Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great New Stetson. Whoa $360 for a Stetson BENCHMARK. Must be somthing special! Wait...WHAT?

Monavillecowboy

One of the Regulars
The brim is not dimensional. It is supposed to be 2 1/8" but does vary a bit.
I just measured one of mine and it was 2 1/4" all the way around.
It's really not a bad looking hat. My brother wore his to the Houston rodeo last month and was stopped by a number of photographers asking for his photo.
Reviews here seem mixed but if anyone's looking I still have a few for well below $360.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I always wonder why anybody bothers with buying new hats when vintage hats can be had in much better quality, nicer shapes and for better prices. Even if you are a phobic and can't wear anything second hand you could get a custom hat instead of those funny offerings by Stetson et al. I mean, what is the incentive to favor modern Stetson or Akubra over vintage Borsalino, Mossant or custom Art Fawcett? It doesn't seem to be price related. Not trying to diss anybody, I just don't understand it

I always wonder why anybody bothers with buying new hats when vintage hats can be had in much better quality, nicer shapes and for better prices. Even if you are a phobic and can't wear anything second hand you could get a custom hat instead of those funny offerings by Stetson et al. I mean, what is the incentive to favor modern Stetson or Akubra over vintage Borsalino, Mossant or custom Art Fawcett? It doesn't seem to be price related. Not trying to diss anybody, I just don't understand it

Because, personally, I have modern Stetsons and Akubras that I enjoy as much as my vintage Stetsons, Mallorys, and Daltons. And after all, if I like them and like how I look in them, who's to call me wrong?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I just don't understand it
Maybe it's the free fishing tackle(?) :)

When you buy a Happy Meal at McDonald's, you get a small piece of cheap plastic toy for the kids. That makes many people choose an indoor burger stand instead of a restaurant.

When you buy a Stetson, Dad gets a small length of fishing wire - used to tack the ribbon with.

One should never underestimate the "value" of free marketing gifts! :D

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
What is it that makes you enjoy them just as much as your vintage hats? That is what is puzzling me. I think we all agree that vintage hats are usually of higher quality and craftsmanship and often can be bought cheaper. So what puts you in a mind to spend more on a modern hat than on a vintage hat? Is it just because they are previously unworn or do you think they look better or what? I can't wrap my mind around it.

Monavillecowboy

One of the Regulars
Here's a review I received on our website that sort of responds to a couple of comments:
Beautiful workmanship!
IcoRating5.gif

Posted by John on 18th Nov 2015

Very pleased with this purchase. I typically buy vintage to get the quality of the past, but this Stetson product is first-rate in every respect. When funds permit I just may buy the other color if its still around by that time. It also helps to purchase from a friendly, helpful and responsive merchant, and Mike is all of that!

He may have overrated me a bit but I appreciate it.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
He may have overrated me a bit but I appreciate it.
The 2015 Stetsons have yet not been imported to Denmark, so I have to rely on reviews - and order online.

I told this a few times before, but when I visited the US in March 2014, I went to a well known hat store in Nashville to check out their Premiere Stratoliners and Stetsonians. None of the ones I handled should ever have left Garland! All in all I handled eight Premiere Stetsons during my visit, and all had flaws in the range from obvious to disastrous.

I would never ever pay $250 for a hat, that should have been trashed by Quality Control at the factory.

Still having to rely on reviews, contemporary Stetsons are not - and never will be - an option in my World.

What is it that makes you enjoy them just as much as your vintage hats? That is what is puzzling me. I think we all agree that vintage hats are usually of higher quality and craftsmanship and often can be bought cheaper. So what puts you in a mind to spend more on a modern hat than on a vintage hat? Is it just because they are previously unworn or do you think they look better or what? I can't wrap my mind around it.

It has nothing to do with it being an unworn hat. I'm not a germophobe. I love my vintages. They provide me with great happiness and I like how they look. They have great materials and construction and, if you've read some of my posts, I get off on bringing some of them back from the "dead."

I have two Akubras I purchased new. As many here on the FL will attest to, they are fantastic hats for the $$. Heck, I think they're fantastic hats, period. I own a CD and a Fedora (yes, that's the model name). The look of the CD - tall straight crown, served open, is a classic look and the hat will last beyond my years on this earth. The Fedora is soft as a bunny, was also served open crown, and was a joy to bash. And as I describe it, there is a certain joy in being the first to "compromise the virtue of a hat."

I own three new Stetsons, only one of which I paid full price for (but still got a discount from DelMonico). Two were purchased at the Garland Outlet. This is a Stetson Lamont, probably made around 2013-14. It's a great hat - densely felted, fantastic finish, great fit, and I like the look. I paid $50 for it, a great deal on a great hat. This is a 150th Anniversary Stetson Racine I purchased in January. As I say in that post, it's a fairly heavy hat, but the felt is great, it bashes easily, and I like the look and proportions. I think javadave and RJR will agree it's a nice hat. It retails for $245, but I paid a fraction of that since it was at the outlet. I did get some of the fishing tackle Ole describes, but I think it looks and feels good - and looks good on me.

Lastly, I purchased a 150th Anniversary Stetsonian, which although I paid retail for, I still got on a discount. And this, my friend, is just a ****ing awesome hat.

Stetsonian 1.jpg
Stetsonian 3.jpg
Stetsonian 2.jpg

I hope you can wrap your mind around that. And if not, like Sly said, "Different strokes..." :cool:

javadave61

Practically Family

One word: Hat size. Okay, make that two words. For those of us in 7 1/2 or larger, vintage hats aren't the low hanging fruit you make them out to be. I have one true vintage (50s Royal Deluxe) and it was in crappy shape, had terrible photos in eBay, and stains on it. No one noticed it, so I took the gamble, got it at a low price, and resurrected it from the dead. It's a great hat. But it's a bit delicate. Not the felt, but the sweat. So I don't wear it in anything less than ideal conditions.

Whereas my Stetson Racine and mid ribbon Royal Deluxe are exceptional pieces I got for less than $100 each at the outlet. Granted, if I were forced to pay $225, I'd be headed towards a custom hat. My half dozen Akubras make me smile a little when I put them on. And at a great price too.

If I had been blessed with a size 7 head, I'd have a small village full of vintage hats. But that's really not possible. I decided a while back not to allow myself to look down upon my new pieces, because they are great hats. Really, they are.

One word: Hat size. Okay, make that two words. For those of us in 7 1/2 or larger, vintage hats aren't the low hanging fruit you make them out to be. I have one true vintage (50s Royal Deluxe) and it was in crappy shape, had terrible photos in eBay, and stains on it. No one noticed it, so I took the gamble, got it at a low price, and resurrected it from the dead. It's a great hat. But it's a bit delicate. Not the felt, but the sweat. So I don't wear it in anything less than ideal conditions.

Whereas my Stetson Racine and mid ribbon Royal Deluxe are exceptional pieces I got for less than $100 each at the outlet. Granted, if I were forced to pay $225, I'd be headed towards a custom hat. My half dozen Akubras make me smile a little when I put them on. And at a great price too.

If I had been blessed with a size 7 head, I'd have a small village full of vintage hats. But that's really not possible. I decided a while back not to allow myself to look down upon my new pieces, because they are great hats. Really, they are.

The Royal Deluxe - is that the Deckard Special (Mom's hat)?

And one thing I didn't cover - for a bloke like me who is a 7 1/4, you have to have an eagle eye and a little OCD to pick up a nice vintage like a Whippet, Playboy, or Strat for a reasonable price. They're out there, but the competition is fierce!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Well, size is an argument. At $300 plus, I was not only wondering why you don't go the vintage route but also why you don't go custom. But it seems most of you are not prepared to buy the modern hats for full retail price either. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails