Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greetings!

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Hi ladies -- figured I was never going to make friends by lurking!

Anyway, has anyone else noticed that JPeterman frequently offers some really adorable pieces that are classic vintage style with out the hassle of real classic vintage? (Like sizing issues -- I'm one of the lucky few who happens to be built very slight and very short so I can squeeze myself into a lot of cute dresses that are just not sized for modern women...and thank pete, because I can't seem to find modern clothes that fit at all!) Anyway, I've never ordered from them myself, but I've heard lots of great things about the company and their products. Sometimes it's hit or miss, in the catalog -- the current offering of the "40s polka dot dress" is wretched, but the 1930s newport dress is just darling -- http://www.jpeterman.com/cgi-bin/sg...2708073737&HTNAME=htmljp-products/OM1485.html

It's a good place to keep an eye on, especially if you have trouble finding your size on the vintage racks since they offer sizes 4-16!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hi! Welcome!

I have loved the J Peterman women's clothing as well, especially the Out of Africa and Titanic lines they offered in previous collections! I am built similar to you (slender, but somewhat tall) so unfortunately they don't work for me. But the classic vintage styles work well when they're in good enough condition to be worn.

Glad to have another lady in the Powder Room!

Lauren

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
Hi! Welcome!

I have loved the J Peterman women's clothing as well, especially the Out of Africa and Titanic lines they offered in previous collections! I am built similar to you (slender, but somewhat tall) so unfortunately they don't work for me. But the classic vintage styles work well when they're in good enough condition to be worn.

Glad to have another lady in the Powder Room!

Lauren

Thanks, Lauren!

I guess the only thing about J Peterman is that the thought of ordering clothing online is just terrifying -- what if it's hideous in real life? What if it looks like a sack once I get it on?

I wonder if gals had the same hang-ups when ordering out of the Sears catalogs...

~ Queenie.

MissTayva

Hi new person! :)
I never knew that site existed... thanks for turning me on to a new link.
I just wish they showed actual photographs and not illustrations of the clothes. I like the sarong dress, but would like a better look at the fabric.

JenLyn

New in Town
Welcome Miss Queenie!

I recently discovered the J. Peterman website and love all the unique things they have on there. I really liked the Newport dress and the 50's floral dress, but I have to agree with Miss Tayva, I wish they showed actual photos instead of sketches. It would give me a better idea of how the material looked, etc.

I was in Barnes and Noble tonight and noticed in the cookbook section that they had a series of cookbooks on retro luaus, retro dinners, retro cocktail hours, etc. I thought of you all. I didn't get too close of a look at them (I was trying to keep track of a busy 17-month-old), but they had some great pictures in the one I looked at.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Hello Queenie,
What a lovely look you have!

JenLyn said:
I was in Barnes and Noble tonight and noticed in the cookbook section that they had a series of cookbooks on retro luaus, retro dinners, retro cocktail hours, etc. I thought of you all. I didn't get too close of a look at them (I was trying to keep track of a busy 17-month-old), but they had some great pictures in the one I looked at.

Um, would some of the books be the ones here?
http://retroradar.com/shop/index.php/cPath/24?osCsid=b7691e33f9b651eab1debc674d9a6ee1

JenLyn

New in Town
Yup, those are the ones! Haven't had much of a chance to scout out Retro Radar, but I see I'll have to check it out soon!

CanaryBird

New in Town
Hi Ladies. I dropped by a few months ago and then promptly forgot about this site (awful of me, i know). I'm from New Zealand - our swing community is small but fiesty ;) - do many of you dance swing or are you more into the vintage look?

swinggal

One Too Many
Suppose I'd better say hi too. I'm from Perth Australia and I've been lurking for a while. Big vintage collector, dresser and swing dancer of 6 years

Hey CanaryBird, would I have met you at ALX 2002? I was one of the Perth people that came across for it. I know David Chen well.

Anyway, welcome.

Trickeration

Practically Family
New Too...

Hi All!
I'm new here, too. I don't have a picture up yet, but I'll try to fix that over the next few days (all of yours are great!) . I'm from the LA area, and pretty heavily into both the swing and rockabilly scenes here. My husband and I play in 17 piece swing orchestra and a 30's-40's jazz combo. We even go to a rockabilly church (honest! See www.hotrodchurch.com ). I also dance, which is how I met Wildroot and Matt Deckard and learned about this website.
Anyway, it's great to meet others who are so into vintage, well, everything! See ya around the forum. T

CanaryBird

New in Town
No, i've only been dancing for 2 years, so won't have met you at ALX - i went 03 and 04, and am heading up again this year, and hopefully going either to MLX or lismore and maybe to herrang next year (i'm addicted!!). We are organising a wicked swing weekend in chch at the end of the year though - bill borgida and maybe rob and diane are gonna come too so that's exciting. I'm just about ready to skip the country for lack of leads though! Room for me in Perth?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Thought I'd introduce myself as well.
I 've been a vintage collector for quite a while and dancing since 94,although not very seriously with the dancing.Learned just enough to fake it on the floor. ;)
What sends me is the ambience, cool decor,swing band playing,guys and gals dressed in finery,and a martini in hand.
I love to socialize and people watch,so the more the merrier is my motto.
-Ruby

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the new gals! This joint seems to be jumping. I've been a bit tied up lately with closing down the school year at work, so I'm a little late on jumping in here to say "howdy."

Ruby, where in Texas are you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy