Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guernsey jumper

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Thanks for the info. I thought about a shetland sweater first. Most people seem to find those scratchy, though, and a guernsey can look even better. I've googled a bit about whether guernseys are itchy and opinion seems mixed. My skin can be sensitive but not extremely so. I think I'll just man up a little, trust the advice here and take the plunge!

Yes go for it, I am sure you won't be disapointed, especially as the weather has become colder again. Rgds Steve.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Steve,

My informant had the wrong town - the exhibition is at Cromer Museum. Here is a link: http://www.maritimeheritageeast.org.uk/exhibitions/ganseys
It certainly looks worth visiting. Look at the fantastic photos! Note the 'muffler' worn at the neck in one case.

I think I detect a Sheringham pattern and a Yarmouth pattern, but I'm not sure about the third - is that Cromer, I wonder? The construction details are interesting - note the reference to a 'false seam' knitted in purl stitch at the sides, although the gansey is knitted continuously on 5 needles. Interesting!

I have such a lot to learn!

You have done a lot of research on this subject, 5 needles, wow, that's a feat, you realy need as many limbs as an octopus! Rgds.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I bought a navy Blue Guernsey from Guernsey Woollens years ago and it still fits fine, it has been very useful during this long cold winter too. Rgds Steve.

FlArchaeologist

Familiar Face
My local knitting group is going to be knitting Geurnseys starting this April. We're just doing miniature ones at first, so we can focus on learning the special techniques (the underarm gussets, the special guernsey cast-on that leaves little bumps along the bottom edge, knitting in letters/initials, etc), and then afterwards whoever wants to do a full-size one will be able to do so. I'm actually knitting a different sweater at the same time as working on the mini-guernsey, but once that is finished I plan on moving up to a full size guernsey.

Cheers,
Adam C.

FlArchaeologist

Familiar Face
Oh, and most Guernsey's I've looked at are knit to look like they have seams (it's just one purl stitch that is repeated in every row to differentiate it from the normal knit stitch of the main "fabric"), but are actually knit in the round on large 16" long knitting needles. To knit them flat and then seam them would be EXTREMELY tedious for the handknitter, and would take longer than just knitting in the round as you have to keep turning the work at the end of every row. Now if you're using a knitting machine, then yeah, doing it in flat panels and seaming them is easier....but that's not how you do a handknit trad guernsey.....

Cheers,
Adam

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Oh, and most Guernsey's I've looked at are knit to look like they have seams (it's just one purl stitch that is repeated in every row to differentiate it from the normal knit stitch of the main "fabric"), but are actually knit in the round on large 16" long knitting needles. To knit them flat and then seam them would be EXTREMELY tedious for the handknitter, and would take longer than just knitting in the round as you have to keep turning the work at the end of every row. Now if you're using a knitting machine, then yeah, doing it in flat panels and seaming them is easier....but that's not how you do a handknit trad guernsey.....

Cheers,
Adam

Good Morning Adam, Re these 2 messages of yours here. Sounds an interesting project you have going there in April, Hope it goes well for you. Rgds Steve

FlArchaeologist

Familiar Face
Thanks, Steve. I'm looking forward to getting it going. We would actually start now, but one of the ladies who is a driving force behind the project is going out of town for a bit, so we await her return to get started.

Cheers,
Adam

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Thanks, Steve. I'm looking forward to getting it going. We would actually start now, but one of the ladies who is a driving force behind the project is going out of town for a bit, so we await her return to get started.

Cheers,
Adam

Hallo again,
Out of interest, are there many men in that knitting group?
I guess even in Florida it gets cold enough for a sweater sometimes. We have had such a long cold winter here in the UK, the sales of warm sweaters must of increased by a large amount, good news for those retailers. We have just gone onto British Summer time and in the past few days we have suddenly seen the sun and the spring flowers are out which does make a good change. Rgds Steve.

FlArchaeologist

Familiar Face
We had two of us, but one is moving across the country next week and then I am moving to Michigan this coming Fall. There is a third guy that will be joining up with us next week to learn. There's actually more male knitters out there than most people realize, they just tend to mostly lurk under the radar....which is sad, as knitting was originally a man's trade and it was not until the 19th century it became mostly associated with female domestic arts (and even then, sailors and cowboys were still knitting up into the 1940s...and Russel Crowe still knits between scenes while on set today). I have actually met a number of older gentlemen while I have been knitting in local coffee shops who have told me stories about how when they were kids during WWII, they actually would spend their evenings knitting socks for the soldiers. As for how cold it gets here, we live right on the Florida/Georgia border so we do get a bit of cold weather....it even snowed back in 1989. It's only for about three-ish months, running between 27-45 degrees farrenheit during the days, so usually a sweater and a cap is all that is needed. Most of my knitting is actually geared towards historical reproduction stuff or items for family/friends, though this year I am doing a bit more for myself in preparation for Michigan. Glad to hear you all are finally getting some warmer weather. When I visited London a few years back in June I still had to wear a sweater once the sun went down, so I can't even imagine what this winter has been like for you all.

Cheers,
Adam

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
My local knitting group is going to be knitting Geurnseys starting this April. We're just doing miniature ones at first, so we can focus on learning the special techniques (the underarm gussets, the special guernsey cast-on that leaves little bumps along the bottom edge, knitting in letters/initials, etc), and then afterwards whoever wants to do a full-size one will be able to do so. I'm actually knitting a different sweater at the same time as working on the mini-guernsey, but once that is finished I plan on moving up to a full size guernsey.

Cheers,
Adam C.

I'm glad to see more men knitting, we used to have a few in our knitting group, but most of them moved away. I've been toying with the idea of knitting a Guernsey for my Hubby, but we live in Southern California at the moment and don't have much use for such things. We may be moving to Northern California or Oregon soon, and then I'd have reason enough to knit him one.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many

Cheers,
Adam C.

Good morning Adam, did your group get going with knitting the Guernseys last month? Rgds Steve.

MikePotts

Practically Family
About 30 years ago the firm of Helly Hansen made a navy Guernsey that was not only attractive but TRULY waterproof. I gifted it away when I moved to Texas :)

MP

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
About 30 years ago the firm of Helly Hansen made a navy Guernsey that was not only attractive but TRULY waterproof. I gifted it away when I moved to Texas :)

MP

That would of been a great Guernsey as Helly Hansen have a very good reputation, whoever you gave yours to was a lucky person.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Owing to the extended period of cold weather here in the UK lately, I have still been wearing my Navy Guernsey and other heavy sweaters and been very glad of them too.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I wore my navy Blue Guernsey the other day, I had not done so for a while, I forgot how warm and comfortable they are. I saw a chap wearing one yesterday, it was rather unusual being light blue with a V neck. I think though that with respect I prefer the traditional high neck design. V/R

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I wore my navy Blue Guernsey the other day, I had not done so for a while, I forgot how warm and comfortable they are. I saw a chap wearing one yesterday, it was rather unusual being light blue with a V neck. I think though that with respect I prefer the traditional high neck design. V/R

I agree with all the above; I wore my olive green Guernsey at the weekend and am wearing my 'natural' or sand one today.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I saw three chaps within one week recently, all wearing navy blue Guernseys, they all looked very smart indeed. I will have to get mine out again.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I saw three chaps within one week recently, all wearing navy blueGuernseys, they all looked very smart indeed. I will have to get mine out again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff