Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guernsey jumper

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Very, very funny - that is the exact one I'm eyeing. I can't justify full price, but if that puppy is around come sale time!

I found the sweaters slightly on the slim size for the numerical size - but the company was very helpful via email on sizing and other questions.

If you pull the trigger, let us know as I'll be really excited to find out what you think of it.
Nothing would give me greater pleasure. I shall order it in a couple of weeks and ask them a few sizing questions tomorrow. You in turn will I hope tell me about your experience with the Guernsey.
Great minds think alike.

I originally posted these in the wrong thread and am reposting here per Ticklishchap's request.

These are from North Sea Clothing. The quality is insane, they wool is heavy and tightly woven, they look and feel great.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I originally posted these in the wrong thread and am reposting here per Ticklishchap's request.

These are from North Sea Clothing. The quality is insane, they wool is heavy and tightly woven, they look and feel great.

Fading Fast, I am sure that everyone who sees this will understand immediately why I suggested you re-post them. I am already in touch with North Sea Clothing to add to my ridiculously large collection of woollies! But I have no intention to stop collecting. ...

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Thanks for the advice - that's great guidance and nice of you to think to mention it.

At the end of last season, I bought two sweater, on sale, from this company:

http://www.northseaclothing.com

- The Convoy MK2
- The Expedition MK1

Both are incredible - heavy, beautiful weave, tight cuffs and waist and very timeless look.

Hence, I'm feeling a bit guilty about buying more sweaters right now - but these Guernsey from this company are so nice looking that they are tempting me.

I just looked at their website, they do have some lovely looking pullovers there, I quite like the grey marl roll neck, I wonder if you can call into their premises? I'd like to try one on before I made a purchase.

I just looked at their website, they do have some lovely looking pullovers there, I quite like the grey marl roll neck, I wonder if you can call into their premises? I'd like to try one on before I made a purchase.

I, too, like the grey marl one (as does Tickleishchap).

In the US, there as some stores that carry the brand, but none close by, so I just emailed with the company and ordered online - they are very nice and helpful. That said, if you emailed them and asked if there was a store that carries them in London - I bet there is - I'm sured they'd direct you to it.

If you do check it out, please let us know what you think. Good luck.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I, too, like the grey marl one (as does Tickleishchap).

In the US, there as some stores that carry the brand, but none close by, so I just emailed with the company and ordered online - they are very nice and helpful. That said, if you emailed them and asked if there was a store that carries them in London - I bet there is - I'm sured they'd direct you to it.

If you do check it out, please let us know what you think. Good luck.

It's Ticklischap with no 'e'. I found when I emailed them that the Grey Mark was not available in my size, but that they do have a dark grey submarine sweater instead. I'm thinking about it. However I shall definitely buy a brown Guernsey from Le Tric.

So I broke down and just ordered the NorthSea Diver in navy/marled grey. A slow day at work strikes again and costs me money.

And this will be one heck of a sweater if it makes me look a quarter as good as the model does wearing it.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
What's with wearing a turtleneck neck unrolled? I see it done quite often among the fashion crowd. Is it just a stupid fashion quirk or does it have any justification?

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
What's with wearing a turtleneck neck unrolled? I see it done quite often among the fashion crowd. Is it just a stupid fashion quirk or does it have any justification?

I too wonder why some people wear these with the neck unrolled, I agree with you, I do not see the point of that, it does not look right. I think it is an odd fashion quirk as you say.

That does look a great sweater that "fading Fast" above has just ordered. It looks rather like the RAF or R N Submariner Roll Necks of which I have some and they are really warm. I was wearing one of them a few days ago when I was in the North Of England.

I wear it rolled like a normal person. My guess is you are spot on - it's a fashion quirk. I've seen women do it that way for years (and some say it is warmer as it goes up higher and forms a tighter seal), but only recently have noticed it being done by men in catalogues / not real life.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
So I broke down and just ordered the NorthSea Diver in navy/marled grey. A slow day at work strikes again and costs me money.

And this will be one heck of a sweater if it makes me look a quarter as good as the model does wearing it.

... And there was I thinking it was you! I like the fact that North Sea Clothing use a ruggedly handsome male model with a lived-in face who looks as if he's as happy in the open air as in the city. It makes better advertising than the youthful androgynous types you get in some of these promotions.

I haven't ordered my roll neck from North Sea yet but intend to do so later this month or December - as a Christmas present along with the brown Guernsey.

... And there was I thinking it was you! I like the fact that North Sea Clothing use a ruggedly handsome male model with a lived-in face who looks as if he's as happy in the open air as in the city. It makes better advertising than the youthful androgynous types you get in some of these promotions.

I haven't ordered my roll neck from North Sea yet but intend to do so later this month or December - as a Christmas present along with the brown Guernsey.

At 52, I have a much better chance of kidding myself that I have an "open-air ruggedness" as youth and (very limited) beauty have long since evanesced :). Kidding aside, the company was great to deal with (as always) and it should be here in 2 weeks or less. I'll post pictures when it arrives.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
At 52, I have a much better chance of kidding myself that I have an "open-air ruggedness" as youth and (very limited) beauty have long since evanesced :). Kidding aside, the company was great to deal with (as always) and it should be here in 2 weeks or less. I'll post pictures when it arrives.

Like you I have an open-air ruggedness at the age of 50. I look forward to your photos and I shall send some of my own.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
It's cold enough for my Navy Guernsey today which I've dug out as a change from the military Woolly Pullies of the past 10 days or so.

wdw

One Too Many
How does NSC compare to SWC, or even OKW, in terms of materials and workmanship?

Is NSC really worth 4 times the price of SWC, or twice the more expensive OKW?

I'm happy with both SWC and the OKW WPs, but am unsure if the relatively large cost leap to NSC is worth it. I'm keen to hear from those with experience.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
How does NSC compare to SWC, or even OKW, in terms of materials and workmanship?

Is NSC really worth 4 times the price of SWC, or twice the more expensive OKW?

I'm happy with both SWC and the OKW WPs, but am unsure if the relatively large cost leap to NSC is worth it. I'm keen to hear from those with experience.
The OKW WPs are really hard to beat although I admit to being very biased towards them as they are my 'default' sweaters. SWCs have strong attractions as well. I agree that the NSCs are very expensive - more expensive than Guernseys - and I don't quite see why. They look good, however, and I am looking forward to Fading Fast's review when his NSC arrives.

wdw

One Too Many
The NSCs are academic for me now as they're out of my size in the ones that tempt me. Don't know how long a restock will take.

I'm interested to read @Fading Fast's review too.

The OKW WPs are really hard to beat although I admit to being very biased towards them as they are my 'default' sweaters. SWCs have strong attractions as well. I agree that the NSCs are very expensive - more expensive than Guernseys - and I don't quite see why. They look good, however, and I am looking forward to Fading Fast's review when his NSC arrives.

The problem is I don't own either an OKW or SWC one. I do already own two NSC and they are incredible: A very heavy weave, very tight seams, impressive workmanship all around. However, I can't give any relative commentary to OKW or SWC.

My new NSC is at Kennedy Airport (according to Royal Mail Tracking), so should arrive early this week and I'll gladly provide commentary, but again, no relative comparison.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The problem is I don't own either an OKW or SWC one. I do already own two NSC and they are incredible: A very heavy weave, very tight seams, impressive workmanship all around. However, I can't give any relative commentary to OKW or SWC.

My new NSC is at Kennedy Airport (according to Royal Mail Tracking), so should arrive early this week and I'll gladly provide commentary, but again, no relative comparison.

Agreed. A straightforward review will be enough! I hope the NSC reaches you soon. Re. OKW, I'll keep working on you with positive propaganda.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The NSCs are academic for me now as they're out of my size in the ones that tempt me. Don't know how long a restock will take.

I'm interested to read @Fading Fast's review too.
I had the same problem re. the Marl Grey that Fading Fast went for. There wasn't one in my size. Therefore it would have to be a fisherman's sweater: excellent choice and I really like the idea, but I have several in this genre already and, as you rightly point out, the costs. As I told FF, I might be tempted at the end of the year or in January!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff