Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guernsey jumper

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
In the early 1990s a friend gave me a copy of a book called ‘The Young Fogey’ handbook. He was referring ironically to my penchant for Guernseys, ribbed military sweaters, tweed jackets and corduroy trousers that I had as a young man – and retain to an even greater extent. The Guernsey, in particular, was singled out as part of the uniform of the ‘Young Fogey’. Unfortunately I gave away/lent the book some time ago, but would like to re-read sometime. Have any of you ever come across this book in the UK or US?

On occasional cold days this season I have enjoyed wearing my Navy Guernsey.

Yes wore my Guernsey recently, it's not been cold enough really, maybe the coming months will be better.

It's a while since I have visited/posted this FL site, it seems to have changed somewhat?

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yes wore my Guernsey recently, it's not been cold enough really, maybe the coming months will be better.

It's a while since I have visited/posted this FL site, it seems to have changed somewhat?

The FL site has changed several times over the past few weeks but seems to have settled down now?

I have found the mild weather very disappointing and hate the continuous south-west winds, but I hope that there will be a change in the New Year. It's been cool enough for woolly pullies sometimes but Guernseys more rarely. I have worn my Navy blue one on a few occasions this season. I like it because it's rugged and comfortable and also because of its long Naval history.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many

Yes I agree with your comments here. I have just returned from the mountains in Germany & Austria and there was very little snow, it was very mild indeed. The only place where it was a bit colder was at the summit of the Zugspitze Mountain at 10000 ft, there were people doing winter sports at that altitude but no where else, the hotels that rely of the ski trade must be concerned.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I am wearing my navy blue Guernsey today, it is rather cold for the time of year although very sunny too. The Guernsey is keeping me warn though. :)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
This year I have worn my Navy Guernsey a few times but for some reason I have tended to favour the 'New Natural' or 'Desert Rat' version.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Seeing that Le Tricoteur has been revived, I am deciding which of the new (actually revived old) colours when I add to my collection. Either brown or charcoal I think.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Seeing that Le Tricoteur has been revived, I am deciding which of the new (actually revived old) colours when I add to my collection. Either brown or charcoal I think.

Oddy enough, I have seen a couple of chaps recently wearing Guernseys, one was wearing a dark brown which looked really smart and warm, perhaps to do with the colour, another was wearing a grey coloured Guernsey, but it was more silvergrey than charcoal.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Those look really nice. If you do buy one, please let us know your thoughts as I'm considering one myself.
I certainly would be delighted to let you know. I have several of these sweaters already and really, really enjoy wearing them - I look forward to the opportunity to do so. Fall is in the air now which is wonderful!
I like some of these new colours which, as I said earlier, are really revived old ones: I haven't had a dark brown Guernsey since my 20s.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
In fact, it was cold enough for me to wear my Navy Guernsey for a couple of hours this morning, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I look forward to wearing it all day a few weeks from now.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The grey (they call it "steel") or beige.
I have the Steel Grey (very nice colour) and the Beige (which was called New Natural when I bought it). Therefore I'm thinking of either the Brown or the Dark Grey.
Good to meet a chap who shares my (sensible) taste in woollies.
With Guernseys it's wise to choose a sweater that's one size bigger than your usual sweater size so that it is fairly loose fitting.

I have the Steel Grey (very nice colour) and the Beige (which was called New Natural when I bought it). Therefore I'm thinking of either the Brown or the Dark Grey.
Good to meet a chap who shares my (sensible) taste in woollies.
With Guernseys it's wise to choose a sweater that's one size bigger than your usual sweater size so that it is fairly loose fitting.

Thanks for the advice - that's great guidance and nice of you to think to mention it.

At the end of last season, I bought two sweater, on sale, from this company:

http://www.northseaclothing.com

- The Convoy MK2
- The Expedition MK1

Both are incredible - heavy, beautiful weave, tight cuffs and waist and very timeless look.

Hence, I'm feeling a bit guilty about buying more sweaters right now - but these Guernsey from this company are so nice looking that they are tempting me.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Thanks for the advice. At the end of last season, I bought two sweater, on sale, from this company:

http://www.northseaclothing.com

- The Convoy MK2
- The Expedition MK1

Both are incredible - heavy, beautiful weave, tight cuffs and waist and very timeless look.

Hence, I'm feeling a bit guilty about buying more sweaters right now - but these Guernsey from this company are so nice looking that they are tempting me.

They are very nice sweaters - the only reason why I don't go for them now is that they do closely resemble sweaters I already possess.
You should never feel guilty about buying new sweaters! I am sure you will like the Steel or Beige.

They are very nice sweaters - the only reason why I don't go for them now is that they do closely resemble sweaters I already possess.
You should never feel guilty about buying new sweaters! I am sure you will like the Steel or Beige.

If you find one from North Sea you really like, it's worth signing up for their emails as they rarely send one (thankfully), but do alert you to the very few sales they have. And when they do have a sale, it's meaningful - I bought my two sweaters at greater than 50% off, but the selection was limited. I got lucky that they had ones I wanted, but that's where the email helped as they go fast when on sale, so you want to get in early.

I meant Navy-Grey Marl!

I think it's a 'must' in fact.

Very, very funny - that is the exact one I'm eyeing. I can't justify full price, but if that puppy is around come sale time!

I found the sweaters slightly on the slim size for the numerical size - but the company was very helpful via email on sizing and other questions.

If you pull the trigger, let us know as I'll be really excited to find out what you think of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21