's just a joy to listen to..

His name could've popped up here, but I really like the memorable theme's John Williams composed for: Superman, ET, Starwars, Indiana Jones..

I'm also a fan of Bernard Herrmann: the soundtracks for Psycho and Vertigo KICK ASS! :)

And let's not forget John Barry. His music made James Bond more exciting than he really was!lol but Bill Conti's score for 'For your eyes only' is, well, brrrutally good. Listened it over and over and over again while driving my yellow Citroen 2CV..

Lalo Schifrin's eerie funk is just too cool..

Pat Williams composed one of the coolest tv-series theme's: The Streets of San Fransisco

Ryuichi Sakamoto composed beautiful work for Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. The theme-song 'Forbidden colours' is soo beautiful.

I love the music by Joe Hisaishi. His work is very moving, did almost all soundtracks for the great Takeshi Kitano:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plwNHYvyWA4. He Also is the house-composer for Hayao Miyazaki's animated fairytales. See this live performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H82QHiUvY5E

Also Tan Dun's music for my favourite Chinese Swordfighter-movie "Hero" (Zhang Yimou) is just haunting!:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCkbfapn-I4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner