Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guernsey jumper

I had the same problem re. the Marl Grey that Fading Fast went for. There wasn't one in my size. Therefore it would have to be a fisherman's sweater: excellent choice and I really like the idea, but I have several in this genre already and, as you rightly point out, the costs. As I told FF, I might be tempted at the end of the year or in January!

When I bought mine, I emailed with NSC and they told me there was only one more left in my size as they said the Marl Grey Divers sold really well. But when I said, "so you'll be ordering more," she said probably not because the minimum order for the fabric is high and they don't know if they could sell that many additional sweaters of that exact style and fabric. She said as a small company it is very painful for them to be left with a lot of unsold merchandise so they don't re-order just because a "one-off" sold well.

Separately, I think my sweater did something to offend the customs officers at Kennedy as it has now been there for four days based on Royal Mail tracking. I hope some nefarious character didn't take my sweater's family hostage back in the UK and force my sweater into becoming a drug mule or something.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Separately, I think my sweater did something to offend the customs officers at Kennedy as it has now been there for four days based on Royal Mail tracking. I hope some nefarious character didn't take my sweater's family hostage back in the UK and force my sweater into becoming a drug mule or something.

Come now, my dear chap, you know we are much too well-behaved in the UK to do things like that. ...

Come now, my dear chap, you know we are much too well-behaved in the UK to do things like that. ...

I agree and assumed it was an American running the sweater-as-drug-mule ring out of the UK and forcing my good, kind-hearted UK sweater to engage in such an act to help its family against the brutish American drug lord.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I agree and assumed it was an American running the sweater-as-drug-mule ring out of the UK and forcing my good, kind-hearted UK sweater to engage in such an act to help its family against the brutish American drug lord.
Our government is so desperate for friends now that it would probably do a 'trade deal' with the drug lord in question. ...

Our government is so desperate for friends now that it would probably do a 'trade deal' with the drug lord in question. ...

Watch me try to thread a needle (pun accidental). I am not going to opine on Brexit - as my at-several-thousand-miles-away-and-not-a-citizen opinion is not important - and regardless of what our leaders do / say, I still feel a special relationship between our countries and support England and wish it the best as it navigates Brexit.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Watch me try to thread a needle (pun accidental). I am not going to opine on Brexit - as my at-several-thousand-miles-away-and-not-a-citizen opinion is not important - and regardless of what our leaders do / say, I still feel a special relationship between our countries and support England and wish it the best as it navigates Brexit.

I get the pun of course. I work just outside the Square Mile and within walking distance of Threadneedle Street.
Thanks for your good wishes: we need them. You might have opened a can of worms with some readers by saying 'England' rather than mentioning the constituent parts of the UK. ... But they'll forgive you because you're American. ...
I love your country as well, have many friends there and always feel at home when I visit.

My drug-mule sweater is still being interrogated at Kennedy (according to Royal Mail tracking).

I picture it scared, sitting on a hard metal chair in a bare room with a single overhead Edison bulb on a cord swinging over the middle of a table facing an intimidating customs officer who's asking clipped, direct questions in rapid-fire succession.

And lo and behold, look who finally made it out of customs. When it knocked on my door, it practically fell over the threshold and only a stiff shot of Scotch Whiskey brought it around. Being British and stoic, when I asked it about its ordeal in customs, it said, "that is something we need never talk about or refer to again - let's carry on."

North Sea Clothing, 100% Wool, Navy/Grey Marl "Diver" Sweater:

From NSC Website:

An updated version of the classic Royal Navy Submariner sweater.

The Diver roll neck is made with a chunkier knit and an inset sleeve rather than the drop shoulder of our Original Submariner.

The inset sleeve makes it a slimmer fit than our Original Submariner.

Neck seams are reinforced on the inside, to the same spec as the Original British Navy Submariner Sweaters.

Signature N.S.C longer ribbed waist and cuffs for extra warmth.

Made in England with 100% British wool.

New colours available for Autumn/Winter 2016 are Grey Marl (available here) Orange Marl and Orange.
Also available in Navy blue, Ecru and Yellow.

All sweaters come packaged in a 100% cotton drawstring branded bag.
My quick-and-dirty review: like the other two that I have from North Sea Clothing, this is an impressive article of clothing. Very heavy wool, very tight weave, seams insanely reinforced and the cuffs and waistband are tight, long and made to take abuse - this puppy was built to last. Also, the look and feel are classic. Another word that comes to mind is substantial - it has presence. The color is a wonderful navy/grey marl that my girlfriend immediately said she wanted to get in a sweater for herself - it is a "rich" color in the sense of a deep dye and interesting reflection of light. I have nothing but praise for it.

And now, the thing you really care about - the pictures:

It appears lighter in this shot than it is, the other pictures more accurately reflect its color

And it comes with a nice cotton drawstring bag which is how I store them

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Thank you. When I emailed to enquire about it, they told me the color/fabric proved very popular and they sold out a lot of sizes very quickly. I bought one of the last two in my size.
Perhaps the sweater was held captive until it was able to answer the question: 'what is Aleppo?'

Amir

New in Town
The image of the Diver sweater appears to be "North Sea Neil" Starr, founder of NSC:

diver_grey_marl_2_zpsdwtwieq8.jpg

The image of the Diver sweater appears to be "North Sea Neil" Starr, founder of NSC:

View attachment 60417

Oh for God sakes, it's not a model. The guy looks like that and founded the company - the measure of my failure in life keeps get larger by the day.

I might have to send my sweater back simply because I'm not worthy and not even ask for a refund. Just send it to them with a note of apology.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Oh for God sakes, it's not a model. The guy looks like that and founded the company - the measure of my failure in life keeps get larger by the day.

I might have to send my sweater back simply because I'm not worthy and not even ask for a refund. Just send it to them with a note of apology.

The company founder is a far better advert for the sweater than most of the twinks used as male models these days. He's rugged, manly, outdoorsy: what could be better, especially for this type of product.
I hope you're wearing your sweater with great enjoyment. It's a nice Woolly Pully day here in London.

The company founder is a far better advert for the sweater than most of the twinks used as male models these days. He's rugged, manly, outdoorsy: what could be better, especially for this type of product.
I hope you're wearing your sweater with great enjoyment. It's a nice Woolly Pully day here in London.

"Rugged, manly, outdoorsy -" couldn't agree more. He's a great model for it and that he's the founder is outstanding both as he avoided the "twinks" (must be a British term, but I get it form context*) and there's something very cool about the founder modeling his own stuff as it makes you feel he really believes in it.

Also, I have to apologize to him for criticizing the way he wore the neck not folded down as per tradition - when you are the founder of the company, you get to wear the sweater any darn way you want, IMHO.

* And I love it - great word

...I hope you're wearing your sweater with great enjoyment. It's a nice Woolly Pully day here in London.

Today it's going to get up to about 60 degrees Fahrenheit or something in Celsius which is way too warm for the North Sea sweater. That thing is built to be worn on the deck of a ship in the North Atlantic, just trying it on when it came, I nearly broke into a sweat. It will have to be in the forties (or something Celsius) for me to even think about it.

And believe me, I'm monitoring the weather as it will be worn the first cold-enough day. Currently wearing a nondescript normal wool turtleneck which is perfect for today, but would be useless on the aforementioned ship in the North Atlantic :).

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
"Rugged, manly, outdoorsy -" couldn't agree more. He's a great model for it and that he's the founder is outstanding both as he avoided the "twinks" (must be a British term, but I get it form context*) and there's something very cool about the founder modeling his own stuff as it makes you feel he really believes in it.

Also, I have to apologize to him for criticizing the way he wore the neck not folded down as per tradition - when you are the founder of the company, you get to wear the sweater any darn way you want, IMHO.

* And I love it - great word
I notice that the word 'twink' has quite a rich history: there's even a 'backronym' - I think it's 'twenties, white, into no kinks'. It is, it transpires, British in origin, although it is now used in the States.

The founder is a great model for the sweater - I am going to go for the fisherman's in the same colour: yours is not available in my size.

Today it's going to get up to about 60 degrees Fahrenheit or something in Celsius which is way too warm for the North Sea sweater. That thing is built to be worn on the deck of a ship in the North Atlantic, just trying it on when it came, I nearly broke into a sweat. It will have to be in the forties (or something Celsius) for me to even think about it.

And believe me, I'm monitoring the weather as it will be worn the first cold-enough day. Currently wearing a nondescript normal wool turtleneck which is perfect for today, but would be useless on the aforementioned ship in the North Atlantic :).

Yes, the 40s - and below - would be perfect for this sweater. It's back into the early 40s here, after a dispiriting grey-mild spell for a couple of days, and so I am enjoying my Navy Guernsey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider