Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey tweed jacket and plus fours, NO LONGER FOR SALE, sorry!

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Blue grey herringbone tweed suit, 3 button single breasted jacket and plus fours. I'm guessing 1930's but it could be later.

knickerbocker001.jpg

No size label. I can wear it, but I think I'm an inch or two too tall. See the photos just taken and see what you think. I'm a 36" chest, 32" waist, 5'9" tall. The plusses don't down hang down over the knee enough for my liking. Also I'm wearing them too low around they waist, they go a lot higher but I couldn't lay my hands on a pair of braces! (They are about a 33" waist, I'm 31"/32")

knickerbockersuit009.jpg

knickerbockersuit012.jpg

knickerbockersuit008.jpg

High waisted, button fly with a fistail back.

knickerbockersuit011.jpg

knickerbockersuit003.jpg

Made by Southwell's of Hull.

A couple of small holes in the plusses but that's all. Sleeves have been let down an inch, but nothing has been cut and would be easy to return to original length.

I bought it a couple of years ago to go with my pre-war racing cycles, but I've never worn it. I've got a pair of brown tweed cycling plus sixes which I prefer. Seems a shame to see it sit in the back of the wardrobe!

I'm looking for around £80, which is a wild stab in the dark! I've not seen any others to compare, so I guess they don't turn up too often. If you think it's too high, haggle! If not, grab a bargain!

I'm happy to supply further measurements, details, photos, whether your interested in buying or not!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Won't fit me at all

But my friend, if you part with that suit, you'll kick yourself for the rest of your life. Maybe they're common where you are, but here? Impossible.

It looks great on you. KEEP IT.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Going by your responses I'm now in two minds about letting it go :eusa_doh:

I do love it, even though it's a tad short, but where the hell am I going to where it??

I'd thought I'd made my mind up too let this one go, now on hold while I sleep on it, sorry fellas :( Not something I like doing at all.

So one went for $2000 on ebay? :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm sure mines not in that league but ****!

I've now got to restle with my conscience about withdrawing it on here and putting it up on evil bay if I do dedide to part with it. Greed and honour fighting it out in my head now.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
OK, I've decided to keep it....

for now! I hadn't realised how rare these suits were, and looking at photos of me wearing the suit, it ain't as bad on me as I thought...

Also, while it's not worth anywhere near $2000, £80 was probably giving it away judging by some responses lol
I'm now looking at excuses to wear this suit, maybe one of the vintage bicycle rides I do occassionally? My dilema is I don't like hanging on to stuff if it never gets used. I'll let you know how I get on.

Many apologies for getting peoples hopes up and then cruelly dashing them:eusa_doh:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Where to wear it?
To walk the dog on an autumn morning. To a country pub for a pint. To shoot clay pigeons. To the county sheep herding trials.

But I'm kind of a sappy romantic.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
I've dug out some cycling pics of me in plus fours, I'll scan them in tonight and post them up. Maybe in General Attire. I'd also like to see if anyone else on here wears them! My problem is while I like vintage gear, I'm quite shy and don't like being stared at like a freak. I can get away with a flat cap, vintage flying jacket and an old pair of Levi's, but wearing plus fours people stop in their tracks and gawp at me! lol

I'll get a pic of that label up tonight as well herringbonekid!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Mike1973 said:
... but wearing plus fours people stop in their tracks and gawp at me! lol

I'll get a pic of that label up tonight as well herringbonekid!

thanks !

i'm the same: i like the occassional appreciative glance but i don't want to cause a riot. i suppose if you wear them while riding a vintage bike or driving an old car it will give the public a context to place you in.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Is there any way I can change the title to read NO LONGER FOR SALE, I feel really bad for getting folks hopes up when they see the thread.

Sorry Ghos7a55assin, going back in the wardrobe while I rethink what to do with it.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I really can't say with any educated certainty, but my instinct is that you have a quite scarce and interesting suit. Worth hanging onto in any case until you can be more certain of age, possible provenance, value, etc.

"I'm tired of this Mona Lisa. First 8o Pounds takes it."

Gah!

You are making the right decision. Closet it carefully and protect from moths extra well.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
that type of lining and sleeve lining looks the same all the way through the utility clothing years (it's the quintessential english type of war-time lining) but going by the label and fabric i'd say '35 -'39.

-oh, and going by the jacket lapels too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass