Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great War Thread?

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
I know it's a little before the Golden Era, but I am interested in starting a Great War thread. We do have precedents for periods earlier than the Golden Era, for example, Campaign Hats.

Comments?

Regards,

Harry.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
This is a good question, and I'm sure that many would like to see such a thread (although your inquiry would be better posted in the Observation Bar, and not the General Attire forum). Regarding your example of campaign hats, though, they do run through part the Golden Era, as they were standard issue in the U.S. Army and Marine Corps until 1942.

The earlier version of campaign hats have a higher crown than present day smokey bear types. I think that accurate reproductions are hard to find.

Supposedly In WWI the campaign hat was to be replaced by that cloth service cap (like soda jerks wear). When those were issued many campaign hats were cut up and used as felt insoles for their boots.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
When those were issued many campaign hats were cut up and used as felt insoles for their boots.

There's a Stars and Stripes article from the war that claims they were being made into slippers for convalescents.

I think a Great War thread is appropriate. The generally accepted timeframe for the Golden Era around here seems to be between the wars, so a lot of what we appreciate has its roots in that conflict.

-Dave

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The earlier version of campaign hats have a higher crown than present day smokey bear types. I think that accurate reproductions are hard to find.

Supposedly In WWI the campaign hat was to be replaced by that cloth service cap (like soda jerks wear). When those were issued many campaign hats were cut up and used as felt insoles for their boots.

Cut up for insoles and slippers?! Spare me!

I think you're speaking of the "Montana peak" hats that were used before WWI. Yes, the garrison (or overseas) cap was used quite a bit, but then was not re-visited until the USAAF started to issue them some years later.

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Bartenders - where to put "The Great War" thread?

Any suggestions? Seems like there is some interest.

High regards,

Harry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21